Advice on making a wood deck from veneer

I have a resin YS Masterpieces,1/350 scale Georgios Averof that I am considering placing a wood veneer deck on. As I am inexperienced in wood crafting, my thought was to purchase a generic sheet of decking in the scale and custom trimming the veneer to match the fore and aft deck areas, i am concerned, in particular, about cutting out the areas for the deck fittings If anyone has experience with this, I would appreciate your help.1668228081412.png

I have a resin YS Masterpieces,1/350 scale Georgios Averof that I am considering placing a wood veneer deck on. As I am inexperienced in wood crafting, my thought was to purchase a generic sheet of decking in the scale and custom trimming the veneer to match the fore and aft deck areas, i am concerned, in particular, about cutting out the areas for the deck fittings If anyone has experience with this, I would appreciate your help.View attachment 340016
Pictures?

HE3890AD7-8157-40F1-B859-3E6FDB22EC82.pngere is a picture of the fire and aft decks taken from a book I have. I can supply more if necessary

This was taken while I was on the ship recently This plan most accurately depicts the deck plan. The areas amisships and the superstructure are steel decking 8A0F9149-CC39-484B-A3C4-C883921EE3A6.jpeg

If you are going to use veneer, it will need to be cut into strips. Use a strip cutter if you can. Cutting opening will take some measurements and a sharp X-Acto with a #11 blade or maybe even a scalpel. Start amid ships to layout the centerline and plank then go from there, cutting and fitting each strip to fit. Some sanding and shaping may be necessary.Strip Cutter 1.jpg

Do you think I could use a generic deck sheet or would that be a more Complicated procedure?View attachment 340188
I think, this could be the best solution, if you find some in appr. your scale you are building !

cutting single strips with only some micrometer, although with the best knife or cutter could be a big mess, partly during the cutting, but also latest with gluing them down on the plastik deck.

Uwek,
Thank you. I believe Scaledecks has the planks and random colors printed on veneer to match my scale. This is such an obscure model kit that I cannot find a precut deck. My problem with using the sheet is how to cut around all of the hardware that is on the deck.
I will attempt to create a paper pattern to scale. Cutting accurately is the main concern. Should I invest in a laser type of cutter?

Uwek,
Thank you. I believe Scaledecks has the planks and random colors printed on veneer to match my scale. This is such an obscure model kit that I cannot find a precut deck. My problem with using the sheet is how to cut around all of the hardware that is on the deck.
I will attempt to create a paper pattern to scale. Cutting accurately is the main concern. Should I invest in a laser type of cutter?
Before you invest so much money, I would give it a try with very careful cuts based on paper templates.
For the money of a laser cutter you can buy soooooo much veneer planking that you can make dozens of test decks.....
I would cut the form slightly bigger and sand carefully down to the correct form - you will see with some patience it will work very well.
BTW: Also with a laser cutter you have to sand the edges carefully in order to remove the laser char .....

Thank you for the advice. I will move forward, when I begin this project, with your suggestions.

Regarding the Averof, I have another question. I have seen the hulls on models painted several ways. Also photos of her during her last dry dock show the hull repainted black. Reference drawings show a red hull with a black boot.
My question to those familiar with the Averof is: was the hull painted in hull red with a black boot topping, a solid black, or perhaps as I have seen some Italian ships hulls done in a green with black boottop.
Many thanks again for everyone’s help.

I have that little razor cutter and found it a bit difficult to use. It's certainly not fast. Instead, I cut a whole bunch of planks from thin veneers using the band saw and just lightly sanded the feathers off the edges and that was much faster, and there was no variation in width.

Make a paper template or two until you achieve a near perfect fit. Once satisfied use the template to cut out the the generic veneer. You only have the stern and fore sections so that should be easy to fit. Green antifouling was exclusive to the Italian Navy. The ship, a Pisa-class cruiser like her Italian sisters Amalfi and Pisa, was built at Orlando Shipyards at Livorno in Italy so it would be appropriate for her to have had green antifouling when purchased by the Hellenic navy in 1910(?).

9A282EDA-D441-4B38-8D53-86570A0C2BE9.jpegI felt that I would try to practice cutting the deck with card stock of similar thickness to the veneer, so as not to waste experience veneer. As for the hull color, I had considered green as being the first color on a new Italian built ship. Then I came across these pictures of the 2017 refit once the hull was cleaned, red was her last color prior to being redone in black, ergo I am perplexed as to the color I should go with.
My next issue is hot to create cage aerials. I have the spreaders in PE and need to wake6 aerials in total. EC4DF195-39B4-47B7-ACB9-3C6FDC9579FF.jpegDD8CB48E-654A-4576-932F-C58F2EF16A2A.jpeg9A282EDA-D441-4B38-8D53-86570A0C2BE9.jpeg

Would it be easier and cleaner to make a new plastic card deck, glue wood to it and then remove the details from the original model’s deck or scratch build new details.

Handsome ship. - Looking at those photos obviously of a recent refit I'd use Black for the Boot Topping and standard Red Oxide for below the waterline antifouling. If you wish 1910+ scheme Light Ash Grey, Black boot Topping and Green anti fouling. Cheers.

I feel using plastic card and wood veneer would raise the deck profile too much.
Regarding the hull, I believe the color will depend on the era I choose to portray her in.
If I can produce the cage aerials effectively, I’ll shoot for the 1920s paint scheme. Otherwise I will probably go with the early green hull

Back