A set of drawings of the frigate HMS Solebay. Scale 1:48

Not on the rights of advertising or authorship,I want to share a link to the drawings.HMS Solebay (1694) was a 28-gun frigate of the 6th rank of the Royal Navy. The fourth British ship named Solebay. The drawings were developed by Russian modeler Narim Maygeldinov.Drawings on 19 sheets of M:48 format.A link to the store where you can buy this set of drawings. https://modelsworld.ru/shop/product46300.php

№ 17.jpg№ 1.jpg

Last edited:
It is looking like a very interesting planset.
Do you have the drawings? So maybe you could show us more photos of the set, so we can see and could get a feeling about the quality and details.
On the web-site there is only visible a photo of a model.......

Interesting also is the fact, that the 1763 Solebay was a Mermaid-class of total six launched frigates
All of them had a longer career, so it would be maybe also interesting to build a model

First batch
  • Mermaid
    • Launched: 6 May 1761
    • Fate: Run ashore to avoid capture by the French 8 July 1778.
  • Hussar
    • Launched: 26 August 1763
    • Fate: Wrecked in Hell's Gate passage, New York, on 24 November 1779.
  • Solebay
    • Launched: 9 September 1763
    • Fate: Wrecked off Nevis Island and burnt to avoid capture 25 January 1782.
Second batch
  • Greyhound
    • Launched: 20 July 1773
    • Fate: Wrecked off Deal 16 August 1781.
  • Triton
    • Launched: 1 October 1773
    • Fate: Taken to pieces at Deptford Dockyard in January 1796.
  • Boreas
    • Launched: 23 August 1774
    • Fate: Sold at Sheerness Dockyard May 1802.

And in addition there are also several contemporary drawings at the NMM existing, which could be a source of additional information

f.e.

j6370.jpg
Scale 1:48. Plan showing the body plan, sheer lines and longitudinal half breadth as proposed and approved for Mermaid (1761), a 28-gun, Fifth Rate Frigate, for building at Hull by Mr Blaydes, and later for Hussar (1763) and Soleby (1763), also 28-gun, Fifth Rate Frigates, similar to the French Aurora (Abienakise 1757). The sheer was altered for these two ships. Annotation on the reverse: "A copy of this Draught was given to Messers Hugh & Beris Blaydes for building a ship agreeable there to May 1760 Named the Mermaid. Another Copy of this Body & Lines with the sheer part agreeable to another Draught a little alter'd there to 20th March 1762 - Nam'd the Hussar. Another of the same as above was given to Mr Thos Airey & Co for Building the ship agreeable there to at Newcastle upon Tyne 10th April 1762 - Named the - Solebay."

or
j0130.jpg
j6374.jpg
j6369.jpg

To build this ship in scratch could be a very interesting project - based on very good documentation

No, I don't have any drawings.They just appeared on sale.The drawings were made according to the measurements of the model stored in the Central Naval Museum.In addition, the author completed the construction of the Admiralty model.Which was sold in London at the Christies auction.You can read more on the website http://forum.modelsworld.ru/topic15052.html And this is how the model of the author of the drawings looks like26.jpg28 (1).jpg30.jpg32.jpg33.jpg

@Uwe,

it is not possible to build a correct model of the first batch of the mermaid class with drawings of the second batch and vice versa. The design of the hull has changed.

@Uwe,

it is not possible to build a correct model of the first batch of the mermaid class with drawings of the second batch and vice versa. The design of the hull has changed.
you are right - I did not compare the typical data of the batches before I wrote the post you refer to.
But in the meantime we realized, that it is completly different ship with the same name.of another period
Please see

Here is the latest news from that topic.
- Hello, friends !
After familiarizing colleagues with the drawings that I posted in this topic, and the topics opened by A. Ivanov on the forum "Shipyard on the table", "Solebey"? To the question: the method of identification", I received some comments and requests to improve the drawings. I tried to take into account and correct them all .
In particular, on sheet No. 5 "Boards of the main deck", I added another drawing taking into account the width of the boards according to the book by P. Goodwin.
On sheet No. 8 "Cross-section along the frames", I added the decor of the bow and stern increased to the 35th scale, as on the model from the museum, because in the 48th scale, some thought that the decor was not very clear.
The drawings are completed with a description in Russian , now, personally for Deep, there is an English translation ( a real professional translation, not a Google translator). In the "World of Models" it was abandoned due to the lack of an English-speaking audience, so it makes sense to complete the drawings with an English translation only to order.
That's how it is, so.
Sincerely, Nariman.-
I asked him how you, potential buyers, can contact him.

М 48 №8 Сечение по шпангоутам.jpg

М 48 №5  Доски главной палубы.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Footropes on the crossjack-yard, for what?
At the begin-yard perts, breaststroke, topenants and mars-sheet blocks were wound up in the same way as on other lower yards."Mast, rigging and sails of ships of the XVIII century "- Marquardt p.78.

Anderson, in “The rigging of the ships in the days of spritsail topmast 1600-1720”, page 152, writes a slightly different. Coud you show at least one English historical model with footropes on a crossjack-yard ?

Anderson, in “The rigging of the ships in the days of spritsail topmast 1600-1720”, page 152, writes a slightly different. Coud you show at least one English historical model with footropes on a crossjack-yard ?
I answered you at the shipyard.

Back