Kolderstok Models 17th Century Dutch Ship Models

A kit review of the Batavia has been posted by our member @Heinrich

Last edited:
There are two scales in which I make the models. The larger ones like the Batavia and Zeven Provinciën are both in 1 to 72. This gives a model with a hull of approx. 75 cm (90 cm - approx. 3 ft with sprit) length and 90 cm height.
The Duyfken, Statenjacht and Willem Barentsz' ship are 1 to 50 and approx. 50 cm length and height.
Kits come in full laser cut frames and decks, with walnut planking for the hull (single plank system), abachi for the decks, beech wood for the masts, full set of wooden blocks - cotton rigging in both light colored and dark colored thread, 3D modelled and hand casted resin ornaments, full photo-based instructions in Dutch, English and German and complete drawings with side view, sections, decks and rigging instructions.
A specialty for the Zeven Provinciën is that this kit can be ordered in walnut planking, and for the real experienced model builders also in an oak planking.
Hello Hans,

I am very interested in the Batavia. Is it possible to order this model in an oak planking?

As you can see in my last post all the ornaments are hand crafted. I learned myself to work with a CAD program to develop the laser cut parts of each ship - but I am not that far that any ornament can be 3D drawn and printed. This is a thing for the near future for me. On the Batavia and Zeven Provinciën most ornaments are 3D printed originals which then are casted in a white resin.
Update on this post. For the Statenjacht the ornaments on the back have got a major overhaul and are now much more detailed.
For the Batavia we are halfway in redesigning all the ornaments - which will be all 3D printed in near future (so not casted anymore).

Best regards,

Hans

Update on this post. For the Statenjacht the ornaments on the back have got a major overhaul and are now much more detailed.
For the Batavia we are halfway in redesigning all the ornaments - which will be all 3D printed in near future (so not casted anymore).

Best regards,

Hans
Hi hans, any pictures?

At this moment I am busy building a Batavia to show the new ornaments. But this takes another 3 or 4 weeks or so.
However - attached a photo of the new lantern for the Batavia. The outer parts are a grey resin, the inner part will be clear resin (it is now also grey).

Lantaarn.jpg

Last edited:
The new paint sets are now available. A range of colors based on 17th century pigments with a very matte finish.

kolderstokalleverven.jpg

At this moment I am busy building a Batavia to show the new ornaments. But this takes another 3 or 4 weeks or so.
However - attached a photo of the new lantern for the Batavia. The outer parts are a grey resin, the inner part will be clear resin (it is now also grey).

Hi Hans,
great looking lantern, big difference to the resin parts.
Will it be possible to purchase the updated 3D parts for the Batavia from your webshop in future ?

Welcome to Kolderstok Models, the website offering model boat kits for 17th century Dutch ships. Kolderstok offers a range of unique model boat kits for famous Dutch ships – famous both for their history as well as the great people who sailed them.

The aim of Kolderstok is to offer a high quality range of wooden model boat kits for ships not available elsewhere. Models of famous ships of the Dutch Golden Age, such as those belonging to the VOC (Dutch East India Company), but also ships famous for the great battles in which they served. Ships under the command of well-known names: Michiel de Ruyter, Marten Harpenszoon Tromp, Jan and Cornelis Evertsen, and Adriaen Banckert.

Besides the currently available models, new models will be released in the future. Think of a ship loaded with gold, shipwrecked near the Dutch coast, her cargo still not fully recovered, or of the yacht that discovered Australia, small though she was. Or maybe a ship like De Zeven Provinciën, the flagship of admiral Michiel de Ruyter.

Kolderstok models are created using old images and existing models as guidelines, thus ensuring the best possible accuracy.

Most kits are for more experienced builders. Levels range from 1 star (beginner) up to 4 stars (very experienced builder). Experienced builders can, of course, refine their model to their own preference.

Kolderstok kits consist of a laser-cut keel, frames and decks, planking for the hull and decks, masts, yards, rigging and a full set of hand-cast resin ornaments. The ornaments will need a finishing touch. Sails are available as a separate kit.

Being model builders ourselves, we prefer a personal approach. Contact us via e-mail and we will get in touch to arrange details, preferences and how to order.

Available Kolderstok kits can be viewed on the model's tab.
©2015, Kolderstok@gmail.com

As far as I got in looking at Kolderstok's site I would like to be able to read Dutch as I can recognize only a few words for a preview review. PT-2

As far as I got in looking at Kolderstok's site I would like to be able to read Dutch as I can recognize only a few words for a preview review. PT-2
All the information about the paints is also in English now. Just click on the English flag left top on the website :)
Only the drop down menu on the paints has one small flaw which I haven't solved yet. The word 'verf - los' is not translated yet. Here you will find the single colors.

All the information about the paints is also in English now. Just click on the English flag left top on the website :)
Only the drop down menu on the paints has one small flaw which I haven't solved yet. The word 'verf - los' is not translated yet. Here you will find the single colors.
Thanks for your help. Svenska "Tack so mycket" but I cannot envoke the Swedish keyboard as it takes over everything and will not release it back to English. "Tack, Tack" PT-2

Back