80’s Scientific USS Constitution build

Hello. I originally had this kit back then but it was gotten rid of and lost. We found this one online and well, here we go.
The rudder and rudder post won’t be as they should but most of my people won’t notice also I the deck is not stained only polyed. Trying to make use of putty to smooth the transition of the bulwarks to the hull. I’ll post more as I go along. Try not to be too harsh on me. It’s my first build. Lol

IMG_0685.jpeg

IMG_0687.jpeg

IMG_0686.jpeg

IMG_0688.jpeg

I will sand more. Lol but the transition from hull to bulwark is done. Learning all sorts of new names haha. But the best yet is….jibboom Got the transom on. Assembled and attached bowsprit housing and head floor and deck beams. Not sure why as it looks like they won’t be seen. ‍♂️ Added some screen (prolly not to scale) to resemble a net. Tomorrow I’ll mount it in the temp base as later I have some walnut from and old family home from 4 generations ago. I’ll use that for the final. At some point maybe I’ll try and spruce up the gudgeons and rudder. I saw what Marc did and like the looks of that.

Thank you for this forum. This is my first build and I have learned a lot of info in a very short amount of time that it took some of you years to accumulate. I’m looking forward to making my own sails for this model.

Also thanks for looking and any and all info is welcomed. Including criticism.

I hope this thread is in the right spot. MOD’s?

IMG_0700.jpeg

IMG_0701.jpeg

IMG_0702.jpeg

IMG_0703.jpeg

IMG_0704.jpeg

Man, does this bring some great childhood memories. This was the first "serious" wooden ship kit I built as a little boy back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. This kit was later, as a teen, also the first model ship I built on commission using a customer-supplied kit, although by then I was already lavishing a great many improvements and new parts on the factory offering.
The finished result of a workmanlike OOB build of this kit may not meet the standards of some for "museum quality" but it will yield a nice static display and provides a break from the perfection-obsessed construction most of us have grown used to. I kinda envy you this chance to go back in time, so to speak, and build a basic ship model for the sheer enjoyment of it. I'll definitely be watching this thread with great interest.

Man, does this bring some great childhood memories. This was the first "serious" wooden ship kit I built as a little boy back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. This kit was later, as a teen, also the first model ship I built on commission using a customer-supplied kit, although by then I was already lavishing a great many improvements and new parts on the factory offering.
The finished result of a workmanlike OOB build of this kit may not meet the standards of some for "museum quality" but it will yield a nice static display and provides a break from the perfection-obsessed construction most of us have grown used to. I kinda envy you this chance to go back in time, so to speak, and build a basic ship model for the sheer enjoyment of it. I'll definitely be watching this thread with great interest.
My first wooden ship model was the Scientific Sovereign of the Seas which I received as a birthday gift while I was still in High School. It wasn't the first sailing ship; I built the old Pyro series before then. I remember your statement; "Man, does this bring home some great childhood memories."

I joined the Navy after graduation. eventually transferring to Newport, RI. There was a hobby shop there that had many of the Scientific ship models built and on display in the window. It inspired me to build others.

I broke my hip earlier this year and had to undergo a hip replacement. There was a built model of the Scientific Thermopylae on display in the lounge. It was beautiful! I have two of them now in my stash.

Bill

Wow, this just jogged a memory, I built this around 42 years ago, and now remember I have another partly built one put away in my basement and forgotten for some reason. That was for my 5 year old grandson who was fascinated when I was building my Mamoli Constitution. He's now 20 (a combat medic in the NJNG), but thinking I should take time away from my Victory and surprise him with it. Thanks for the reminder, and yours is coming along nicely.

Sorry folks. Been out of commission for awhile. I'm looking for a re-purpose or upgrade of the top railings. Are there any suggestions for this? Thanks.

Sorry folks. Been out of commission for awhile. I'm looking for a re-purpose or upgrade of the top railings. Are there any suggestions for this? Thanks.
The bow top railings were too easy to break. I wound up with multiple pieces to glue back together. The turn was too great and the grain went perpendicular to the turn. It had to break. The only other options I can think of are to trace the railing on plastic or thin hardboard and cut it with a scroll saw.

Back