• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

A new guys observations of the hobby

  • Thread starter Thread starter Epp
  • Start date Start date
  • Watchers Watchers 20
Hi. I totally get your car experience. I did a "Resto Mod" on a rare 1968 Triumph 250 that I owned since I was twenty five years old. Some folks thought it was awesome and the purists were ready to lynch me. ROTF
 
i do not think you can define "model ship building" because of its complexity from fine art to simple hobby kits. No matter who you ask you will get different answers because this is more about self-expression so it means something different to everyone. Being critical of others is in every hobby, sport or every group, so what nature of the beast. Critical of others no i am more critical of myself that is the only place it really counts. That critical element in any group defines and refines. Ghost painting i saw it, i know it is possible and i tried and tried and never got it just right. My brother did the classic cars and i did the shows for the paint but i know those cars are looked at right down to the nuts and bolts and the thread count on a bolt. That is in the pursuit of perfection which it pretty hard to do but i will say it sure is fun trying. Would i go out and buy a model ship kit? no i would not, well why not? because it is not my work i am only assembling what someone else designed, just saying that's me not you.
As far as master shipwrights here on the forum sure they are here. The ones which just show off look what i can do are the snobs and i am glad to say we do not have any here. The masters who are willing to share are not the snob they become the teachers.
 
Many years ago I had a friend who restored an E-Jaguar (the banana shaped one?). He was born without a right arm, but restored the car found in a junk yard doing much work by himself. There was some issue about the color of the brake lines, but it looked like a top notch job to me.

When he finished restoring it the West Virginia DMV would not let him drive it because of the concern about shifting without a right arm. When the company transferred him to Ohio the, DMV there overlooked his handicap and he could drive it. He took me for a ride. It was actually two rides; my first and my last!

Roger
 
Many years ago I had a friend who restored an E-Jaguar (the banana shaped one?). He was born without a right arm, but restored the car found in a junk yard doing much work by himself. There was some issue about the color of the brake lines, but it looked like a top notch job to me.

When he finished restoring it the West Virginia DMV would not let him drive it because of the concern about shifting without a right arm. When the company transferred him to Ohio the, DMV there overlooked his handicap and he could drive it. He took me for a ride. It was actually two rides; my first and my last!

Roger
Good for him! The brake lines in that car were originally copper or copper nickel - he likely replaced them with steel - Thats a good example of what I was talking about, if its an issue for the next guy let him change them. And a guy driving a stick with one arm would be an interesting ride and a one time experience for me as well!
epp
 
Hi Paul--

Very valid points and thanks for posting. Unfortunately the issue you raise is the reality of every digital platform. Rather than a space for mutual assistance and support it becomes what we call down here a dick measuring contest.

The rule of all forums should follow the Buddhist aphorism--"do not speak unless it will improve on silence."
 
Hi Paul--

Very valid points and thanks for posting. Unfortunately the issue you raise is the reality of every digital platform. Rather than a space for mutual assistance and support it becomes what we call down here a dick measuring contest.

The rule of all forums should follow the Buddhist aphorism--"do not speak unless it will improve on silence."
Very well said sir! Yes it is a reality and that contest goes on everywhere- I can say that this is the first forum I have participated in and I know nothing, the guys seem great. Because I didn't have enough sense to limit my interest in cars to one continent I needed help with information from various forums. It doesn't take to long to figure out who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't, then there are the guys that just like to see if they can win the post contest never bringing anything to the table. The purest tend to be the most critical, on the Jag its likely that at the time he did that restoration that the nickel copper line was only available over seas and at great cost - they guy criticizing him would likely rather he not street the car than put on the "wrong" lines. Thank you for the welcome.
 
No blasting from me. There are jackasses in every hobby but I honestly haven’t seen a trace of that garbage here. Just nice, helpful people. I built cars so I know some of those guys are the worst. I own a Porsche. Talk about being categorized. I built plastic models as a kid and got back into it several years ago in my 60s and won 2nd place with my first build at a show and sure, that made my day but I haven’t been to another model show since. It’s just not what it’s about to me. For me, everything I build and fabricate is about the build, the enjoyment I get from building stuff. I’ve done two wooden ships now and holy moly, you talk about a lot of work and a challenge! Wow! 100% accuracy is just not necessary and actually tough to achieve, especially in the smaller scales. Nobody that will ever see my builds would know the difference anyway. Bottom line is we just do what makes US happy. Hope you have fun with it.
Mike,

We sound very much alike except I have an old 350Z ;).

