AAAUUUUUU

Had a friend who took hold of a running power plane with his fingers under the planing deck. You would not believe what that looked like but he did get all his fingers back to mostly normal and considers himself lucky. I would agree to that. He's not allowed to work on his boat anymore.

I second the motion to always use push blocks with the jointer. Also add a splitter to the table saw.

Ouch.....OMG
Wishing you all the best for a fantastic recovery,
Best regards , Shota

I see your planer accident and raise you a table saw.
A stupid thing, I was cutting 5mm strips, last cut of the day, dropped the cut piece and tried to catch it. No, I didn't have the guard over the blade because I can't get on with that. It has all healed okay, but I lost the inside edge of my left thumb and the nail has grown back a bit strange which the grandkids call The Raptor Claw. Still, if I let it grow a bit longer it's great for nipping the two threads while whipping on blocks! Every cloud has a silver lining, eh?

DSC_0390.JPG

DSC_0389.JPG

That looks extremely painful, and no chance of getting it mended, we all take chances but many succumb to this type of injury with using this type of machinery. I once witnessed a work colleague rebate his hand on a jointer many years ago a boy was it a mess.

It's certainly not my intent to make light of your posted injuries as I'm 82 years of age and all my life has been working with machine tools, woodworking tools etc. Fortunately I still have all my digits. I do use push sticks and push pads with my table saws and jointer/planners. What I do not use and never have is use "safety" guards on my table saws and anything else that IMHO interferes with my sightline when cutting materials. But that's just me.
Also I never overload my machines when sawing, milling, planning etc. Bad things happen when forcing machines beyond normal duty.

Unfortunately wise people sometimes do dumb things. Case in point is one of my employees was milling plexiglass sheets for a flume we were building and when I returned from my lunch break I found most of his thumb laying on my Bridgeport table. His explanation was that he was feeling along the edge of the plexiglass as it was being milled.

I still have the scar to remind me of one of my dumb things I did when I was a very young lad. I was lying in bed carving a wooden car model with a hobby knife and it slipped. I came very close to losing the 'family jewels' with that one.

I guess the point of all this rambling is BE CAREFUL !!!

Thanks for your attention friends, shit happens, it was stupid not to use the sliders that came with the machine, the shortcut I took, not very smart.
BDW, many years ago I cut off the outermost joint of my right index finger, it was sewn back on but the joint is now stiff, but still works well in model building.
Maybe I'm a distant relative of unlucy Luke, ha ha

For around 15 years I managed a furniture factory -which meant I was actually working on the shop floor where the money gets assembled. One day I was cutting some oak boards when one of the guys asked me a question while I sawed boards on autopilot.... It was then I felt my thumbnail getting hot - I looked and it was touching the side of the blade - it was friction heat. No damage done, but thinking about that still gives me the shivers, I was a few mm away from losing my thumb.

ive seen some gruesome table saw accidents. i can sympathies your pain.

frankie four fingers was lucky to find 2 of 4 fingers in the dust collector. his thumb replacement/swap for a large toe was very successful.

Back