What does it mean"SCRATCH" ?

That is English idiom. "Built from scratch" means being built from start to finish from all parts made by yourself.

You use the term ‘Start from Scratch’ to indicate that you’re beginning from the very start without previous preparation or advantage.
The term ‘start from scratch’ comes from the game of cricket, where strikers are admonished to keep their bats on the scratch line. The term was first seen in 1778.
Build a computer from scratch then look the expression up on Google.

You use the term ‘Start from Scratch’ to indicate that you’re beginning from the very start without previous preparation or advantage.
The term ‘start from scratch’ comes from the game of cricket, where strikers are admonished to keep their bats on the scratch line. The term was first seen in 1778.
Build a computer from scratch then look the expression up on Google.
Very informative! I had no idea of the origin.

Also "scratch building" has a description in wikipedia

Scratch building is the process of building a scale model "from scratch", i.e. from raw materials, rather than building it from a commercial kit, kitbashing or buying it pre-assembled.

Scratch building is easiest if original plans of the subject exist; however, many models have been built from photographs by measuring a known object in the photograph and extrapolating the rest of the dimensions. The necessary parts are then fashioned out of a suitable material, such as wood, plastic, plaster, clay, metal, polymer clay, or even paper, and then assembled. Some purists consider a model not to be truly scratchbuilt unless all of the parts were made from raw materials. However most modellers would consider a model including commercial detail parts as scratchbuilt. Scratchbuilding a new body onto an altered ready-to-run chassis is also acceptable.

another term might be also interesting for you:

Kitbashing or model bashing is the practice of making a new scale model by taking pieces out of kits. These pieces may be added to a custom project or to another kit. For professional modelmakers, kitbashing is used to create concept models for detailing movie special effects. Commercial model kits are a ready source of "detailing", providing any number of identical, mass-produced components that can be used to add fine detail to an existing model. Professionals often kitbash to build prototype parts which are then recreated with lightweight materials

I do not have time to grow my own lime and walnut trees. Cotton will not grow in the UK. I have no foundry with which to cast cannon and anchors. I cannot cut sheet veneers to make my own plywood. I am therefore dependant on kit manufacturers and their extensive supply chains to provide me with materials and fittings.
True scratch building is not an option for me.

I do not have time to grow my own lime and walnut trees. Cotton will not grow in the UK. I have no foundry with which to cast cannon and anchors. I cannot cut sheet veneers to make my own plywood. I am therefore dependant on kit manufacturers and their extensive supply chains to provide me with materials and fittings.
True scratch building is not an option for me.
So let us make kit-bashing
to make nice models out of good quality kits even better in the details

The phrase up to scratch has its origins in the world of sports. In the 18th century, scratch began to be used for a line or mark that served as the starting point in a contest or competition. In order to begin or continue a fight, for example, a pugilist would "come up to the scratch," positioning himself at a line drawn across the prize ring. Up to the scratch was soon being used figuratively of anyone who was ready and able to do something. Over the years, the usage of the phrase has evolved somewhat, but something that is "up to scratch" can still be said to be ready and able in that it is capable of functioning or performing as expected.

I do kit bashing all the time..

View attachment 446318

bashing

noun

UK

/ˈbæʃ.ɪŋ/

strong criticism of a particular type of person or thing:

a physical attack on someone or something

3. mainly UK​

the act of hitting something hard

Different kits can invoke various interpretations of the term bashing.
Seriously rubbish kits can incur an urge to bash them with a lump hammer.
Less annoying kits may prompt the writing of a review giving them a good verbal bashing
Happily, most kits just require some revision of the detail: bashing in the usual sense employed in this forum.

It can also mean using raw materials- boards from store shelf, metal from K&S, plastic from store shelf. You can also use small bought parts like PE and fittings like anchors, blocks, etc, as long as bulk of model is scratch. Pure scratch is you build everything, but purchasing small details is still scratch.

It can also mean using raw materials- boards from store shelf, metal from K&S, plastic from store shelf. You can also use small bought parts like PE and fittings like anchors, blocks, etc, as long as bulk of model is scratch. Pure scratch is you build everything, but purchasing small details is still scratch.
This should be the contemporary definition of "scratch-building". There are so many cool parts out there, and people with a variety of technical skills all over the world, that it should be completely acceptable to use other people's skills in producing a unique model. I would include using other people's skills in CAD as acceptable material, as well.

Perhaps "scratch" should include the idea that it is a unique model.

I used to think of this as something I called the "virtual factory" where many sources are used to complete a project. The builder is the Project Manager, or "General Contractor", and does a good deal of the work themselves, but should that have to grow their own trees?

Cheers,

Rick

I used to think of this as something I called the "virtual factory" where many sources are used to complete a project. The builder is the Project Manager, or "General Contractor",

the master shipwright gets the credit for a ship that was built even though he had a crew of carpenters that actually did the work. Same is true in model ship building a master shipwright creates the project and uses whatever resources he can find.

also.. there was a comment about kit building is a craft, and scratch building is an art.
Imho both are a craft, just on a different skill level, not 'art' (that depends of course of ones definition of 'art').
That being said.. I'd rather see a beautifully built kit than a sloppy scratch build;-)

Last edited:
plz recommend information sources or books to start rigging from scratch, because hull is already done:)

in a kit build you get a thousand pieces already pre formed for you, the attached picture is of the thousand pieces in a scratch build, you just need to cut them out

View attachment 447020
Cutting them out is not quite enough. It would be best if you made sure there were no worms or other live insects, it does require klin drying before you can use the wood for modeling.

Back