16th Century Backstays

I am building MarisStella's Ragusian Carrack, and have a question concerning the two main backstays on either side. The plans show them connected to the channels in the same way as the shrouds, using deadeyes:
1698549634881.png
Like Olha, I will be using the older triangular deadeyes:
1698549716086.png
My question is: should backstays in the 16th century even have deadeyes? Zu Mondfeld indicates the following for backstays:
1698549836481.png
which seems to indicate that deadeyes were not used for backstays until much later. Although possibly that was only for the round deadeyes, not the triangular ones. Version 1, stated as used before the 18th century, is extremely simple (and looks like not much force could be applied), but possibly more accurate? I really like the looks of Version 2 (very different yet older and more complex), but that may be too new a version as well.

What do you all think would be most accurate for this model? I'm not slighting Olha's wonderful model in any way, just looking to possibly include something different.

The paintings don't have enough detail to surmise anything about the backstays.

No one else has an opinion here? I like the uniqueness and complexity of #2 shifting backstay above, even though it gives a timeframe of mid 18th century. Mostly because the "normal" backstay used on other models of this area use deadeyes, which are even later (the 19th century), and the #1 is so simplistic, without any mechanical advantage given by pulleys, seems almost not worth having.

Sources would be great, but I value all your opinions too, so help me decide! :)

Be practical. The main mast is all in one piece. These backstays have the same basic function as the shrouds: keeping the mast from bending too much and toppling forward and sideways. They do not interfere in any ways with the handling of the sails (square rig). There is no reason for them to be shifting, running or even especially easy to dismantle. To me, the proposed setup looks OK.

Last edited:
Be practical. The main mast is all in one piece. These backstays have the same basic function as the shrouds: keeping the mast from bending too much and toppling forward and sideways. They do not interfere in any ways with the handling of the sails (square rig). There is no reason for them to be shifting, running or even especially easy to dismantle. To me, the proposed setup looks OK.
That makes sense.

Back