A big update of Witsens digital shipbuilding program

A new, much improved version of the 17th century online pinas program has been released. The program makes it possible to walk through the ship and absorb all the information that Nicolaes Witsen has left us through his famous book. The first version was released in the spring of 2021, since then hard work has been done on a completely renewed and greatly improved episode.
Anyone who enters the address -https://witsenscheepsbouw.nl- in the address bar of his browser (preferably Chrome, but others usually work too) will immediately be given the option on the start page to download the entire program and place it on your own hard drive.

This is highly recommended as it avoids waiting when one wants to move from one part of the program to another and in the downloaded version the quality of what is offered is even better. The program is 2Gb in size. Unfortunately, this operation is only possible on Windows PCs. Owners of Apple computers will (for now) have to make do with the online version.
afb 1.PNG
If you opt for the online version, you will be given a choice of five buttons:
afb 2.PNG
1. Explore the pinas. Here you can virtually walk through the ship.
2. Cross section of the pinas. This covers the fasteners such as nails, dowels and bolts, shown to a segment of the hull amidships.
3. Construction phases of the pinas. Here you can interactively witness the construction of a 17th-century ship. All phases are explained on the basis of the original texts from Witsen's book and provided with explanations where necessary.
4. Encyclopedia of the Pinas. Each part of the ship is treated here on the basis of a partly open version of the ship, in which the user can choose any part with his mouse. Then the name appears and the corresponding information can be found in the dictionary list to the right.
5. Explore the fluit. This hypothetical reconstruction of a fluit can be viewed as a virtual model, just like the pinas.

The same components can be found in the downloaded version, only they are faster to open and use. If you find and open one of the two download versions (the Dutch or the English one) in your download folder, you will find four files, of which he must click the icon -Witsenshipbuilding-.
afb 3.PNG
The program then opens in a slightly different design, but the content is of course the same as the online version.
afb 4.PNG
Here you can choose from the Pinas, the Fluit, the Encyclopedia and a button that closes the program. If you click on the pinas, you can choose from three options:

afb 5.PNG
1. Exploration, equivalent to #1 of the online version.
2. Construction phases, equivalent to #3 of the online version.
3. Cross section, equivalent to #2 of the online version.

The part about the construction phases has been supplied with all the written documentation and illustrations Witsen left us. Many of the nautical terms used in the program find their explanation here.

The fluit can only be explored in a game setting' and, because of its hypothetical content, has no further digressions.

In particular, I would like to draw attention to the much improved Encyclopedia, in which the colored and cut-away model of the pinas invites you to discover and explore parts. In addition, an exploded view option has been added for composite parts such as the galleon, capstan, pump and decorated stern.
afb 6.PNG
It contains the names of all parts and the data Witsen left us.
afb 7.PNG afb 8.PNG
We from the Witsenshipbuilding team are proud to present this version and invite you to think along with us about how we can make the work even more useful and attractive.

Ab Hoving
Johan Opdebeeck of the Cultural Heritage Agency (RCE)
The team of Tijdlab: Rob van Haarlem, Tomas Schuurbiers and Thomas Verhoeven

A new, much improved version of the 17th century online pinas program has been released. The program makes it possible to walk through the ship and absorb all the information that Nicolaes Witsen has left us through his famous book. The first version was released in the spring of 2021, since then hard work has been done on a completely renewed and greatly improved episode.
Anyone who enters the address -https://witsenscheepsbouw.nl- in the address bar of his browser (preferably Chrome, but others usually work too) will immediately be given the option on the start page to download the entire program and place it on your own hard drive.

This is highly recommended as it avoids waiting when one wants to move from one part of the program to another and in the downloaded version the quality of what is offered is even better. The program is 2Gb in size. Unfortunately, this operation is only possible on Windows PCs. Owners of Apple computers will (for now) have to make do with the online version.
View attachment 299075
If you opt for the online version, you will be given a choice of five buttons:
View attachment 299076
1. Explore the pinas. Here you can virtually walk through the ship.
2. Cross section of the pinas. This covers the fasteners such as nails, dowels and bolts, shown to a segment of the hull amidships.
3. Construction phases of the pinas. Here you can interactively witness the construction of a 17th-century ship. All phases are explained on the basis of the original texts from Witsen's book and provided with explanations where necessary.
4. Encyclopedia of the Pinas. Each part of the ship is treated here on the basis of a partly open version of the ship, in which the user can choose any part with his mouse. Then the name appears and the corresponding information can be found in the dictionary list to the right.
5. Explore the fluit. This hypothetical reconstruction of a fluit can be viewed as a virtual model, just like the pinas.

