Gertrude L. Thebaud

The Gloucester fishing Schooner Gertrude L Thebaud, by Marine Model Co., Inc. This is from a kit labelled 'Model No. 1090'. I used only the hull block portion of the kit, the remainder was scratch built (with emphasis on creating a higher detailed outcome). Scale is 1:96 and the build, including the figures, was done to represent a time when the GLT was preparing for the International Fisherman's Races with the Bluenose. On deck during a trial sail are Capt. Ben Pine, Capt. Howard Blackburn, Capt. Louis Thebaud and helmsman John Matheson.

DSCN2323.jpg

DSCN2332.jpg

IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1882.jpg

IMG_2281.jpg

IMG_2360.png

IMG_9157.jpg

first of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Your Gertrude ( a real german first name ) is looking very good - Congratulations for this scratch - kit bashing -> very good work

Thank you for your comments...though no 'kit bashing' intended. I bought kit / box online and I wasn't satisfied with how they depicted the finished model. So, I decided to make changes that would make me happy with the final outcome.

The Gloucester fishing Schooner Gertrude L Thebaud, by Marine Model Co., Inc. This is from a kit labelled 'Model No. 1090'. I used only the hull block portion of the kit, the remainder was scratch built (with emphasis on creating a higher detailed outcome). Scale is 1:96 and the build, including the figures, was done to represent a time when the GLT was preparing for the International Fisherman's Races with the Bluenose. On deck during a trial sail are Capt. Ben Pine, Capt. Howard Blackburn, Capt. Louis Thebaud and helmsman John Matheson.

View attachment 437660

View attachment 437661

View attachment 437662

View attachment 437663

View attachment 437664

View attachment 437665

View attachment 437666

View attachment 437667
A very nice model of the schooner Gertrude L Thebaud. The little figures makes here coming alive.
Regards, Peter

I was glad to see the finished model. The original was built at the Essex Massachusetts boat yard. My family had pictures of my grandfather, Joseph Geary and my father, John Geary, both carpenters, working on the deck. Very proud of both of them.

Glad to see your comment and read about your family's history with the GLT and the Story shipyard. It was a great time to be a "Gloucester-man' with so many great schooners being built along Essex. I last visited while I was building my model and had with me photos from 'back in day' to compare with the present-day area. Some big changes and some pleasant surprises. This time frame (1890 -1930's) is one of my favorites in the development of the fishing schooners; with some many great boats being built.

It would be great if you could share your family's shipyard photos with us.

I see that you're a 'Glosta-Native', I grew up in Gloucester before moving to the SE of MA. My family has always been connected to the sea with my great-grandfather, grandfather and father all working as fishermen. I wasn't encouraged to follow such a hard life. But all the same I did go to sea in the Merchant Marine, retiring as a Master Mariner Unlimited.

28d831df7bfd40ee046a3de94464b3e0.jpg

GLTstarboard1931.jpg

Excellent job on the Thebaud! This is a model I have wanted to build for some time. I have complete the Bluenose at this scale and would like to create a combo of both ships. My Bluenose model represents the 1938 arrival into Gloucester. My family roots are anchored in Gloucester. So I can appreciate your Thebaud model all the more. I am currently working on a YouTube video of my Bluenose build to be released soon. I started producing videos of models to share and have a video "Artist view of Cape Ann" of my Cape Ann paintings. YouTube search: Carl Whitten Artist. For members visiting Gloucester check out the Cape Ann and Gloucester Maritime museums for schooner models. Photo attached is The Thebaud model Gloucester Maritime. Also my Bluenose home model.

ThebaudSchoonerGloucesterMaritimecopy.jpg

BluenoseSchooner copy.jpg

Carl, thanks for your comments. Beautiful job on your model of the BLUENOSE; and looking forward to seeing your build video when it is released. I like the way you included the medallion in the display. I have the 350th Anniversary set, including Gloucester medallion, and was thinking of doing the same with my display or a future one. I have a few more schooners in mind, COLUMBIA, BLUSENOSE, BENIJAM W. LATHAM, HENRY FORD and the America's Cup AMERICA. Now I just need to find the time. But my next build will be a New Bedford Whaleboat.

Yeah, schooners are one of my favorite types of sail craft and growing up in the Cape Ann area just strengthens that feeling.

Just to add a note for anyone visiting the Cape Ann area, don't forget to stop in at Essex, MA and visit the ESSEX HISTORICAL SOCIETY & SHIPBUILDING MUSEUM. which is on the site of the A.D. Story boatyard where many of a great schooner was built. Great source for reference material with many models on display very knowledgeable staff on hand to answer questions.

Back