Unboxing 28-foot Steam Cutter (1876) by Piroscaf & Co Scale Models in scale 1:24

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Sorry for the delay in this topic - also the Detailed Kit review will follow

We here in SOS were already able to follow partly the development of the kit

and had also already the chance to the building log by our member @Koreets

s-l1600.jpg

So now coming to the unboxing....

First of all, the kit is transported in watertight bag
IMG-5039.jpg

Opened it and I was the first time surprised - did I order some plywood? Until I realized, that it is an additional cover and protection for the carton box - clever idea, although it is also some additional weight for postage, but it is completely protecting the box Thumbsup
IMG-5040.jpg

Here you can see, how the box is working - and we modeler always need some plywood in stock
IMG-5041.jpg

The small scratches on the box happened, when my small daughter wanted to have the plywood (also she has a lot of ideas, what to do with plywood sheets ;) )
IMG-5042.jpg

IMG-5043.jpg

Now let us open the box and we can see additional wrapped and secured bag with timber and manual and a smaller box for the fittings (steam engine)
- plenty of room inside the box - here maybe Piroscaf have some room of optimizations in the future to reduce the box size
IMG-5044.jpg

The bag with the wooden parts is wrapped with air-bubble folio and additional tape - safe and secure
IMG-5045.jpg

an additional folio to keep the wood away from any humidity
IMG-5046.jpg

The wooden parts are more or less all laser cut sheets - on the left side the building cradle / jig and temporary parts - on the first view, very good overall quality of the chosen wood
IMG-5047.jpg

included is also an english written manual with sketches and parts list, and also a smaller bag with brass photo etched sheets, flag etc.
IMG-5048.jpg

Here the view inside the box with the steam engine parts and fittings - additional secured against transport damages by some foam blocks
IMG-5049.jpg

IMG-5050.jpg

a fast closer look at one of the bags
IMG-5051.jpg

and also a fast look inside the detailed manual
IMG-5052.jpg

and last photo is showing the bag with the photo etched parts
IMG-5053.jpg

Ohhhh, what a really nice kit of a highly interesting vessel
something completely different to the usual kit models and it is looking like a very good quality model

Well done @Piroscaf !!!

A detailed Kit Review with some macro views will follow asap - stay tuned

Look at this beauty
13.05_02.jpg

13.05_05.jpg

Now for the company to build a kit of the mother ship to go with this lovely boat.
a nice idea, but with 87 m total length of the cruiser Admiral-General it would be a model with appr. 3,6 meter length when we would take the same scale of 1:24

but maybe in scale 1:48....... 1,8m long hull - why not .... great idea :cool:

The ship you showed was the result of a project by A. A. Popov and N. V. Kopytov.
The basis for timbering was taken from the frigate General ADMIRAL built in 1858 in New York on the East River
But the hull was badly damaged and for a very long time they decided to timber the old hull or build a new all-metal corvette.

Attachments

• Скан 29 окт. 2019 г..pdf
    5.8 MB · Views: 14
The article refers to the original plans of William Webb that he published in volume 2 of his book "Plans of Wooden Vessels". Perhaps someone can tell you where you can find these materials. We will be very grateful for your help.

The ship you showed was the result of a project by A. A. Popov and N. V. Kopytov.
The basis for timbering was taken from the frigate General ADMIRAL built in 1858 in New York on the East River
But the hull was badly damaged and for a very long time they decided to timber the old hull or build a new all-metal corvette.
so this was this one?

General-Admiral1857-1870.jpg

I found also a Great model of her Dahlgren gun made by Vladimir Temnikov

The mentioned book
"Plans of Wooden Vessels"

selected as types from one hundred and fifty of various kinds and descriptions, from a fishing smack to the largest clipper ships and vessels of war, both sail and steam, built by Wm. H. Webb, in the city of New York, from the year 1840 to the year 1869

by William Henry Webb
seems to be a great publication, but also very expensive

Maybe this is helping?

Here you have a drawing scanned from the book

Scanned by Craig Crouch from Plans of wooden vessels, selected as types from one hundred and fifty of various kinds and descriptions, from a fishing smack to the largest clipper ships and vessels of war, both sail and steam, built by Wm. H. Webb, in the city of New York, from the year 1840 to 1869. by William H. Webb. (Generally known as: "The Book of Plates", and printed about 1895.) Full resolution scan available on DVD from: http://www.sharinghistory.com/RUS.htm

and written by the publisher Greg Slade:
If you want to contact me or ask me a question, please use the "send private message" link (https://www.wikitree.com/index.php?title=Special:PrivateMessage&who=10209961&ref=10788622), rather than posting your message here. Also, of you send me a message, please check your spam folder. I have noticed that, because I'm not using one of the "big boys" for my email, many ISPs classify the email that I send as spam, so the person I'm replying to doesn't see it, but I don't get a bounce message, either. (And if you have written to me before, didn't get a reply, and don't see it in your spam folder, try again, and check your spam folder for my response.) Thank you.

Or take a look at the list of libraries in the USA, which have a copy of this book

Maybe somebody in the US have the possibility to search for the General-Admiral in a library copy

Back