A block stropped to a deadeye

I'm installing the jibstay on The Discovery1789. Lees, on page 125, says, "The falls consisted of two single blocks, the lower one stropped to a deadeye on the stool; the deadeyes mentioned are those holding the backstay down."
He doesn't mention whether it was the upper or lower deadeye or how the block was stropped to it and I'm having trouble figuring out how to strop a block to a deadeye. Can anyone help me out? Maybe a picture or a link.
Thanks

I'm installing the jibstay on The Discovery1789. Lees, on page 125, says, "The falls consisted of two single blocks, the lower one stropped to a deadeye on the stool; the deadeyes mentioned are those holding the backstay down."
He doesn't mention whether it was the upper or lower deadeye or how the block was stropped to it and I'm having trouble figuring out how to strop a block to a deadeye. Can anyone help me out? Maybe a picture or a link.
Thanks
Is it possible for you to post some pictures?

Frank, I can't post a picture of something I can't visualize :)
YT, that's what I thought you meant and I did see that done somewhere. It just seems rather, Mickey Mouse.:) This is the Royal Navy, you know, a place for everything and everything in it's place. Not, "Where do I tie this?" "Well tie it to the cooks peg leg, he doesn't move much".
It just seems like such a random spot.
But your idea does fit Lees' description so I guess that's where it goes. You'd just think that they would have put an eyebolt into the channel or something. This just seems so sloppy and temporary. My opinion of the Navy just went down a cog.
Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
That pattern looks quite unlikely. Stays and the other standing rigging got indipendent tacks.

Frank, non posso pubblicare una foto di qualcosa che non riesco a visualizzare:)
YT, pensavo che intendessi questo e l'ho visto fare da qualche parte. Sembra piuttosto, Topolino. :) Questa è la Royal Navy, sai, un posto per ogni cosa e ogni cosa al suo posto. Non "Dove lo lego?" "Beh, legalo alla gamba di legno del cuoco, non si muove molto".
Sembra proprio un posto così casuale.
Ma la tua idea corrisponde alla descrizione di Lees, quindi immagino che sia lì che va. Penseresti semplicemente che avrebbero messo un golfare nel canale o qualcosa del genere. Sembra così sciatto e temporaneo. La mia opinione sulla Marina è semplicemente crollata.
Grazie per l'input.
possiedi quel libro dei nodi?1706302319885.jpeg

He doesn't mention whether it was the upper or lower deadeye or how the block was stropped to it and I'm having trouble figuring out how to strop a block to a deadeye.
The lower.

And Y.T. showed a possible way to do it.
This is what I was thinking about. Just a guess.

View attachment 423847
Hope this will help you.
The book of knots is from Ashley, I posted in this thread a download link. https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...o-scale-1-48-french-corvette.7643/post-354590

Thank you for the drawing and link but this question wasn't about knots. It was more about the where. Lees says that the block was stropped to a deadeye. I couldn't figure out how. There's a half dozen places on the end of a shroud that could be considered "the deadeye". You could stick the end of a rope through any of them. It could have been wrapped around the lanyard, it could have been stuck through one of the six holes in the deadeyes. Nothing I could think of would be as neat and tidy as I expected a Navy method would be. As it turns out Y.T.'s method seems to be OK but still not what I expected.

DSC04812.JPG

I went back and reread my first post and it does kinda sound like I was asking about what knot to use. Sorry, that wasn't what I intended. I seem to have trouble with the English language even though it's the only one I speak. Maybe that accounts for my lack of success in getting questions answered. I'll have to reread all my future questions with that in mind. :)
Thanks

According to Longridge:
The Jib stay is made fast to a thimble on the jib traveler on the jibboom. It then runs up and reeves through the upper sheave of the starboard cheeck block on the foremast head. The lower end of the jib stay is made fast to a 9-inc.double block connected by its fall to a 9-in.single block strapped round the after end of the starboard trestle tree.

Yes I saw that in Longridge. Lees also mentions that but I think it was a different period. Or possibly larger ships. As near as I can figure for the period of the Discovery1789 it was terminated on a deadeye.

PS I checked Lees and your method was used after 1850. I'm not sure what period Longridge's Victory is.

That's a breast backstay, I think they're different. I could be wrong though.
At any given time I have 3 or 4 rigging write-ups open on my decktop and I'm still confused. Rigging is hard.

Back