4'' Table Saw - Byrnes Model Machines - my version of the configuration

Dream on!!! That is what I will probably be doing every night until I get it figured out and can remember what I did. :) PT-2
Try doing a search or checking the other help topics, I have seen several previous postings on working with the unit and how to get it aligned better.

BEEN THERE DONE THAT STILL DOING IT, GET A BAND SAW PERFORMAX 9 INCH BENCH TOP $129.00 SAVE FOR GREAT KITS OTHER MAN TOYS DOES EVERY THING THAT THE TABLE SAWS DO AND MORE HAVE SAID THAT AND DONE THAT BEFORE, NOT KNOCKING BYRNEYS OR ANY OF THE OTHERS JUST MY OPION. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DON

Hello,
That was a nice video on the table saw. But please do not take this rudely. Because I am not trying to be rude to you at all. At 4 minutes into the video you starting ripping small width pieces with the larger part of the material away from the table saw fence. You should make yourself a sacrificial push stick to do this type of cutting. By using your to push the material thru it will bind which will cause the smaller piece fly right back at you. Not a good thing.
At the 8:40 mark on your video I see you using the miter and table saw fence together. In that situation it is advisable to use a stop block so again the material will not bind and cause kickback.
You can google TABLE SAFETY PRACTICES or HOW TO USE A TABLE SAW SAFELY which will walk you thru all type of safer ways to cut wood on a table saw. I thought to mention this because you are a very talented builder and wouldn't like to see you get hurt. I have been a woodworker since I was a kid. I still have all my fingers n toes and no lumps on my head. Again I am not trying to criticize or trying being rude to you. Please be safe and take care.

I have a Byrnes saw with ALL of the accessories. It is the best tool in my shop. I bought the sliding table two years ago and that is a great piece of equipment for cutting multiple pieces the same length and miter. I use to go for the less expensive stuff and I must say you get what you pay for. If you want quality you have to pay for it.

So with the Byrnes saw if you have a piece of wood that is 2 inches wide and 12 inches long and 1/2 inch thick and you want to cut it through the middle at a 45 degree angle how do you do it, just wondering,
Best regards John,

So with the Byrnes saw if you have a piece of wood that is 2 inches wide and 12 inches long and 1/2 inch thick and you want to cut it through the middle at a 45 degree angle how do you do it, just wondering,
Best regards John,
You can set the mitre gauge to 45 degrees and run a mitre cut.

But if the byrnes mitre table sits on the saw table at 45 o, how do you manage to cut through the middle of a piece of wood 24 inches long, surely you would not be able to lay the wood flat on the saw table,

Best regards John,

Last edited:
But if the byrnes mitre table sits on the saw table at 45 o, how do you manage to cut through the middle of a piece of wood 24 inches long, surely you would not be able to lay the wood flat on the saw table,

Best regards John,

The Byrnes comes with a Mitre gauge as standard, you don't need the cross cut sled for the longer cuts.
You have six inches of board to hold against the Mitre fence that is more than enough to make the cut.
I hope we're talking about the same thing?
This is what I mean (In a full size table saw):

This is the mitre gauge on the Byrnes (photo with the extension):

G'day Brian,
Thats why you need two table saws. Big cuts use your cheap Chinese table saw, and fine cutting of planks are best suited to the Byrnes.

G'day Brian, thats not what I am saying, I will take a pic with both my Proxxon and the Chinese one to show what I mean,

best regards john,

The Byrnes comes with a Mitre gauge as standard, you don't need the cross cut sled for the longer cuts.
You have six inches of board to hold against the Mitre fence that is more than enough to make the cut.
I hope we're talking about the same thing?
This is what I mean (In a full size table saw):

This is the mitre gauge on the Byrnes (photo with the extension):

Thanks for that John, I know what a mitre gauge is, I will post a pic of what I mean in the next 10 mins,

best regards John,

You can cut the board in half and then use the tilting table, assuming you have one, or the mitre gauge to cut the 45 degrees. Your point that you can't make the cut efficiently is valid, you would have to make 2 cuts. Everything is a tradeoff, it comes down to if you want the versatility of a tilting arbor, or the rock solid accuracy of a solid arbor.

Like others that have mentioned that own the tilting table I've only used it once so for me it's rare to need to cut an angle like that.

Last edited:
First of all, I'm not knocking the Byrnes saw, my mate has two and I have seen how they are built, I just couldn't help but wonder how you would cut through a piece of wood 12 inches long, I can see that mystracing understands what I am asking,
IMG20200907115130.jpg
On my Proxxon I can cut this cut,

IMG20200907115139.jpg
and also this cut,

IMG20200907115152.jpg
I can also cut through a piece of wood like this, this is what i was asking how do you cut this on a Byrnes,

best regards john.

OK, Gotcha!
MystRacing's suggestion is really the only solution- just leave a little extra length to the board for the blade's kerf and cut to final length after you are happy with the angle.

Thats why you need two table saws. Big cuts use your cheap Chinese table saw, and fine cutting of planks are best suited to the Byrnes.

G'day again Brian, I usually buy wood in sizes that I can cut on both my Proxxon and the other saw, Iv'e had the Proxxon for approx 12 years and the Chinese one for approx 4 years, and i am really pleased with how they both cut, I have cut all the wood for the window frames on the Royal william with both of them and have had no problem, also with the speed control you can cut plastic etc, I had a friend, now passed that built a fabulous model of the Redoubtable in 1/48 scale and he had made a home made saw and for blades he used to cut a piece of galvanised metal to a circular shape and then cut the teeth into it and then set them, you should ofg seen the planks that he cut with that blade,

best regards john,

Back