Mini mill setup challenges.

I’m having a challenging time getting a zero setup on my mini mill (both Proxxon MF70 and FF230). I do not have a DRO (digital readout) installed just the knobs on the X, Y and Z axis. I’m getting pretty good at anchoring the work pieces on the X/Y table or in a clamp. My problem is finding the zero starting point. I understand the mechanics of an edge finder but have not gotten one yet. But even finding the edge with an edge finder one still has to extrapolate the zero position for a 1mm end mill…
What about figuring out zero for the top of a piece (Z axis). I’ve tried sliding a piece of paper under the end mill with limited success other than torn paper…
Any ideas, tricks or expertise would be wonderful.
Thanks all! Fair winds and following seas to you…

Gee I wish I could help you, The only thing I know using a mill is doing the work/operating visual which works pretty good but not perfect so if you don't mint I will ride along and learn!

I'm looking forward to any answers you receive. I have the M70 but as yet haven't used it apart from a little practice and breaking two expensive 1mm cutters. Hope assistance is forthcoming, Cheers O

Most of work I do on the mill is wood processing for our hobby. It is more than enough for our hobby to use one's eye for the staring point.

Most of work I do on the mill is wood processing for our hobby. It is more than enough for our hobby to use one's eye for the staring point.
Thanks Y.T. I too have been “eyeballing” and sneaking up on edges and limits but I was hoping for some better ways or options for more accurate setups.
Maybe some other folks have more info to share.

Back