1929 Pond Sailboat refurbish

My grandfather built this pond sailboat around 1928-9. Won a silver loving cup in the Omaha B O (not sure what the B and the O stand for) Yacht Club championship. It is going to take some work. The mast is broken into three pieces. I really think I need to salvage what I can of the mast, I hate the thought of building something new for it. I decided to make it a radio controlled pond boat in 1967 out of my old 50's vintage Citizenship tube powered radio control. Not exactly sure if I should restore that part of it. I still have the radio control, it is so old with it's tube type transmitter and tube reciever it is considered an antique itself now. Any thoughts or ideas welcomed. side shot.jpgthumbnail_20211016_170255.jpgboat and mast.jpgthumbnail_20211016_170127.jpgapache stern.jpg1929 trophy.jpgthumbnail_20211016_170148.jpg

Thx for the kind words
Pond sailboats that were not RC controlled were an interesting challenge to have sails set for the wind and watch them work their way away. . . seldom in a straight course with the variable winds. Collisions were not unknown. You have a real family treasure in this. Best of luck in your restoration . . . are you going to also try a sail??? Rich (PT-2)

Pond sailboats that were not RC controlled were an interesting challenge to have sails set for the wind and watch them work their way away. . . seldom in a straight course with the variable winds. Collisions were not unknown. You have a real family treasure in this. Best of luck in your restoration . . . are you going to also try a sail??? Rich (PT-2)
I thought I'd go ahead and make her sail again if possible. The hull still seems sound I just worry about the mast strength if I rebuild it. Originally it had a self steering setup as you mentioned, it could be redone. I think her straight line ability was her strength. I have a picture of the day as well some where safe (so I can't find it of course) I'll get serious about finding it soon. Thought I'd ultimately build a cabinet for the boat and her accolades to display it.

I thought I'd go ahead and make her sail again if possible. The hull still seems sound I just worry about the mast strength if I rebuild it. Originally it had a self steering setup as you mentioned, it could be redone. I think her straight line ability was her strength. I have a picture of the day as well some where safe (so I can't find it of course) I'll get serious about finding it soon. Thought I'd ultimately build a cabinet for the boat and her accolades to display it.
If you are going to put her in a pond I recommend that you bring along your hip waders as you may need them . . . assuming that you know the depth of the water ;) Rich (PT-2)

If my memory serves, pond yachts used something called "Braine gear" to steer. Do you have that?
No I don't have the gear. I didn't know the name of the gear (thx for filling that in) but it originally had this set up. It was a Y shaped quadrant with a rubber band for self centering as I remember, hand shaped out of scrap aluminum. That is what my brilliant 15yo self decided to take off the boat to "upgrade" it to R/C. "To soon old, to late smart".

If you are going to put her in a pond I recommend that you bring along your hip waders as you may need them . . . assuming that you know the depth of the water ;) Rich (PT-2)
How well I know. A chase boat is best. I built a hydro plane gas powered boat in the 80's. First time out it got out of control and ended up shut down in the middle of the pond. Took over 6 hours to drift in...

No I don't have the gear. I didn't know the name of the gear (thx for filling that in) but it originally had this set up. It was a Y shaped quadrant with a rubber band for self centering as I remember, hand shaped out of scrap aluminum. That is what my brilliant 15yo self decided to take off the boat to "upgrade" it to R/C. "To soon old, to late smart".
There is quite a bit about it on the net.

I see two different restorations - one would be to restore the boat to near original conditions and and have a display with the cup. Second would be to make it sailable, you could have two masts - one restored for display and a new stronger one for sailing. Just a thought.

