Learning to make metal parts- Books? Tips?

Hi everyone,
I just got done looking at yet another posting with a top notch model and metal work that blew my mind. This included everything from hooks, thimbles, and block straps to complicated mast caps, lanterns, and more. I can do a small amount of very basic metalwork but it would take a really long time to experiment to the point where I could make some of these thing. Is there a good single source such as a book to get a strong start in this art within the art?

Glenn

Hi everyone,
I just got done looking at yet another posting with a top notch model and metal work that blew my mind. This included everything from hooks, thimbles, and block straps to complicated mast caps, lanterns, and more. I can do a small amount of very basic metalwork but it would take a really long time to experiment to the point where I could make some of these thing. Is there a good single source such as a book to get a strong start in this art within the art?

Glenn
Hi glennb, the manuals are for equipment and the use of machinery but, I don't think there are manuals for how to make pieces, forgive me do you have machinery practice? Frank

Hi Frank,
Thanks for the reply. I don't have machinery practice. I bought a friend's relatively unused Unimat 6-1 and just bought a book, been looking for the time but am moving. But that's it, nothing but theory.

I've seen lots of great metalwork but was especially inspired this week by Kerz Atao F14800. Here's a couple of screenshots of things that seem like secret magic to me.
BTW, I hope it's ok to post some screen shots. Here's the link to the original thread, really great workmanship, well worth the time to browse.

1667749228259.png
1667749280135.png
1667749408398.png
Is it just a matter of tracking these things down one-by-one, keep looking through posts and hope someone puts up enough detail to figure it out?

Thanks,
Glenn

Ciao Franco,
Grazie per la risposta. Non ho pratica di macchinari. Ho comprato l'Unimat 6-1 relativamente inutilizzato di un amico e ho appena comprato un libro, stavo cercando il tempo ma mi sto muovendo. Ma questo è tutto, nient'altro che teoria.

Ho visto un sacco di grandi opere in metallo, ma questa settimana sono stato particolarmente ispirato da Kerz Atao F14800. Ecco un paio di screenshot di cose che mi sembrano magia segreta.
A proposito, spero che sia giusto pubblicare alcune schermate. Ecco il link al thread originale, davvero di ottima fattura, vale la pena sfogliare.

[ALLEGARE=completo]338833[/ALLEGARE]
[ALLEGARE=completo]338834[/ALLEGARE]
[ALLEGARE=completo]338836[/ALLEGARE]
Si tratta solo di rintracciare queste cose una per una, continuare a guardare i post e sperare che qualcuno metta abbastanza dettagli per capirlo?

Grazie,
Glenn
Ciao glennb, alcuni dettagli che mi piace fare

WP_20190402_16_58_27_Pro.jpg

WP_20190402_16_58_55_Pro.jpg

008 (3).JPG

149.JPG

DSC00088.JPG

20201109_105624.jpg

20201106_105029.jpg

20201104_115529.jpg

DSC00091.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Frank,
Thanks for the reply. I don't have machinery practice. I bought a friend's relatively unused Unimat 6-1 and just bought a book, been looking for the time but am moving. But that's it, nothing but theory.

I've seen lots of great metalwork but was especially inspired this week by Kerz Atao F14800. Here's a couple of screenshots of things that seem like secret magic to me.
BTW, I hope it's ok to post some screen shots. Here's the link to the original thread, really great workmanship, well worth the time to browse.

View attachment 338833
View attachment 338834
View attachment 338836
Is it just a matter of tracking these things down one-by-one, keep looking through posts and hope someone puts up enough detail to figure it out?

Thanks,
Glenn
Hallo Glenn.
I fully agree with your words about the work by @Kerz Atao F14800
I would be also happy, if there would be a book or maunal existing, describing of how to make good metal works in modeling.
Unfortunately I do not know any publication. It would be a best seller!
The best and the only way in moment is to read and remember good building logs, in which the members are decsribing there ways and methods

I am a big fan of Johanns alias @archjofo work

and there are several other modelers showing and sharing their great workmanship
We have to loook and learn......