What I do is all about the build. After it is done it is all about the next build.

That's where to fun is!

Rob
 
then the odd man out i like the competition i like pushing myself and seeing what others can do. my brother restored classic cars i was not into the builds i like painting. I once saw at a car show what was called ghost painting where you saw an image appear in a paint job only when the light hit it just right as you walked around the car the image would appear and disappear. i asked how it was done and got a "i will never tell" i painted the same car over and over just for the fun of it. In every hobby or art there is the master class and they inspire what can be done. most of the time they will not take on an apprentice unless you have a natural talent to refine, and sometimes they will teach others just because or to pay forward.

for me model ship building is about original design one of a kind starting with just an idea then the process of making what i imagined in my head materialize on the worktable. i still do air brush painting but also sculpture, model building. and now steam punk has my attention. 3D modeling steam engines, cyber punk taking electronic scrap and turning it into sculpture.

the hood of a car i used to practice on and repaint it over and over. ya i was at one time into the alien theme but moved on.


View attachment 635352View attachment 635353View attachment 635354View attachment 635355View attachment 635356
The truth is out there!

Rob
 
Hi Paul,

I am new in the hobby and enjoyed your observations about car restorers and parallels in this hobby. I am trying to finish up (rigging) my first real kit - a Colin Archer and the Billings Boats instructions sort of stop - and looking at the drawings is all you have. I've watched YouTube to fill in the blanks and OMG existing Colin Archers are modified in every which way, so not hopeful on being historically accurate.

Nice to see other newbies with a sense of humor join the hobby and forum.
 
I agree with those who think passion for wanting to do a specific thing is more important than the skills to do it. I owned a Hobby shop for about five years and we always pushed people to buy RC trainers even though they wanted a P 51. But what I noticed was many who got the Trainer lost interest and never finished it the ones that still pursued their P 51 even against our recommendations, got them done, flew them and yes, most splattered them. But they were excited and continued on many going back to a trainer to learn how to fly them properly. Experience is great, but experimenting is also fun. Although I’ve built many wooden RC airplanes, some scratch built I decided to see if I could build a quarter scale aluminum P 51 and rivet it together. It was tedious but fun worked and flew well. But I am involved in restoring World War II airplanes so I had a little leg up on forming parts and riveting. I’ve been meaning to get into ships and also became confused over plank on frame or building it like a real ship I’ve learned more than I knew there was to learn. I did do a Midwest lobster boat and also the Swift. My frustration is I’d like to do an American ship that had some positive history that looks good. I also like to stick to specific scales specifically 1/72 and 1/32 depending on the size of the real thing. But I’ve learned that scale model ships come in a bunch of weird different scales. So as I’m still searching, I love reading these posts thank you.
 
I for one would never blast any beginer as I am one myself. My father built ships as a hobby for customers as well as for himself and I, but sadly he passed before I could learn how he scratchbuilt so easily. Obviously, I inherited a whole mess of plans and enlargments that aren't labled for which ship they represent. I also keep discovering new plans and complete sets of frames (that aren't labled either) all the time when reorganizing. I've got an entire backlog of kit ships that I will start working on once I retire (soon I think) and will likely, once that experience is gained, break into my dads plans and just start building. One thing I think that stops me from doing the scratch builds until I get more comfortable from the kits, is the memory I have of my Dad running wood over and over through the table saw just to get a few enough strips to plank the hull.
I know that you will soon adapt to this hobby as to restore a car is an art upon itself that most people can not even fathom. SO, from me to you. Don't sweat the purists, enjoy what you build , and be proud no matter how you much you feel "it could've been better if I did..."
 
  • Like
Reactions: Epp
Hi Paul,
There are a lot of similarities between the two hobbies. :)
I won't bother to note them, because I'm sure you already know.
In addition, someone will ask how to do something and they will get a bunch of responses using different methods. All of the methods listed will work, but the person that asked the question is now even more confused than before.
Something tells me that it is like this in just about every hobby there is as well as in the working world.


cancelled
 
The truth is out there!

