1:96 Revell USS Constitution

No photos today. Working on the running rigging. It's going really slow. Got to be real careful where your hands are. All this standing rigging is in the way. I'm sure all know that do this, how hard it is.
Will post more pictures in the next day or so.
Model on guys.

As of the 16th of July I am no longer employed so I am putting in about 5 - 6 hours a day.
That is a bummer.
I had a long break due to the virus, and was able to get a few things done, but it is back to the old grind again with work stuff these days.

That is a good looking ship.
I am new to ship models, so perhaps this is a dumb question, but what are the protruding parts at the rear of the ship, either side of the captain's quarters?
I am guessing for observation?

That is a bummer.
I had a long break due to the virus, and was able to get a few things done, but it is back to the old grind again with work stuff these days.

That is a good looking ship.
I am new to ship models, so perhaps this is a dumb question, but what are the protruding parts at the rear of the ship, either side of the captain's quarters?
I am guessing for observation?
They call it the Gallarey.

Update.
The running rigging is done.
Now onto the sales. Anyone have any advise. The instructions are not very clear for this early addition. I did print out a later manual that is better. There are conflicts between them.
20200730_193557.jpg20200730_193519.jpg20200730_193315.jpg20200730_193414.jpg20200730_193245.jpg

Attachments

• 20200730_193315.jpg
    20200730_193315.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 4
I encountered an article in Fine Scale Modeler magazine a while back It was their special issue entitled "Build Better Ship Models" and addressed doing sails. In a nut-shell the author says to laminate the plastic sails with some fine cloth and using some fine florist wire around the edges to help shape the sails as well as to form the cringles at the corners of the sails. You can add the reef points to the cloth as well as simulate the stitching with a fine pencil. I know that this is just a brief explanation of the technique used, but if you look you may be able to find a copy used somewhere. It was published in the summer of 2019. Oh, and the ship he used in the article was the Connie.

I encountered an article in Fine Scale Modeler magazine a while back It was their special issue entitled "Build Better Ship Models" and addressed doing sails. In a nut-shell the author says to laminate the plastic sails with some fine cloth and using some fine florist wire around the edges to help shape the sails as well as to form the cringles at the corners of the sails. You can add the reef points to the cloth as well as simulate the stitching with a fine pencil. I know that this is just a brief explanation of the technique used, but if you look you may be able to find a copy used somewhere. It was published in the summer of 2019. Oh, and the ship he used in the article was the Connie.
Thank you Jim.
I cut out the first sail and mocked it up. Not sure I like them. Look to fake. Maybe try and find the article and see if I can improve the look. Not going to spend the money on a cloth set. If I can't get the look I like, I will finish the rigging without the sails and be done

If I can't get the look I like,
The tough thing with making cloth sails is getting material that is in scale with the model. Look for very fine woven linen, or silkspan. Some modelers have even used paper. They are difficult. This is why you don't see many models with full sails.

Silkspan actually works great. If you wet it a little you can get it to furl very realistically, and actually looks a lot better than the plastic ones. With the addition of fine florist wire you can even make them unfurled and looking like they actually have wind in them. The possibilities are endless - if somewhat time consuming.

In addition to what Jim said, you can also soak the silkspan with some diluted white glue and after it dries it will hold it's shape.... Like he said, time consuming but it can definitely be done!!

@Neil Here is an example from just today of one of our members using Silkspan to create realistic looking sails. Check it out!!

I asked HiS about furled sails for the 1/96 Constitution since he has made furled sails for the Cutty Sark, and he replied that he could do up a set for the Constitution.
I am awaiting a quote on them. The ones on the Cutty Sark look pretty good.
I am rigging my build with furled sails, opened gun ports and guns run out. Right now she is on hold, awaiting the gun carriages for the spar deck from HiS, and 6mm belay pins from Model Expo. Those freaky little nubbins Revell used for belay pins like to snap.
While waiting on the Constitution parts I am working on my Titanic, 11320.

Struggling with the sail look. Maybe done sooner than expected
Hi Neil
Just noticed your post on the Constitution, very well done I must say!
I was attracted to it as I have the USS United states in my stash as I couldn't get a hold of the Constitution at the time.
That said I see you are having problems with the sails.
I made my own for my Revell English Man O'war which is posted on here, I used a cream coloured pillowcase which I opened up, then used the plastic kit sails as templates, cut out accordingly, then hand sewed them all, inserting modelling wire into the sides so as to billow the sails when finished.
Here's a few pics if, but you can see more in my build log.
Hope this helps you?
Cheers
Rob.20200829_110412.jpg

20200519_150859.jpg20200519_151229.jpg20200526_082646.jpg20200602_191508.jpg20200602_191606.jpg

Hi Neil,

I really like your model. Clean and precise work!
I've made this model twice, so if you have questions about the canvases - I can give you advice on how to make them to look good in 1/96 scale.

Back