New design 17th Century Fluytschip - Kolderstok

But - as this can always happen, the plank parts for the back are doubled in the kit, so if you brake one, you'll have a spare one.
Great - you are one of the first manufacturer taking this possibility of non-perfect modeler into account
Usually the kits are like the content of IKEA-furniture - you have 100 screws and metal parts - exactly the 100 which are necessary

Sorry for beeing now shortly off-topic
May I ask, which model is here visible - it is looking very interesting
Is it a kit you have in your program? The sails are extremely realistic

_MG_0200.JPG

Sorry for beeing now shortly off-topic
May I ask, which model is here visible - it is looking very interesting
Is it a kit you have in your program? The sails are extremely realistic

View attachment 295179
Uwe,
This is the Billing Boats Norske Löwe - the 1980-version. I built this model in 1980-1981 and it has been standing in all our homes during the last 40 years. During her life the sails have aged a little, and this is (I think) why they look authentic. :)

Hans

Great - you are one of the first manufacturer taking this possibility of non-perfect modeler into account
Usually the kits are like the content of IKEA-furniture - you have 100 screws and metal parts - exactly the 100 which are necessary
And when you have only 99 screws you can't finish the thing....
Although I am not a double-plank type I am still considering to provide some sort of "repair" set in the near future. This will be the full plank set in veneer (oak, or walnut) so builders can add a second layer of wood if the first one did not go well.

Very impressive engineering. Looking forward to receiving the kit. Do you have any future builds in mind?
Kent
Kent, I expect to ship it beginning of next week. The next one we are starting up is "D'Halve Maen" or Half Moon., the ship of Henry Hudson with which he entered the waters from a large area of land. This waterway is now the Hudson river and the land is nowadays known as America. The Dutch founded a small settlement at the Hudson and called it Nieuw Amsterdam. But after loosing and winning some wars with England they lost this settlement to them - got it back, and lost it again (and got Surinam in return). The English changed the name into New York. This settlement still excists.

I found a nice and short piece of information on the internet and translated this:
Henry Hudson, an explorer commissioned by the Dutch East India Company (VOC), was looking for another route to the east. In 1609 he discovered the east coast of the present-day United States and founded the colony of Nieuw Nederland here. In 1624 the settlement of Nieuw Amsterdam was founded here in present-day Manhattan, New York.

During the Second Anglo-Dutch War (1665-1667) the English conquered the colony and named it New York, but during the Third Anglo-Dutch War (1672-1674) New Amsterdam was recaptured. With the Treaty of Westminster, which ended the Third Anglo-Dutch War, the Netherlands gave up the colony permanently. In exchange, England gave up Surinam, which was conquered by the Dutch in 1666.

In present-day New York, you will come across various references to the former Dutch colony. For example, a secondary school is called 'Stuyvesant High School', named after the last Dutch director general of New Netherland, Peter Stuyvesant. He governed the colony from 1645 to 1664. (end of translation)

A non confirmed story says that one of the earlier settlers had the name of Jan-Kees. Jan and Kees are both Dutch names (Jan = John, and Kees is a bit like Charles). Pronounce Jan-Kees in an English or American way and you get "yankees" :)

Btw - the Half Moon will not be a copy of the replica which lies in Hoorn in the Netherlands.
In 1942 a Mr. F. Baay (head of the nautical department of the Amsterdam Rijksmuseum at that time) built a model of the Half Moon with the knowledge he had from the book of Nicolaes Witsen. He also wrote a small book about the building of this ship. I have the original book and will make the model after his information.

Last edited:
Btw - the Half Moon will not be a copy of the replica which lies in Hoorn in the Netherlands.
In 1942 a Mr. F. Baay (head of the nautical department of the Amsterdam Rijksmuseum at that time) built a model of the Half Moon with the knowledge he had about the book of Nicolaes Witsen. He also wrote a small book about the building of this ship. I have the original book and will make the model after his information.
Good luck with the development Hans.

Another time consuming part is the "hennegat", the helm port. This is made out of three parts laser cut oak in 6 mm thickness, and has to be reshaped into this oval shape. A small but sharp round file is recommended to do this job.

_MG_0276a.jpg

_MG_0309.JPG

Then, finally you should get this. The hull is not sanded yet - this can be done at this stage.
A small deck at the bow is added:
_MG_0313.JPG

It is clearly visible I had to replace some planks which did not survive the bending.

The model can be made as a whaler, and one of the modifications for this is the mounting of fenders on the backside of the hull._MG_0354.JPG
These where to prevent damage to the hull when the boats for whale hunting where hoisted. A whaler often had 6 to 8 small boats on board for whale hunting.
These small boats where different from the normal boats, as they where pointed at both ends, thus making rowing in both directions without turning the whole boat possible.

Then, a few attributes are put on the decks, and the holes for the masts can be drilled. This has to be done carefully, as there is no support under the deck planks, and the abachi deck planks can easily splinter.

_MG_0357.JPG

This is not the best photo I have - even when you put your glasses on the bow will remain unsharp. Channels, catheads and hawse holes are mounted, and she is merely ready for masts and rigging.

Back