HMS Hood - 1/200 (with Pontos PE) - Build Log

Well, it had to happen. With three ships now in various stages of completion, I felt the unsuppresible urge to start something new. One day, I will finish a build again, but for now I need a new focus.

I've had the Trumpeter 1/200 HMS Hood in my stash for about 6 years, so she has now been officially dusted off and unboxed. When I got her I was fresh into retirement, with a lot of things happening, so decided to get everything at once to support the build, including the Points Detail Up Set and two reference books. I have been fascinated with this ship, her history and her very sad end at the Battle of Denmark Strait on 24 May 1941 since I was quite young.

Hood box.jpgPontosHood.jpg
Hood Taylor Book.JPG Hood 3D.jpg
With a quick search of YouTube I've located a couple of detailed build videos for the kit and have removed the one piece hull and decks from the kit box to begin initial preparations. What can I say, the 1/200 scale provides a large model for what was an impressive and, for her time, complex warship.
Hood Hull.jpeg
I'm excited to start this build and look forward to giving it the time and detail the historic vessel deserves.

As a Veteran of nearly 40 years service, a portion of which was with our Navy, I wish to dedicate this build to the memory of the 1,415 sailors who made the ultimate sacrifice in the service of their nation.

Rest In Honour
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited:
Hi Steve, welcome to us Hood Builders.
Couple of excellent references for you to check into. First off, The HMS Hood Association website. A must -have resourse.
then "On The Slipway " website by EJ Foerth, he is scratchbuilding THE most detailed model of the ship on this planet.
And for detailed accessories, look at MicroMaster for guns, boats door, rafts, a whole bunch of stuff.
Well done on getting the Pontos set, it does correct a number of kit inaccuracies. Take your time, and check the references. You will have a great model of a great ship.
Oh, Yes, Colour Coats paint is the best for shades, and they have an accurate paint plan in colour on their website. The kit colour chart is useless. (Grey antifouling below the waterline please, NOT red).
Regards, Pete in RI

Also look at Model Warships.com for other builds, go in "picture post" then "works in progress" to find them, and Britmodeller.com has a couple too.

Hi Steve, welcome to us Hood Builders.
Couple of excellent references for you to check into. First off, The HMS Hood Association website. A must -have resourse.
then "On The Slipway " website by EJ Foerth, he is scratchbuilding THE most detailed model of the ship on this planet.
And for detailed accessories, look at MicroMaster for guns, boats door, rafts, a whole bunch of stuff.
Well done on getting the Pontos set, it does correct a number of kit inaccuracies. Take your time, and check the references. You will have a great model of a great ship.
Oh, Yes, Colour Coats paint is the best for shades, and they have an accurate paint plan in colour on their website. The kit colour chart is useless. (Grey antifouling below the waterline please, NOT red).
Regards, Pete in RI
Hey Pete,
Thanks for the tips and feedback. Yep, been visiting the Hood association website for many years; an awesome repository of information. Was quick to notice the Trumpeter paint chart was pretty pointless, so appreciate your recommendations.
Cheers,
Steve

You're welcome Steve. Am still working on the basic hull on mine, with a few superstructure mods done as well. You will probably catch up and pass me in short order.

Ah, I saw the "don't tread on me" flag and thought that was an RI one. My wife corrected me later when I mentioned it to her, lol.

Back