Fokker Spin III, scale 1:48, scratch build

Good morning Johan….now we are talking!!!….Cheers Grant
You gave the engine a very nice up-date, Johan. I can imaging the sound out of those open pipes ………
Regards, Peter
Grant, Peter, even at this scale I have this need to detail the components to enliven the model. It also appears as if the model is taking over; I add a certain detail, which then in turn triggers the need for another one.
While working on the engine, I am already thinking about the fuel tank, radiators, the stick, pilot seat, tail, etc, etc.
To be honest, the more time I spend on the model, the more I become involved; I am even growing fond of this little gem.

Grant, Peter, even at this scale I have this need to detail the components to enliven the model. It also appears as if the model is taking over; I add a certain detail, which then in turn triggers the need for another one.
While working on the engine, I am already thinking about the fuel tank, radiators, the stick, pilot seat, tail, etc, etc.
To be honest, the more time I spend on the model, the more I become involved; I am even growing fond of this little gem.
Good morning Johan. This hobby gets addictive. The addition of more detail….. and then just a little more…..and soon a small project becomes bigger with more challenges. Just the way we like it:D. Cheers Grant

Oké, yesterday I experienced a severe setback: I took some critical dimensions from the wrong drawing set.
Result : some parts were oké, but essentially all struts were too short. I discovered this because I was fit checking the fuel tank installation between the fwd V-strut assembly. Here I ran to an interference between tank and engine, which was not supposed to be there. I tried to salvage the issue by a slight mod to the engine, but still didn't get any clearance.
So back to the drawings and here I found that all my struts were 3.5mm too short.
Long story short; the only parts still usable are the skids of the landing gear, the rest of it got the disposition "use as scrap". Sick:eek:

Oké, yesterday I experienced a severe setback: I took some critical dimensions from the wrong drawing set.
Result : some parts were oké, but essentially all struts were too short. I discovered this because I was fit checking the fuel tank installation between the fwd V-strut assembly. Here I ran to an interference between tank and engine, which was not supposed to be there. I tried to salvage the issue by a slight mod to the engine, but still didn't get any clearance.
So back to the drawings and here I found that all my struts were 3.5mm too short.
Long story short; the only parts still usable are the skids of the landing gear, the rest of it got the disposition "use as scrap". Sick:eek:
That are the ‘pros and cons’ of scratch building, Johan. But I am sure that the new part are better. I don't mean in terms of dimensions, but progressive insight into materials and finishing.
Regards, Peter

That are the ‘pros and cons’ of scratch building, Johan. But I am sure that the new part are better. I don't mean in terms of dimensions, but progressive insight into materials and finishing.
Regards, Peter
You're right, there are no, at least to me, known best practices to approach a scratch build like this, so it's building up the necessary experience. Taking a step back also means evaluation time and using the gained experience.
But for now it's enjoying the agreeable weather for as long as it lasts...

I did a similar thing last week, I printed the sideview of my ship with the wales. I forget to set the printer to true dimensions. The drawing was smaller then it has to be. 1,5 hour measuring and marking when I discover the mistake.
Pros and cons indeed

I did a similar thing last week, I printed the sideview of my ship with the wales. I forget to set the printer to true dimensions. The drawing was smaller then it has to be. 1,5 hour measuring and marking when I discover the mistake.
Pros and cons indeed
Way too recognizable... And before you realize what the root cause is...
Ouch. That one hurts Johan.
It sure does, Paul, it sure does.
Time to call the Aircrash Investigation Team ……. :eek:
They're already on the scene of the accident and they're not easy.

I started my own scrapyard, so far I added a failed attempt at a dory for my BN, two fuselage frame parts with some struts for the Fokker Spin and a blown-up Argus engine, also for the Spin:
IMG_1886.jpeg

Apart from being busy adding stuff to my scrapyard, I also restarted work on the Spin itself.
New longerons were cut, as well as close to all already fabricated struts were being re-made. Also the assembly started again and again I am amazed by how much rigidity is added once you start assembling stuff.
Some minor mods were made to facilitate the future addition of the numerous wires.
Also made was the landing gear axle with the skid and two control arms.
Below a picture of the current status of the build. Still a lot of fiddling is required before fit for use, but I am not too dissatisfied with the results.

IMG_1885.jpeg

I started my own scrapyard, so far I added a failed attempt at a dory for my BN, two fuselage frame parts with some struts for the Fokker Spin and a blown-up Argus engine, also for the Spin:
View attachment 447493

Apart from being busy adding stuff to my scrapyard, I also restarted work on the Spin itself.
New longerons were cut, as well as close to all already fabricated struts were being re-made. Also the assembly started again and again I am amazed by how much rigidity is added once you start assembling stuff.
Some minor mods were made to facilitate the future addition of the numerous wires.
Also made was the landing gear axle with the skid and two control arms.
Below a picture of the current status of the build. Still a lot of fiddling is required before fit for use, but I am not too dissatisfied with the results.

View attachment 447491
That is a very fine re-do, Johan. Your scratch leaning curve is ok.:) And your are right, some small parts can get a lot of rigidity.
PS-1: Hopefully your scrapyard will not increase rapidly. ;)
PS-2: Thumbsupfor the blue lined cutting mat. :D One of the better ones here on the SoS.
Regards, Peter

Back