A Salamander Challenge?

Easton, Maryland, USA (The Delmarva Peninsula)
I have spent more than a few hours searching the internet for any information regarding this question, but can't even find a clue. I assume that La Salamandre is not the only ship that had bilge pumps with cleats mounted at the top of the pump spear instead of pump handles. Obviously this means that ropes were tied to the spears, but then what? I can imagine that, on certain ships like Salamandre, pump handles could get in the way of other operations. I can even imagine a couple of ways this might be rigged, but I would really love to KNOW how these pumps were rigged and why it was done that way. I'm thinking it would be a nice educational feature for my model if I could accurately portray this arrangement.

I have spent more than a few hours searching the internet for any information regarding this question, but can't even find a clue. I assume that La Salamandre is not the only ship that had bilge pumps with cleats mounted at the top of the pump spear instead of pump handles. Obviously this means that ropes were tied to the spears, but then what? I can imagine that, on certain ships like Salamandre, pump handles could get in the way of other operations. I can even imagine a couple of ways this might be rigged, but I would really love to KNOW how these pumps were rigged and why it was done that way. I'm thinking it would be a nice educational feature for my model if I could accurately portray this arrangement.
Maybe @Uwek or @G. DELACROIX have more information on this topic

Hello,

The pumps of "La Salamandre" are the classic suction backflow-type, but here with the stick of the pumps say "royal" equipping the French ships.
There is no lever attached directly to the pump, it is moored to the mast which is near the pumps to ten feet above the deck. This lever has several ropes that are handled by men.
This system has three advantages, it does not clutter the deck, the piston has a longer stroke and several men can act on the lever.

GD

Example of a large ship, the balls facilitate the descent of the piston.
IMG_20200318_0001.jpg

Hello,

The pumps of "La Salamandre" are the classic suction backflow-type, but here with the stick of the pumps say "royal" equipping the French ships.
There is no lever attached directly to the pump, it is moored to the mast which is near the pumps to ten feet above the deck. This lever has several ropes that are handled by men.
This system has three advantages, it does not clutter the deck, the piston has a longer stroke and several men can act on the lever.

GD

Example of a large ship, the balls facilitate the descent of the piston.
View attachment 138541
Dear Gérard,
many thanks for the additional detailed explanation - very interesting detail :cool:

Back