The same components can be found in the downloaded version, only they are faster to open and use. If you find and open one of the two download versions (the Dutch or the English one) in your download folder, you will find four files, of which he must click the icon -Witsenshipbuilding-.
View attachment 299077
The program then opens in a slightly different design, but the content is of course the same as the online version.
View attachment 299078
Here you can choose from the Pinas, the Fluit, the Encyclopedia and a button that closes the program. If you click on the pinas, you can choose from three options:

View attachment 299079
1. Exploration, equivalent to #1 of the online version.
2. Construction phases, equivalent to #3 of the online version.
3. Cross section, equivalent to #2 of the online version.

The part about the construction phases has been supplied with all the written documentation and illustrations Witsen left us. Many of the nautical terms used in the program find their explanation here.

The fluit can only be explored in a game setting' and, because of its hypothetical content, has no further digressions.

In particular, I would like to draw attention to the much improved Encyclopedia, in which the colored and cut-away model of the pinas invites you to discover and explore parts. In addition, an exploded view option has been added for composite parts such as the galleon, capstan, pump and decorated stern.
View attachment 299080
It contains the names of all parts and the data Witsen left us.
View attachment 299081 View attachment 299082
We from the Witsenshipbuilding team are proud to present this version and invite you to think along with us about how we can make the work even more useful and attractive.

Ab Hoving
Johan Opdebeeck of the Cultural Heritage Agency (RCE)
The team of Tijdlab: Rob van Haarlem, Tomas Schuurbiers and Thomas Verhoeven
Hoving, sorry, downloaded well but it does not install, there are some specific steps to be taken, keep in mind that I have downloaded both zip files "WitsenShipbuilding " "WitsenScheepsbouw "

Thanks Herman and Steef66. @Steef: your comment is exactly the same as what my boss at the museum replied when I suggested to create this program in 2006: 'That is a lot of work!' I had to tell him that 'work' was the nasty thing we were paid for...
@Frank48: Probably your virusscanner is in the way. Mine did too. Just convince him that this program is no thread to your system.

THANK AB HOVING WORK HAS ITS REWARDS THIS ONE WELL EARNED SIMPLY MAGNIFICENT WORK YOU SHOULD BE PROUD. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS STAY SAFE CHRISTS PEACE DON

HI ALL AS MOST KNOW I AM A COMPUTER ILLETERATE THERE IS A MESSAGE WHEN I OPEN THE SITE IT SAYS MY COMPUTER IS 32BIT BUT THE PROGRAM IS 64BIT CAN I STILL RUN THE PROGRAM OR WHAT CAN I DO SHORT OF GETTING A NEW COMPUTER. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

I asked the makers of the program, Don. If you have a 32 bits computer you can only use the online version. That is by clicking the five knobs you see when you open the site. You can download the program, but your computer cannot play it. So use the online version (And update your computer :) ).

Donfar, Uwe, Maarten Ilanortho, Fred Hocker and Pathfinder 65, thank you for your kind words. Enjoy the program.

I went to the website and studied it a bit. I can honestly say that this is a special project that deserves attention. Although 3D modeling is rapidly spreading and becoming a profitable field, few people spend time implementing it in their projects. The main thing is that the server does not fly; otherwise, you will have to deal with data recovery. Unfortunately, some of the files may be lost during the recovery process, so you should be careful and install good protection. By the way, Don, I advise you to reinstall Windows on the 64-bit version since programs have been written specifically for it in recent years.

Last edited:
Originally the program was meant to be a tool for archaeologists and model builders. I am sure there are more groups interested in the content. It is very generous of the Cultural Heritage Agency of the Dutch government to make it available for anyone who is interested. I owe them (and My companion Rene Hendrickx) a lot.
Enjoy!

I went to the website and studied it a bit. I can honestly say that this is a special project that deserves attention. Although 3D modeling is rapidly spreading and becoming a profitable field, few people spend time implementing it in their projects. The main thing is that the server does not fly; otherwise, you will have to deal with data recovery. Unfortunately, some of the files may be lost during the recovery process, so you should be careful and install good protection. By the way, Don, I advise you to reinstall Windows on the 64-bit version since programs have been written specifically for it in recent years.
Hallo @jeraman
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back