I see two different restorations - one would be to restore the boat to near original conditions and and have a display with the cup. Second would be to make it sailable, you could have two masts - one restored for display and a new stronger one for sailing. Just a thought.
I am not sure why you would need two and different masts since the existing mast, if not cracked or damaged, served very well to win the championship and winds and pond sailing now should be similar as the boat will heel over in gusts same as before and not snap the mast that served well then. Just a thought. Rich (PT-2)

I am not sure why you would need two and different masts since the existing mast, if not cracked or damaged, served very well to win the championship and winds and pond sailing now should be similar as the boat will heel over in gusts same as before and not snap the mast that served well then. Just a thought. Rich (PT-2)
G'day rich, in his first post he says the mast is broken into three pieces,

best regards john,

As I am responding to these comments I am realizing the only real way to restore her is to strip off the old finish on everything and start from bare bones with the mast repair and hull refinish. I guess I need to pin and glue the broken mast parts with an epoxy and wire? After mast repairs the next challenge is the stern hand lettering the name my grandfather did so skillfully and steadily. I went around the lettering with the black paint last time I refinished her in 69' but age has taken it's toll on the gold paint now. Any suggestions for that?

thumbnail_20211017_163411.jpgbroken mast1.jpgbroken mast2.jpg20211024_161058Mast boom.jpgstern apache.jpgbroken mast end.jpg

As I am responding to these comments I am realizing the only real way to restore her is to strip off the old finish on everything and start from bare bones with the mast repair and hull refinish. I guess I need to pin and glue the broken mast parts with an epoxy and wire? After mast repairs the next challenge is the stern hand lettering the name my grandfather did so skillfully and steadily. I went around the lettering with the black paint last time I refinished her in 69' but age has taken it's toll on the gold paint now. Any suggestions for that?
My own thought about the mast is to carefully remove all of the fittings and make a new one. The break is too abrupt for a sound reattachment in line. Even a drilled in wire in the center of both parts would not likely result in a straight smooth fix. You have all of the parts and with record photos should be able to make a new one and boom if needed. You too can rebend the sail to the mast as your grandfather did. I would't change the paint scheme with any different colors but retain the same ones in new paint. Decision would be acrylic or enamel. . . .
The transom name is a different challenge which could be redone with very fine artists brushes and hand rests to steady the brush. Try to paint by moving your arms or hands as much as possible and not your fingers which would tremble more. Try drawing the brush/pain in long strokes, not short dabs for smooth even paint edge lines. You can touch up any over painting in black in the same manner.

Dean is our SoS resident artist and may have a different and better recommendation. Rich (PT-2)

My own thought about the mast is to carefully remove all of the fittings and make a new one. The break is too abrupt for a sound reattachment in line. Even a drilled in wire in the center of both parts would not likely result in a straight smooth fix.
I respectfully disagree. The mast could be accurately drilled if you approach it as a machinist would using a lathe. Perhaps take it to a machine shop if you don't have the means or experience yourself. A bit of trouble to go through but considering the sentimental and historical value worth it.

I do agree with the two mast suggestion, using the repaired mast for display only.

Just my $.02

Glenn

Two more cents here. I would restore the original very carefully to not destroy the patina. I'm not sure how that could be done having never been lucky enough to have something like that but I would try. Then I would build a copy to play with. The copy could be fiberglass for durability You could (very carefully) use the original as a mold or pull the lines in a safer way. Then you could use modern R/C gear/methods for better sailing.

Two more cents here. I would restore the original very carefully to not destroy the patina. I'm not sure how that could be done having never been lucky enough to have something like that but I would try. Then I would build a copy to play with. The copy could be fiberglass for durability You could (very carefully) use the original as a mold or pull the lines in a safer way. Then you could use modern R/C gear/methods for better sailing.
It was just an idea but I like your decisions on proceeding which you will be happy with. RIch

My grandfather built this pond sailboat around 1928-9. Won a silver loving cup in the Omaha B O (not sure what the B and the O stand for) Yacht Club championship. It is going to take some work. The mast is broken into three pieces. I really think I need to salvage what I can of the mast, I hate the thought of building something new for it. I decided to make it a radio controlled pond boat in 1967 out of my old 50's vintage Citizenship tube powered radio control. Not exactly sure if I should restore that part of it. I still have the radio control, it is so old with it's tube type transmitter and tube reciever it is considered an antique itself now. Any thoughts or ideas welcomed.
Hallo @CaptKC
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back