1/150, ADLIB-1, SpaceSHIP, scratch build, WIP

Thank you SOS for allowing me to post here a ship of a different sort.

The idea came up when I thought about what sort of model would one do if you completely let go - pure fantasy? Science Fiction build came to mind. A build that uses no plans other than your own. The use of found objects and converted to appear as something else really excited me. At first I came across a mental block, which actually was a blank sheet. The idea that there was no reference through me off guard. So, to start with, I went to my junk pile to see what I could use as a basic shell for a space vessel. A nice large piece of PVC pipe attracted me. So this will be the basis of the vessel.

LIxO1S0.jpg

Have plenty of 1/150 scale figurines to use, so this will set the scale of the ad-lib model.

Influenced by my current XXI submarine model with interior, this too will be an interior view model. Compartments will be sorted in modular form.

Z1fIbts.png

G'day mate
You are acutely going to do it now!
I though that it would commence after your sub build.
Blimmy, your are keen.
Will this ship be an interstellar colony ship with generations living and dyeing, or a faster than light ship?
Happymodeling
Greg

G'day mate. Glad to see you back on board.
...I though that it would commence after your sub build.
Blimmy, your are keen.
This is what happens when you don't watch TV or listen to the radio....there is nothing much else to do but be creative :D.

...Will this ship be an interstellar colony ship with generations living and dyeing, or a faster than light ship?
Neither (I think).
Really enjoyed building that Buoy Tender. A Space Buoy Tender which installs, retrieves, repairs and services markers, satellites, probes, sentry posts, and the like might be the go. So, I imagine it will not be a deep space vessel where they are away for donkey years. Closer to home.

Even within our solar system, it would be an advantage to have Warp Drive. At today's progress it would take years to reach the outer boundaries. Hate to install a probe only to return to it for servicing before I could even get back home ;).

It really is up to each person's imagination. I plan to avoid leaving hints of limitations. But using today's items makes that almost unlikely. For instance, I am planing to use a transformer purely for its symbolic appearance of generating power, yet it may be antiquated equipment, even for today. It may seem like bringing a slingshot to a laser shoot out. However, I will leave that too for the imaginable. That is, it may look like a transformer but it may be something else.

Thank you @Peglegreg and @zoly99sask for your visiting mt build and providing positive feedback.

THE CASE OF SEVEN SEGMENTS

Old digital clocks had seven segment displays. If your'e not sure what they are are about, check the link provided _ very good information provided.

Why I am bringing this up, is because the circuitry can provide great Sci-Fi effects. Below (and in the link) shows how the the seven segments are used between the count of 0 to 9. The circuitry selects which segments to light up to create a designated number. These segments are often LEDs. Ordinary LEDs can be used, and they don't have to be arranged as a seven segment display, but separately to provide a different form of display. I will show three different displays.

Normally these displays can be desoldered, or cut out and then desolder the scrap leads from the circuit board. Solder wires where the display was, and have the other end of the wires connected to your LEDs. Now you have seven LEDs that flash on and off in a seemingly random way.

Below shows how I am going to use these LEDs to light up a docking platform for visiting space vessels to the ADLIB-1.

zblAPtZ.jpg

754SY5m.jpg

This platform is about 110 mm square. At 150/1 comes to 16.5 metres square. Large enough for visiting small space vessels.

The second type of display, is to use the seven segment displays, but wired out of order. This provides a completely different symbology. Perhaps imagined as alien numbering.

cvIJWKO.jpg

However, number 8 will always look like 8, because it uses all seven segments. To get around this is to substitute the decimal point (dp) for a segment. Most individual displays have a dp LED option.