Rob

yes it is and after so many years following the X file of aliens i came to the realization it is all nothing but a pop culture phenomenon created by Hollywood, pod casts, selling books and conspiracy theories. There are no aliens running around so i stopped painting them. I do go hog wild into an art or craft then when something shiny catches my eye i drop what i am doing and go in another direction except for model ship building i always come back to it.
 
I appreciate all who have read this thread and furthered the discussion. I will never be accused of keeping my opinions to myself among my friends, a public forum is an entirely different story. I am not sure what compelled me to post my thoughts here. As mentioned if nothing else it never hurts to remind our selves of what these groups are really for.
As Rob said its about the build, I wrote on the inside of my trailer (that I built) There is no cure and once there done there no fun.
 
I agree with those who think passion for wanting to do a specific thing is more important than the skills to do it. I owned a Hobby shop for about five years and we always pushed people to buy RC trainers even though they wanted a P 51. But what I noticed was many who got the Trainer lost interest and never finished it the ones that still pursued their P 51 even against our recommendations, got them done, flew them and yes, most splattered them. But they were excited and continued on many going back to a trainer to learn how to fly them properly. Experience is great, but experimenting is also fun. Although I’ve built many wooden RC airplanes, some scratch built I decided to see if I could build a quarter scale aluminum P 51 and rivet it together. It was tedious but fun worked and flew well. But I am involved in restoring World War II airplanes so I had a little leg up on forming parts and riveting. I’ve been meaning to get into ships and also became confused over plank on frame or building it like a real ship I’ve learned more than I knew there was to learn. I did do a Midwest lobster boat and also the Swift. My frustration is I’d like to do an American ship that had some positive history that looks good. I also like to stick to specific scales specifically 1/72 and 1/32 depending on the size of the real thing. But I’ve learned that scale model ships come in a bunch of weird different scales. So as I’m still searching, I love reading these posts thank you.
HOLY CRAP Ken!! - its Paul here. To say this guy has built a few models is an overwhelming understatement and his work is incredible! You really need to share a 'little" more about your involvement in restoring WWII aircraft. Those interested should google B-17 restoration Marengo IL.
 
Paul EEP

the title of the forum may read Ships of Scale but there is so much more going on here. So explore the forum and enjoy the creative minds that make it up.

some things are a bit beyond restoration, but someone will try.


DSCN1974.JPG

and other things people do out of passion

like restoring old engines lots of engines.


DSCN9564.JPGDSCN9587.JPG

and guys like me who travel to these places and photograph and measure stuff. Then using CAD drafting i recreate the subject as a scale model for model engineering and or 3D printing

DSCN9585.JPGDSCN9512.JPGengine.JPGengine2.JPGfigure 1 clean.jpg
 
I for one would never blast any beginer as I am one myself. My father built ships as a hobby for customers as well as for himself and I, but sadly he passed before I could learn how he scratchbuilt so easily. Obviously, I inherited a whole mess of plans and enlargments that aren't labled for which ship they represent. I also keep discovering new plans and complete sets of frames (that aren't labled either) all the time when reorganizing. I've got an entire backlog of kit ships that I will start working on once I retire (soon I think) and will likely, once that experience is gained, break into my dads plans and just start building. One thing I think that stops me from doing the scratch builds until I get more comfortable from the kits, is the memory I have of my Dad running wood over and over through the table saw just to get a few enough strips to plank the hull.
I know that you will soon adapt to this hobby as to restore a car is an art upon itself that most people can not even fathom. SO, from me to you. Don't sweat the purists, enjoy what you build , and be proud no matter how you much you feel "it could've been better if I did..."
Hi Shipwright- I didn't realize this until recently from reading on the forum, but there is a full selection of "mini" shop tools available including table saws. Cutting wood very thin on a full size table saw is not easy and can be a bit dangerous. There is probably a thread on this on the forum.
epp
 
i resaw with a band saw and run the strips through a thickness sander which you can build

 
Back
Top