Where does this rope go? Please help.

I'm working on the Occre Buccaneer and I can't figure out where rope J36 (left side of main sail) goes. J36 on the right side of the main sail goes thru pulley 'D'.

Rope J36 on the left side of the main sail goes from a balcony railing (not shown in diagram) on the deck to _________???

I've searched every picture I can find of this ship and in every single one of them rope J36 on the left side of the main sail is hidden behind the main sail so I can't see where I'm supposed to attach it.

Can anyone help me, please?

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1714016568170.png 1714016679316.png

I'm working on the Occre Buccaneer and I can't figure out where rope J36 (left side of main sail) goes. J36 on the right side of the main sail goes thru pulley 'D'.

Rope J36 on the left side of the main sail goes from a balcony railing (not shown in diagram) on the deck to _________???

I've searched every picture I can find of this ship and in every single one of them rope J36 on the left side of the main sail is hidden behind the main sail so I can't see where I'm supposed to attach it.

Can anyone help me, please?

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View attachment 443660 View attachment 443661
Hi Toni. I'm not totally sure of the answer, but most commonly sail lines are mirrored on the left and right side. I do see a "J36" on both the left and right side of the image you provided. I hope that helps. :) The "J36" is in blue indicating that it is part of the running rigging. But you probably already knew that.

Jeff

Looks like they both run to back deck where the rudder or steering wheel would be located, so the helmsman can make adjustments as needed.

Thanks, Jeff. Yes, I understand that the rope goes on both the starboard and port sides. But I cannot see where to attach them. This is the area that has me confused (circled in green):

J36.png:

Looks like they both run to back deck where the rudder or steering wheel would be located, so the helmsman can make adjustments as needed.

I've got the J36 rope that runs to the back deck figured out but it's the J36 rope that runs in the opposite direction I can't figure out. Pictured above, circled in green. It looks like it's supposed to be attached to the main sail but does that make sense?

This is my first build and only after the fact am I understanding how rigging works.

ahh. I would say there would need to be some sort of block there since the pull on that line while under sail would be great. It looks like the drawing shows the line coming down to the rail and then heading either fore or aft.

I've got the J36 rope that runs to the back deck figured out but it's the J36 rope that runs in the opposite direction I can't figure out. Pictured above, circled in green. It looks like it's supposed to be attached to the main sail but does that make sense?

This is my first build and only after the fact am I understanding how rigging works.
Yes, it makes sense. There has to be lines connected to each corner of a sail to control it. That corner is held down so the sail form a "belly" to catch the wind.

Yes, it makes sense. There has to be lines connected to each corner of a sail to control it. That corner is held down so the sail form a "belly" to catch the wind.

Oh, okay. I didn't know that but, thanks to you, now I do. I'm learning little by little.

I guess I'll add a pulley onto the corner of the sail then and attach the rope from there to the balcony railing. The instructions don't include adding a pulley but it sounds like that's what's needed in this case.

Jeff, thank you so much. You are appreciated.

Oh, okay. I didn't know that but, thanks to you, now I do. I'm learning little by little.

I guess I'll add a pulley onto the corner of the sail then and attach the rope from there to the balcony railing. The instructions don't include adding a pulley but it sounds like that's what's needed in this case.

Jeff, thank you so much. You are appreciated.
I think the pully would be down on the rail at point D. The line would just attach to the corner of the sail.

I think the pully would be down on the rail at point D. The line would just attach to the corner of the sail.

'D' is a pulley. The pulley only has one hole in it. Here is a photo I found of someone's build of this ship. It shows the rope I'm asking about but I cannot see where it attaches on the right. The left side as we're looking at it attaches to the balcony rail. But the right side, I have no idea. To the sail? (see red question mark)

BuccaneerQuestion.jpg

I believe it would attach to the lower corner of the sail. But that's an educated guess on my part, I've not built this kit.
If anyone on here knows better, please speak up. :)

I've added red and green lines:
1714233711360.png
The red lines are the Sheet, which keeps the lower sail in place, attaching to the corner of each sail with a pulley/block. It usually runs from a fixed ring on the side of the quarterdeck, to the block and back to a belaying pin on the quarterdeck. In my experience, usually along the side of the ship, but on the plan view, it shows it on the deck of the ship instead.

