Sinking of the Moskva

I was asked by a friend of mine that served on the USS Truman, CVN 75 to build a model of the Russian vessel Moskva that was sunk on the Black Sea on April 14, 2022. I elected to use Trumpeter's 1:350 scale model that I found to be nicely detailed and a good scale to accommodate a diorama. I used a binary modeling clay to replicated the ocean and outfitted the ship with LEDs to capture internal lighting and the fire that broke out amid ship. I used fiber fill to replicated the smoke and fire. I ordered a custom made acrylic case for the model and placed it on a solid maple wooden base. The project took three months and was joy to build - hope you like it.

tempImageC5ao44.png

IMG_4055.jpeg

IMG_4142.jpeg

IMG_4160.jpeg

IMG_4143.jpeg

IMG_4169.jpeg

IMG_4180.jpeg

IMG_4179.jpeg

IMG_4178.jpeg

Curious minds want to know how you accomplished the smoke and fire on your model.
Your diorama looks great.

Curious minds want to know how you accomplished the smoke and fire on your model.
Your diorama looks great.
Thank you very much! I used fiber fill or Teddy Bear stuffing for the smoke. I used my air gun to spray black, grey and orange sporadically on the stuffing. I then used a hot glue gun to secure support wires into the port side smoke stack and then fitted the stuffing over the wires and tucking it into the stack. The stack also has an orange LED light in it to add to the effect (not pictured here).

Thank you very much! I used fiber fill or Teddy Bear stuffing for the smoke. I used my air gun to spray black, grey and orange sporadically on the stuffing. I then used a hot glue gun to secure support wires into the port side smoke stack and then fitted the stuffing over the wires and tucking it into the stack. The stack also has an orange LED light in it to add to the effect (not pictured here).
Very ingenious

great job!
Only a small detail, but the fire and damage on the photo seems to be at the bow whereas you have depicted it at the stern.
any reason?

great job!
Only a small detail, but the fire and damage on the photo seems to be at the bow whereas you have depicted it at the stern.
any reason?
Thank you! The damage is actually amid ship on the port side stack where the typhoon missiles impacted as replicated in my model.

Back