Advice requested for 18th Century diorama adapting figures for use on ships

I am using the HMS Fly 1/64 to represent an event in my family history, this ship is a similar style to to what the British navy used along the Scottish coast. A group of my fellow clansmen decided it would be a great idea to hijack a sloop while the soldiers were off pillaging the neighbourhood. They killed the watch and cast off with great enthusiasm and self congratulations. After much drinking and drifting they came to their senses the next day and realized none of them knew how to sail. 2 weeks later they were captured adrift in the mid Atlantic. Most were taken back and hung. The higher ups were dropped in Jamaica were they were distantly related to the current Governor so escaped the noose and established a plantation near Kingston. I need to adapt Scottish soldiers and make it look like they are part of the ship as they head out to sea. Looking for examples and suggestions for mixing typical land figures into a naval scenario.

I am using the HMS Fly 1/64 to represent an event in my family history, this ship is a similar style to to what the British navy used along the Scottish coast. A group of my fellow clansmen decided it would be a great idea to hijack a sloop while the soldiers were off pillaging the neighbourhood. They killed the watch and cast off with great enthusiasm and self congratulations. After much drinking and drifting they came to their senses the next day and realized none of them knew how to sail. 2 weeks later they were captured adrift in the mid Atlantic. Most were taken back and hung. The higher ups were dropped in Jamaica were they were distantly related to the current Governor so escaped the noose and established a plantation near Kingston. I need to adapt Scottish soldiers and make it look like they are part of the ship as they head out to sea. Looking for examples and suggestions for mixing typical land figures into a naval scenario.
So how did you family ancestors involved in the capture evade the noose and able to further your family lineage? I love history involved with the ships and boats that we build. Rich ( PT-2)

That group was a branch of the family, like 10th great Uncle who led the raid and ended up in Jamaica after most of his men were hung. The British tended not to hang minor Nobles as they didn’t want the same treatment. I found an Admiralty record about a ship returning Scottish prisoners captured at sea, the time frame fits so I’m assuming it’s the unlucky ones from the raid.

This is really a great part of History - one of these stories, which are usually not written in the books.
So you need scottish men in scale 1:64 ?
and most of them no seamen - climbing up the shrouds / ratlines wearing "only" a kilt was very interesting, I guess

Wow, those miniatures are awesome, though wrong kilt colours :) I found a place in the UK online that sells lots of figures, Drum and Flag. I have several sets of Jacobite Scotts as well as Celtic warriors all 28mm. Painting them will be a new adventure. This project will start once I finish the Bluenose, so maybe another month or so.

Wow, those miniatures are awesome, though wrong kilt colours :) I found a place in the UK online that sells lots of figures, Drum and Flag. I have several sets of Jacobite Scotts as well as Celtic warriors all 28mm. Painting them will be a new adventure. This project will start once I finish the Bluenose, so maybe another month or so.
They look more like the shoreline welcoming party than those climbing the shrouds and yards. Rich (PT-2)

I used 1/72 figures aboard my Victory diorama. They were very easily adaptable to seamen and readily available. I simply cut the heads and limbs off and placed them in the required position using 2 part epoxy paste. The painting was easy as this scale and uniforms were only required for the officers. See "Scale distance" page 44 How to Build Dioramas by Shep Paine.

Last edited:
Back