Hello,
Following the reading of your previous messages I point out to you two excellent books. They are in French and can be easily translated with Google, for example.
I don't know if they are still in print, but if you find them for sale, don't hesitate.
Cordially

IMG_6964.jpgIMG_6966.jpgIMG_6963.jpgIMG_6961.jpgIMG_6962.jpgIMG_6967.jpgIMG_6968.jpgIMG_6969.jpgIMG_6970.jpg

Hello,
Following the reading of your previous messages I point out to you two excellent books. They are in French and can be easily translated with Google, for example.
I don't know if they are still in print, but if you find them for sale, don't hesitate.
Cordially

View attachment 339298View attachment 339299View attachment 339300View attachment 339301View attachment 339302View attachment 339303View attachment 339304View attachment 339305View attachment 339306
They are very rare and only available on the used market - and because of the rareness relatively expensive - but very good!!!

Hallo Glenn.
I fully agree with your words about the work by @Kerz Atao F14800
I would be also happy, if there would be a book or maunal existing, describing of how to make good metal works in modeling.
Unfortunately I do not know any publication. It would be a best seller!
The best and the only way in moment is to read and remember good building logs, in which the members are decsribing there ways and methods

I am a big fan of Johanns alias @archjofo work

and there are several other modelers showing and sharing their great workmanship
We have to loook and learn......
Hi Uwe,
I am familiar with Johann's build log and every time I go through it, it's like "wow!". Just mind blowing stuff. I've tried to execute a short splice to form a grommet for stropping a 1/4" block as he dioes for much smaller blocks, and I just can't do it. I did find a 3D designer as well as a jeweler as he suggested to make some brass hooks for my Philadelphia model guns (they are big enough where the details kind of stick out).
1667919628597.png

I am still working on the best way to do the hooks, Johann looks like he arrived at having them cast in the unbent form. But his work has inspired me, even at my early stage of my modelling hobby. Now I just have to figure out how he made that die for the thimbles. I have a lot of questions for him too.

Glenn

Hello,
Cordially

View attachment 339298View attachment 339299View attachment 339300View attachment 339301View attachment 339302View attachment 339303View attachment 339304View attachment 339305View attachment 339306
I really appreciate your input on this. I'll start the search for the books now, I like to find this stuff for fun anyway. And again, amazing work! Very inspiring. Another source I found for a few item's was one of Bernard Frolich's books published by ANCRE, luckily in an English version. He makes the most amazing pots and kettles amongst many other things.

Thanks again for the inspiration!

Glenn

Glenn

Hi Frank,
Just seeing this, that's great worksmanship! I can't even find the bar stock you are using as straps for the blocks, sad I know. I love looking this stuff over because it says it's possible. Thanks for sharing, great stuff!
Thanks, Hi Glenn, I'm glad to hear you say that I'm encouraging you to do them too

Hola a todos,
Acabo de terminar de ver otra publicación con un modelo de primer nivel y un trabajo en metal que me dejó alucinado . Esto incluía todo, desde ganchos, dedales y correas de bloque hasta complicadas tapas de mástil, linternas y más. Puedo hacer una pequeña cantidad de trabajo en metal muy básico, pero me llevaría mucho tiempo experimentar hasta el punto en que pudiera hacer algunas de estas cosas. ¿Hay una buena fuente única, como un libro, para comenzar con fuerza en este arte dentro del arte?
Me temo que no
glenn
Me temo que no

Have you researched Lost Wax Casting?
I actually had some of that done to make my hooks, they look great (despite my pictures). Next time I'll do it on a sprue and make it all much more economical. Castings can be relatively expensive but they are convenient and take a lot less trial and error. Not that I don't enjoy a challenge.

I was also, so impressed by the metalwork shown in Kerz Atao F14800 post that I too wanted to know more on how this was done. I purchased and received the Complete Metalsmith Professional edition by Tim McCreight. This book provides a wealth of information on materials, tools, shaping, surfaces, joining, color, finishing, casting, chains, findings and mechanisms. Although this book seems to be geared towards jewelry making, I hope that the techniques would be applicable to small metal parts for ship modeling. Still working my way through the book.

Back