A Schooner for Port Jackson, c.1803

I have been sitting in my living room for the past 22 years looking at a scratchbuilt hull with bowsprit sitting in its case, wondering when I would get around to doing the rigging, having built the hull in 1999/2000. As a little light relief from sculpting, converting and painting assorted figures, I thought that my eyesight would benefit from making the spars and rigging (!) for this little boat, whose lines were sent to the Governor of Sydney (Port Jackson) in 1803. Due to the density of the bush, most travel was by boat and it is not known whether this vessel was actually built. Although this is a well known kit with plans from the late Karl Heinz Marquardt, there are some discrepancies with the lines from the National Maritime Museum, which I have used along with the sail plan from the late David MacGregor, in 1/4":1' (1/48) scale. As with all my model boats and ships, it is mounted in a glass case over a mirror:

Finished, port side 2.jpg

Finished, fore deck.jpg

Finished, deck.jpg

Finished, aft deck 2.jpg

Finished, foremast.jpg

Finished, mainmast.jpg

Finished, port bow.jpg

Finished, port quarter.jpg

I used one of BECC flags, and painted over the design on the fabric with acrylic paints to seal the fabric. After attaching the ensign to its lanyard I heated it with a hair drier so I could put the folds in place, and used a rubber band to keep the shape until the ensign had cooled.

Mike

I have been sitting in my living room for the past 22 years looking at a scratchbuilt hull with bowsprit sitting in its case, wondering when I would get around to doing the rigging, having built the hull in 1999/2000. As a little light relief from sculpting, converting and painting assorted figures, I thought that my eyesight would benefit from making the spars and rigging (!) for this little boat, whose lines were sent to the Governor of Sydney (Port Jackson) in 1803. Due to the density of the bush, most travel was by boat and it is not known whether this vessel was actually built. Although this is a well known kit with plans from the late Karl Heinz Marquardt, there are some discrepancies with the lines from the National Maritime Museum, which I have used along with the sail plan from the late David MacGregor, in 1/4":1' (1/48) scale. As with all my model boats and ships, it is mounted in a glass case over a mirror:
Hallo @MCPWilk
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

View attachment 307883

View attachment 307884

View attachment 307885

View attachment 307886

View attachment 307887

View attachment 307888

View attachment 307889

View attachment 307890
Hallo @MCPWilk
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Although this is a well known kit with plans from the late Karl Heinz Marquardt, there are some
Hi WCPWilk,.
If you are referring to this kit: https://www.modelerscentral.com/mod...shipyard/colonial-schooner-port-jackson-1803/
The kit and plans were developed and drawn by myself for Brian Forrester in 1985. (The original owner of Modellers Shipyard.) Karl and I were friends and our interest in the vessel was mutual.

Very nice model!! well done.

Regards
Allan Tyler

post-2038-0-08402000-1453042920.jpgPJS-01.pngPJS-02.pngPJS-03.png

Thank you all for your kind words. I used the Modellers Shipyard plans for some of the detail, but the NMM contemporary plans clearly showed four deadeyes over channels per mast, as modelled, and David MacGregor's sail plan clearly showed yards crossed on the main as well as the foremast. I did correspond with the late Karl-Heinz Marquardt when living in Sydney nearly thirty years ago regarding another model of mine. His correspondence and books have been very useful over the years. David MacGregor used to live quite close to me as well and was well worth a vist. I think his numerous plans ended up in the SS Great Britain Trust in Bristol.

Here's to a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New year to all,

Mike

Back