1880s Nile Steamboat 1:32 scale

Hi Carl,
It seems that they come in all shapes, in some there is certainly deck space of some sort down there, in others the hole looks like it is low in the bulwarks, perhaps for mooring? I have seen some pics showing portholes over these openings, also have seen them used as a sort of fairlead with a mooring rope running through. Her is a pic of one with sort of both. Hope this is a bit of help. Your doing a great job, looking forward to your continued good work. Jack.

Thanks Jack,
That explanation makes a lot of sense! Thanks again. I appreciate your positive comments on my build. Cheers, Carl

I finished the main deck structures and added a set of steps that will run up to the second deck. I won't trim adjust or install the steps to fit until I finish the deck over the main deck cabin. Despite all my measuring the front cabin sides were not level with each other - one side was 2 mm higher than the other, so I had to add a shim. Not a big deal, since I will be covering the upper part of the walls (where the shim is visible) with some decorative trim. I will now start building the cabin for the 2nd deck and figure how I will make and install the funnel. Many of these Nile steamboats seem to have the funnel coming out of a fatter structure (Is this part of the vertical boiler?) visible above the 2nd deck, so I may also do the same. I'm looking around for a piece of broom handle that I might use for this part.

IMG_7258 copy.jpg

funnel view.jpeg

IMG_7497.jpg

IMG_7499.jpg

IMG_7501.jpg

IMG_7502.jpg

I finished the main deck structures and added a set of steps that will run up to the second deck. I won't trim adjust or install the steps to fit until I finish the deck over the main deck cabin. Despite all my measuring the front cabin sides were not level with each other - one side was 2 mm higher than the other, so I had to add a shim. Not a big deal, since I will be covering the upper part of the walls (where the shim is visible) with some decorative trim. I will now start building the cabin for the 2nd deck and figure how I will make and install the funnel. Many of these Nile steamboats seem to have the funnel coming out of a fatter structure (Is this part of the vertical boiler?) visible above the 2nd deck, so I may also do the same. I'm looking around for a piece of broom handle that I might use for this part.

View attachment 446714

View attachment 446715

View attachment 446716

View attachment 446717

View attachment 446718

View attachment 446719
A nice progress, Carl. I suppose that the ‘fatter structure’ is a heat/burning-prevention cover. They where also on the deck of my Lee where passengers are allowed to walk. On your ship it’s on the deck where I can see relaxing chairs.
Regards, Peter

Looking great Carleroo. It's not easy making stuff up as you go along but you are doing a very good job. There is probably not a lot of headroom down in the hull but there may be enough for the crew to have some space and a bunk. I don't see any other reason to have those portholes installed. If the holes were open there's a good chance water would get in and sink the ship even on a river.

Looking great Carleroo. It's not easy making stuff up as you go along but you are doing a very good job. There is probably not a lot of headroom down in the hull but there may be enough for the crew to have some space and a bunk. I don't see any other reason to have those portholes installed. If the holes were open there's a good chance water would get in and sink the ship even on a river.
Thanks Norgale. I appreciate your feedback. There is some space under the deck and from what I gather from Googling a bit, there is stowage for the anchor chain and possibly other things. I don't think I would want to be crew member spending time down there, especially on those hot Egyptian summer nights!

Pushing ahead with the Nile Steamboat. I am close to finishing the cabins, both the main deck and upper deck. Just some assembly and trim to be added. I also drilled some holes for the portholes. I was lucky to have a 3/8" drill bit which almost matched perfectly the aperture of the metric- sized Billing Boats porthole covers that I found at a local hobby shop.

IMG_7524.jpg

IMG_7525.jpg

IMG_7529.jpg

IMG_7530.jpg

IMG_7531.jpg

J'aime beaucoup ce que vous faites, avec en plus la nostalgie d'un super fil... Khartoum.
J'avais admiré les créations du navire dans le film (en français) la "cannoniere du yang-tsé" autrement "Cailloux de sable" et le "San Pablo".
Votre idée de créer le navire de « Gordon Pacha » est inspirante.

Merçi pour vos commentaires! Moi aussi, j'aime bien les films historiques dans lesquels les navires jouent une role important. A ce qui concerne le Nile, il y a aussi le film "Mort Sur Le Nile" (roman par Agatha Christie). Et les autres aussi - Caillioux de sable, San Pablo, African Queen (peut-etre moins historique, mais un bon histoire quand même.:)

Back