OcCre limited edition HMS Victory build.

Neilm,
Excellent progress - This ship has always so intimidated me. This limited series example might change my mind.
Probably need to rush to get one - looks as if they may sell out. Already at #467...

Your work is very good indeed - will enjoy following along. Great start. Regarding rigging - yes very intimidating, though I would think that this kit's instructions
would be very thorough in that regard?

Cheers,
Yes. Very detailed information and instructions on rigging. Pages of them! It just seems soooo much of them.
I expect like most things, stage by stage.

Little more done. Cannons in situ. As Julian stated, no point in over doing the real detail as most is unseen as the decks build.
Only afterwards I realised that I have used a couple of smaller cannon barrels, but hopefully no one cares too much. I didn’t realise there were three different sizes.
Other bits added, and some very fiddly bits also.
Now working on the next level deck

IMG_0639.jpeg

IMG_0641.jpeg

IMG_0642.jpeg

IMG_0645.jpeg

IMG_0646.jpeg

IMG_0647.jpeg

IMG_0650.jpeg

IMG_0651.jpeg

IMG_0653.jpeg

IMG_0655.jpeg

IMG_0654.jpeg

Little more done. Cannons in situ. As Julian stated, no point in over doing the real detail as most is unseen as the decks build.
Only afterwards I realised that I have used a couple of smaller cannon barrels, but hopefully no one cares too much. I didn’t realise there were three different sizes.
Other bits added, and some very fiddly bits also.
Now working on the next level deck

View attachment 439153

View attachment 439154

View attachment 439155

View attachment 439156

View attachment 439157

View attachment 439158

View attachment 439159

View attachment 439160

View attachment 439161

View attachment 439162

View attachment 439163
Why do your gallery windows look like an old factory in Detroit? Did the vandals do that?
1712008720339.png

Another deck now done with cannons in situ.
I have decided not to put the deck floor beam noggins in as they will not be seen when the upper decks are done.
Same with the cannon detail.
Just seems a waste of effort for something not visible when the build is complete.
Some purists may not agree, but I would rather concentrate on a higher standard of build that will be visible.

IMG_0683.jpeg

IMG_0684.jpeg

IMG_0685.jpeg

IMG_0686.jpeg

It's not a complete waste of effort to outfit the interior at all. I built all three gun decks on the Sovereign, complete with fully rigged guns and full internal structure and fittings, and none of it will be visible without using a borescope. Why? 1) it was fun, and 2) I don't care that no one else can see it, because I KNOW that it's all in there! Besides, if you look in the stern chase gun ports or peer around the guns on the broadsides, you can see a lot when the internal model's lights are on. It all depends on how crazy you want to get adding things. Long after I'm gone, future custodians of this model may someday re-discover what's inside and marvel. Can't wait to start on the stern castle interior decks.

Lower gun deck using a borescope. Looks surprising real.
575 Endoscope View.jpg

Lower gun deck, showing chain pumps, some beams and columns installed, and messenger cable nibbled to the port anchor hawser.
588 Added Pillars and Supports.jpg

Middle gun deck showing capstan, guns and other fittings.
834 Mark Locations of Beams on Deck Support Strip.jpg

Middle gun deck with upper gun deck supports installed.
643 Overall View.jpg

Upper gun deck as the model currently is.
1416 Progress So Far.jpg

Middle gun deck showing capstan, guns and other fittings.
834 Mark Locations of Beams on Deck Support Strip.jpg
It seems there were no torpedoes in those days ROTF ROTF ROTF

Another really helpful tip for any new builds of this model is as follows…
Early in the build when the basic keel and ribs are installed, drill a small pilot hole in the centre of the mast supports. Stage 49. 112,138, before fitting them.
Then drill and put a pin in the centre of each future mast .
You will always have a true accurate guide position as the build develops because lining up the mast holes through each floor level will ensure everything is lined up.
Few pics …

IMG_0700.jpeg

IMG_0703.jpeg

IMG_0702.jpeg

Another really helpful tip for any new builds of this model is as follows…
Early in the build when the basic keel and ribs are installed, drill a small pilot hole in the centre of the mast supports. Stage 49. 112,138, before fitting them.
Then drill and put a pin in the centre of each future mast .
You will always have a true accurate guide position as the build develops because lining up the mast holes through each floor level will ensure everything is lined up.
Few pics …

View attachment 440711

View attachment 440712

View attachment 440713
The small pin in the center of the base of the mast, with the idea of aligning the holes on the decks, is very useful. Beautiful pictures, amazing job.

Many thanks Kenny and Adry.
Played around with the cannonball holders? . As pics show I first tried 1.5 mm between holes, but too close and the balls wouldn’t sit properly so in the end, opted for 2.5 mm spacing and sits nicely. I also used a 1.5mm drill bit, and the balls sit in the hole shoulders perfectly with a bit of superglue.

IMG_0723.jpeg

IMG_0720.jpeg

IMG_0721.jpeg

IMG_0730.jpeg

IMG_0729.jpeg

Making the cannons today.
Big tip and warning to any others building this kit. LOOK AFTER YOUR WHEELS!
OcCre are so tight with these, I think they give the exact number of each size. I was a few short as I dropped and lost a couple and casually thought , “ there’s bound to be a few spare”
Not so. Had to made a few from spare rod I had.
TAKE CARE OF EVERY SINGLE ONE.

IMG_0733.jpeg

IMG_0734.jpeg

A question here ?
Do I cut into the hull a little to fix these or just angle them and surface mount them. ?
The instructions are a bit vague.
How do other victory kits suggest.
Many thanks.

IMG_0736.jpeg

IMG_0737.jpeg

IMG_0738.jpeg

IMG_0739.jpeg

A question here ?
Do I cut into the hull a little to fix these or just angle them and surface mount them. ?
The instructions are a bit vague.
How do other victory kits suggest.
Many thanks.

View attachment 441161

View attachment 441162

View attachment 441163

View attachment 441164
I guess you mean the installation of the catheads, or?
Maybe no damage of the hull is necessary - you see there minimum two knees (8.153 and 8.154) which have to be also to be installed and which stabilize the cathead - I can imagine, that a wire or a pin (with a drilled hole into the planking) will be enough.

I guess you mean the installation of the catheads, or?
Maybe no damage of the hull is necessary - you see there minimum two knees (8.153 and 8.154) which have to be also to be installed and which stabilize the cathead - I can imagine, that a wire or a pin (with a drilled hole into the planking) will be enough.
Many thanks Uwek. Been holding back on this so really grateful. I’m just a bit over cautious.
I will press on . Thank you.
Really appreciate your advice and help.

Last edited:
So much of this work will eventually be hidden so it’s a matter of picking the most prominent and visible bits.
It really is a lovely kit.
Main bit now is the actual finishing detail as reaching the top deck will show every subtle part.
Starting to get a lot heavier now. Those cannons weigh quite a bit. Just a few to go on the main deck, so will pay more attention to the finish.

Back