The third type of display uses LEDs grouped closely together. Movie special effects technicians used this to create old style computer screens. The seven segment can create seemingly random looking displays. The one shown here is obviously a set up :D. But the other ones may have used a few circuits to create the random effect.

awrnUTG.gif

After going through some of my junk I discovered some items that would work well for an the Engine Room or Drive Room. Instead of Engine I will call it ...:rolleyes: Particle Beam - Plasma Drive (PB-PD). Anyway, it contains a reflector, PC fan, the said transformer, and a knitting needle.

EwzF5Xf.jpg

Both the reflector and fan fits nicely into a 90 mm PVC drain pipe. This will somehow be attached to the end of the PVC 150 mm pipe.

Ekh25Bu.jpg

Measuring the items in hand, I can estimate how it will be arranged to fit together.

KsEBgZF.jpg

Came up with an idea for getting around on this ship. Since it is so large, it would take a cut lunch to walk from one end to the other. So, the idea is to to use a teleporter device, like a lift. You press on the menu where you want to go and then step through.

There will be a portal at every major compartment. This one (see drawing) will be part of the aft bulkhead for the PB-PD room. This room will have the privilege of showing the cross-section of such a portal (as shown).

gM1vWgB.jpg

giWlEdI.jpg

We can see, that you enjoy this very much and that you have so much fun doing these things -> Great

Like the “Pong” game in post #4. Great way to pass the time while on the “bridge”

I like your reconfiguration of the LED counter. I’ve toyed with LEDs for several years. Have had a lot of fun with them. Grandson and I built this little box from parts in the junk bin. The three knobs control the flash rate of the LED’s. The push switches control the LED matrix display. (Ie, one row, two rows, three rows)

E0501761-2E9E-401F-AFE3-B9361E191553.jpeg

I look forward to following your build.

Last edited:
@Pathfinder65 there is something about flashing lights, especially in a matrix, as if there was some intelligence behind it. My first computer build was the SCAMP, it's only display was LEDs indicating binary code (not easy to decipher).

Thank you @Peglegreg, @Uwek, @Pathfinder65, and @zoly99sask for checking in and providing support.

NY2HZvz.jpg

yY2FYR9.jpg

Made an animated gif to show what it may look like when flashing (arcing style).
It's a bit annoying to look at.
Will have to give the 1/150 scale figurines some welding goggles to wear :D.

qVmPlW5.gif

G'day mate
That looks awesome, the crew will be well taken care of by your transporter. This reminds me of a old song, it's about a melting pot and out comes coffee colour people. Was it by the Seekers? I'm not too sure.
Wonder if this transporter can do it as well?
Happymodeling
Greg

fIcBrm7.jpg

TsQBCY7.jpg

There are four LEDs in either ends of the rod.
The four LEDs in the left end are Red, Green, Blue, and White. Their console rotary switch is labelled as 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100%.
The four LEDs in the right end are two Orange, and two Yellow. Their console toggle switch is labelled as 'Low' and 'High'.
Whatever that means is up to you.

Just cut out and filed the module slots in the main shell.

azZCz5q.jpg

I am happy I got that out of the way. It means that the modules are basically dimensionally set. This makes it easier for me to keep the scale, or proportions, in check. I have a tendency to make things bigger. Now I am confined. If I make the module too big _ it won't fit ;).

This will be interesting Peter, I hope you are going to add a "Marvin, the paranoid android." I can see myself re-reading Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy again, or watching Red Dwarf,
Cheers Andy

This will be interesting Peter, I hope you are going to add a "Marvin, the paranoid android." I can see myself re-reading Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy again, or watching Red Dwarf,
Cheers Andy

Andy read the book Red Dwarf.....it's far better than the British show.
Sorry for high jacking your log Peter.
Havagoodone all
Greg

G'day mate
That looks awesome, the crew will be well taken care of by your transporter. This reminds me of a old song, it's about a melting pot and out comes coffee colour people. Was it by the Seekers? I'm not too sure.
Wonder if this transporter can do it as well?
Happymodeling
Greg
G'day Peter
I found the song that I was thinking about.
Here it is...
Happymodeling
Greg

Back