Advice needed on Bluenose POF build.

I can see why you want the gaffs raised, there's definitely some clutter by there.
Quite a while back, I tried to imagine how it would look, if I would fabricate the sails from a see-through material... Never went there.
One item related to the lazy jacks going to the booms is that in the MS2130 some are identified as being used in racing setup and often not when fishing. The YQ model presents itself and may be built as such or items eliminated or reduced as you desire to end up with an appearance that pleases your eyes. Rich (PT-2)

Dear Bluenose builders,

As some of you might know, I'm currently in the final stages of rebuilding a Billing Boats Bluenose model my father initially build.
During this process I came to realize, partly due to the visits I paid to this website, that I want to build a more authentic model of the Bluenose.
Of course my attention was drawn to the various POF build logs on this website and became impressed by the beauty of the YuangQing model.
But... My experience is limited to 2 POB models some 40 years ago (BB Lilla Dan and AL Scottish Maid). So I'm rather reluctant (or just having cold feet) to just go ahead and order and start building this model.
What really is bothering me is, that apparently some of you ran into issues with broken frames, because their construction is not rigid enough to handle "building" stresses. So, what's more lurking under the surface?

So what would your recommendations be? First built for instance a Model Shipways POB kit, prior to embarking on a POF build? Or just go ahead and embark on the POF journey? Bear in mind I'm at best an advanced beginner...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have.

Johan

Dear Bluenose builders,

As some of you might know, I'm currently in the final stages of rebuilding a Billing Boats Bluenose model my father initially build.
During this process I came to realize, partly due to the visits I paid to this website, that I want to build a more authentic model of the Bluenose.
Of course my attention was drawn to the various POF build logs on this website and became impressed by the beauty of the YuangQing model.
But... My experience is limited to 2 POB models some 40 years ago (BB Lilla Dan and AL Scottish Maid). So I'm rather reluctant (or just having cold feet) to just go ahead and order and start building this model.
What really is bothering me is, that apparently some of you ran into issues with broken frames, because their construction is not rigid enough to handle "building" stresses. So, what's more lurking under the surface?

So what would your recommendations be? First built for instance a Model Shipways POB kit, prior to embarking on a POF build? Or just go ahead and embark on the POF journey? Bear in mind I'm at best an advanced beginner...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have.

Johan
Hi Johan, I too am in the process of building the Billings Bluenose. I also want to build a more authentic model of the Bluenose. I attach a video of my build that may be of use to you. I am not impressed with the Billings Drawings that are best described as as only a sketch. Their usefulness is very limited. However, I never had any difficulties with "building stresses" or broken frames. If any frames, or any other parts break during your build, then my philosophy is I need to do what I can to remake it. The frames can be remade, In the video attached you may note that I had to address damage to the Keel alignment due to water damage, and also some missing items. I served my apprenticeship as a toolmaker in 1970... My Journeyman, the skilled chaps who trained me gave me the ability to solve problems and reassured me that If I screwed up, There was plenty of materials in the store for me to let me solve my errors, or start again. Just don't panic! There are very good information out there that should aid your research. I hope this short video I am sending you helps? Good luck, and enjoy...

Attachments

• Ian Wilsons Bluenose build log up to February 2021 Copy.mp4
    39.1 MB
Hi Johan, I too am in the process of building the Billings Bluenose. I also want to build a more authentic model of the Bluenose. I attach a video of my build that may be of use to you. I am not impressed with the Billings Drawings that are best described as as only a sketch. Their usefulness is very limited. However, I never had any difficulties with "building stresses" or broken frames. If any frames, or any other parts break during your build, then my philosophy is I need to do what I can to remake it. The frames can be remade, In the video attached you may note that I had to address damage to the Keel alignment due to water damage, and also some missing items. I served my apprenticeship as a toolmaker in 1970... My Journeyman, the skilled chaps who trained me gave me the ability to solve problems and reassured me that If I screwed up, There was plenty of materials in the store for me to let me solve my errors, or start again. Just don't panic! There are very good information out there that should aid your research. I hope this short video I am sending you helps? Good luck, and enjoy...
Thank you for sharing!
I think you can be proud of your Bluenose model, it sure looks good.
The experience you have with the BB plans and instructions is a shared one; they are more guidance material than building instructions and require quite some research from the modeler.
But, as you showed in your video, patience and perseverance can get you reach a very presentable result.
And more importantly, a beautiful journey.
Kind regards, Johan

It's been a while since I asked for your recommendations on what to pursue; first built an MS POB kit, or to just go ahead and embark on the POF journey.
You fellow modelers gave me quite some food for thought, but after seeing the work done by, amongst others, Dean and Peter on their POF builds, I decided to go ahead and jump off the deep end: I will start a POF Bluenose build... (While keeping my fingers crossed.)
I would like to thank you all for your inputs, I really do appreciate and value your thoughts and time you put I to responding to my request for your advice.

Big thanks and kind regards,

Johan

PS The rebuild of my father's Bluenose is nearing completion!

It's been a while since I asked for your recommendations on what to pursue; first built an MS POB kit, or to just go ahead and embark on the POF journey.
You fellow modelers gave me quite some food for thought, but after seeing the work done by, amongst others, Dean and Peter on their POF builds, I decided to go ahead and jump off the deep end: I will start a POF Bluenose build... (While keeping my fingers crossed.)
I would like to thank you all for your inputs, I really do appreciate and value your thoughts and time you put I to responding to my request for your advice.

Big thanks and kind regards,

Johan

PS The rebuild of my father's Bluenose is nearing completion!
That’s good to hear. Welcome aboard! And as you know, you will have the support of people who have either built the ship, or are building it. I think you will do well, just take your time and ask questions if you are not sure.

Hello Johan,
A little late, but the email notifications are still not working for me. And there is so much to read and keep track of.......
But I can only fully agree with Dean's answer. I read another line that you had placed the order.
A warm welcome. And when I see the delivery dates passing by, it goes on the BN list.
Regards, Peter

Back