41st annual Northeast Ship Model Conference 2024 (USA) by Olya Batchvarov

Good morning all from Houston, TX.

Like Coppens above I wish we had a similar event here. Perhaps we do and I'm just not aware. I find Olya's videos fascinating. Truly there are some museum quality models in this video. And there are some whimsical models too. And some that are not so great.

Several observations. First the people attending the conference are mostly male and older. I started my first model when I was 23. But life and work got in the way and I did't have (or take) the time to carry on. But now I've got the time and will make the most of it.

Second I have been overly concerned about the quality of my work which I don't consider particularly good. But I'm coming to accept the fact that I will most likely never built a museum quality ship and I'm okay with that. I'm just going to dance like no one is watching and instead just enjoy the journey. I like the challenge and hope I can learn as I go. I've got several models in progress and more waiting to be unboxed in due time.

My last thought is that the building process for me is therapeutic. My wife bemoans the fact that I have more patience with my builds than with her. (definitely not true!). And she cannot understand the whole notion of modeling. Seems too tedious.

With all that said I will keep building until it's time to move on to the next life.

Back