32 Lb Carronade Station Kit Marine Models Co

Kurt Konrath

Kurt Konrath

OK, I like battle station kits, and I found a nice OLD one on eBay a while back.

This will be a short kit review until I get started on build down the road a bit.

The box says this is "Authentically detailed metal cannon model of the Frigate Philadelphia"

1105.jpg

Scale 1/2" = 1'0" Finished model display is 81/4" by 31/4"

Simple two sided instruction page for assembly comes inside the box, some tiny print to read on drawing side, for those with old eyes.

Back side has larger text instructions on steps.

But the data box was the biggest surprise for me, as this kit is a decade older than I am, and I ain't no spring chicken or fall turkey for this time of year.

List date of Oct 1947!

1105-1.jpg

1105-2.jpg

1105-3.jpg

And finally a peak of whats inside the box, which has good castings for a 60+ year old kit, a bit rough by today's standards, bag of small castings and thread and other fine detail items pre-cut wood pieces for the bulkhead and deck structure. Even the ribs for bulkhead have angles cut in top and bottom to get slant correct.

1105-4.jpg

Casting will require clean up and painting and deck is single piece of ply, which need lines drawn on them for deck planking per instructions, but I will apply thin deck laminate to get better look.

This should be another interesting item on the shelf, small space with large details.

Kurt

Dear Kurt
This looks like an excellent purchase, I will follow the construction process with great interest

OK, I like battle station kits, and I found a nice OLD one on eBay a while back.

This will be a short kit review until I get started on build down the road a bit.

The box says this is "Authentically detailed metal cannon model of the Frigate Philadelphia"

View attachment 271287

Puts me in mind of some of the Model Expo kits available.

View attachment 271287

I like big guns. In my artillery unit we had 8 inch(206mm) tubes called short and stubby. I have the Model Expo version of this gun in my stash.

I like big guns. In my artillery unit we had 8 inch(206mm) tubes called short and stubby. I have the Model Expo version of this gun in my stash.
Most of the time I hear of a GI using the term Tube, it was Mortar Support guys. I know enough about them to say I know nothing about field weapons.

Aircraft armament I know some about, and love the 7 barrel 30mm unit "Front and Center" GAU-8 on the A-10 Warthog.

You scored with that one, Kurt! I love finding those old kits. Going to be fun watching this one come together as I have had it in my mind to do a battlestation kit in the near future. I want to get a better feel for how it should look when I tackle it in smaller scale on an a full vessel.

You scored with that one, Kurt! I love finding those old kits. Going to be fun watching this one come together as I have had it in my mind to do a battlestation kit in the near future. I want to get a better feel for how it should look when I tackle it in smaller scale on an a full vessel.
There are lots to look at, from basic to full ship structure of multi-deck with all the bells and whistles.

Panart is one of the most detailed larger scale.

You get what you pay for, some of these I have beg for upgrades to make more realistic.

Back