The green line is the Tack, going again from the corner of the sail forward to a point on the forecastle. It could be to the rail, or again a cleat or pin on the forecastle. The general location is shown in the plan view. This helps keep the sail in place to be full of wind. No block is used here.

Both of these are duplicated on each side.

Line J34 is the Brace for the mainsail. It attaches on each side to the end of the mainsail spar, using a block, and is rigged similarly to the sheet described above: Usually a ring on the quarterdeck hull to a pin or cleat on the side of the quarterdeck.

J35 is the brace for the topsail, similarly rigged to the spar, but connected to the mizzen mast.

J33 aft of the foresail is the foresail Sheet, and should be rigged similar to the sheet above, but further forward on the ship. It should have a pulley/block on each side with 2 lines, like the mainsail Sheet; this is not shown on the rigging drawing but should be there.

J33 fore of the foresail is the foresail Tack, and should go to a point near the bowsprit, often through the side hull at this point to a cleat. It goes on both sides.

The rigging diagram for this model is actually pretty poor (okay, it downright sucks), so it's no wonder you have questions. I hope this helps a bit.

The sheets run from the clews, outside the hull and back in through a hole. They are shown in the plan as running to possible eye bolts. I would say it's far more likely that when they come inboard they attach to cleaats on the bulwarks.OcCre_Maqueta_Barco_Madera_Buccaneer_lateral.jpg

As signet mentioned, each of the courses has a sheet and a tack. Sheet to aft and tack to forward
The sheet is pulled tight on the lee side, and the tack keeps the shape of the sail on the weather side, hence « on the sb tack » meaning the wind comes from sb.
So if the j36 rope is pulled backwards on one side, the j36 rope on the other side would be tight fwd. it’s kind of awkward as models tend to have sails set for a downwind run, where only sheets would be tensioned, but tacks too as they pull the sail down and give them shape.
The point where the ropes go is depending on the bracing angle. The crew would shift the sheets and tacks for the best shape, so probably any point in the bulwarks would do, and likely on larger ships, fixed pulleys would be fitted in the bulwarks.

As signet mentioned, each of the courses has a sheet and a tack. Sheet to aft and tack to forward
The sheet is pulled tight on the lee side, and the tack keeps the shape of the sail on the weather side, hence « on the sb tack » meaning the wind comes from sb.
So if the j36 rope is pulled backwards on one side, the j36 rope on the other side would be tight fwd. it’s kind of awkward as models tend to have sails set for a downwind run, where only sheets would be tensioned, but tacks too as they pull the sail down and give them shape.
The point where the ropes go is depending on the bracing angle. The crew would shift the sheets and tacks for the best shape, so probably any point in the bulwarks would do, and likely on larger ships, fixed pulleys would be fitted in the bulwarks.
Though considering the age of the galleon I'm not sure there would be a pulley in the bulkhead, just a hole??

Do the plans say what rope J36 is?

No, they don't. Just 'J36'.

The written instructions that come with the kit are very sparse. Diagrams and pictures are what I have to work with. And none of the pics clearly illustrate what to do with this rope.

The green line is the Tack, going again from the corner of the sail forward to a point on the forecastle. It could be to the rail, or again a cleat or pin on the forecastle. The general location is shown in the plan view. This helps keep the sail in place to be full of wind. No block is used here.

Both of these are duplicated on each side.

I printed out your post for reference. I'm so new at this that I'll actually have to study all the info you provided so thank you very much for that.

I did not know that the main sail (any sail for that matter) had to be fastened both front and back. I apologize for my lack of education. I'm starting at square 0 here.

So rope J36 must attach to the bottom corner of the main sail. Without a pulley. If I'm clear on that.

Thank you!!!

The sheets run from the clews, outside the hull and back in through a hole. They are shown in the plan as running to possible eye bolts. I would say it's far more likely that when they come inboard they attach to cleaats on the bulwarks.

I did think it was a bit different that this ship doesn't have any cleats. I just assumed that this ship was historically accurate and maybe didn't use cleats. ??

As I've been working through the rigging and trying to figure out the purpose of each rope, I've found myself saying to myself, "....but if the wind is coming this way, these ropes would be slack and those ropes would be taut...if the wind were coming from another direction then those ropes would be taut and these slack", etc..

Basically, I'm figuring that no matter how I fashion the sails in the end, I'll end up with a lot of slack ropes that should be taut and vice-versa, due to my lack of experience.

Back