Aeropiccola kits

Hi Guys, new on this site and based in the UK at the moment. I have a number of kits (15) that I will be selling soon. I have been buying these kits with a view to make them on my retirement, however due to a medical problem retirement is now not an option.
The kits vary in manufacturers and most of these are easy to price, but there are 3 Aeropiccola kits. These would be "The Essex", "HMS Swift" and "Serapis" and I have no idea of what these kits could be worth.
If anyone out there would be able to help with a guide as to what I could sell these for it would be gratefully appreciated.

first of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum
You have there three really interesting kits from aeropiccola - they are older but very good kits - I have f.e. also the Serapis on my shelf

for the Essex you have to shortly clarify, if you have the complete ship kit or the section model?

f.e. everybody else not knowing the kits please take a look at the boxes

0021161_essex-wood-ship-model-by-aeropiccola--MSC146.jpg

Unbenannt.JPG

Unbenannt1.JPG

Unbenannt2.JPG

Hiya Uwek
Thank you for your message. They are the complete kits not the cross section. The Essex and the Serapis are complete and untouched in their boxes and the Swift was bought as a project, the hull had been started with some of the first planking started (Not very well started) but I bought it with a view to put it right and then build the rest of it. I'll beam over some photos when I get the chance.
For reference the other kits for sale are:
Hermione La Fayette Complete boxed kit (Artesania)
Scottish Maid Complete boxed (Artesania)
HMS Supply complete boxed (Artesania)
San Juan Nepomuceno complete boxed (Artesania)
Cutty Sark Complete with fittings kit (Billings)
USS Constitution Complete boxed (Mantua)
HMS Pandora Complete boxed (Constructo)
HMS Jalouse Complete boxed (Caldercraft)
HMS Bounty (Amati) the keel and ribs have been made but the rest of the kit is still boxed
Chinese Junk (Amati) The keel and ribs have been made but the rest of the kit is still boxed
HMS Victory complete boxed kit (Mamoli)
Essex (Aeropiccola)
Serapis (Aeropiccola)
HMS Swift (As above)
I'll post some photos as soon as possible
Cheers

first of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum
You have there three really interesting kits from aeropiccola - they are older but very good kits - I have f.e. also the Serapis on my shelf

for the Essex you have to shortly clarify, if you have the complete ship kit or the section model?

f.e. everybody else not knowing the kits please take a look at the boxes

View attachment 297615

View attachment 297612

View attachment 297613

View attachment 297614
The factory has quitted in 1991. All these kits are tecnically awfull, as they were mainly designed on the typical 60's o4 70's lack of reliable documents, badly machined and providing stuff of bad quality. Nevertheless, they worth as vintage objects for sure. Just checked on e-bay and found a Lexinton kit for sale at 290€

Last edited:
The factory has quitted in 1991. All these kits are tecnically awfull, as they were mainly designed on the typical 60's o4 70's lack of reliable documents, badly machined and providind stuff of bad quality. Nevertheless, they worth as vintage objects for sure. Just checked on e-bay and found a Lexinton kit for sale at 290€
Thanks mate, useful to know.

For the right price even a bad kit can be sold to make back some of purchase costs.
That's the plan Kurt, I know a few years ago the Aeropiccola kits were selling for more than the cast price because they were discontinued, but I'd be pleased with a fair price. I'm thinking E-bay would be the best route to go down even with fees.

In my experience eBay is for those who are looking for a bargain, thus prices are somewhat lower and variable. If you have a rare model then prices would usually reflect that value. It all depends on the model and desirability.

Ebay does have a seller fee, but it opens bids up to larger crowd, who may raise price in bidding competition.
It seems there's not nearly as many auctions as there used to be on EBay. Most ship models I see there now have a fixed price. The auctions were fun.

It seems there's not nearly as many auctions as there used to be on EBay. Most ship models I see there now have a fixed price. The auctions were fun.
I used to sit up for hours waiting for auctions to end in different places in the world with different time zones, you're right it was fun.

I bought the Serapis from Model Expo about 15 years ago for $250 US
My guess is you could probably get at least double what you paid for it and probably more from a collector or someone who really wants one of these kits. I saw a build log of the Serapis on Model Ship World and it looked pretty nice. The builder stated he wasn't too happy about building the galleries and liked the precarved ones included in the kit.
I bought the Mamoli Lexington from Model Expo on 7/02/1999 for 62.99 + 7.99 S&H
I googled todays price at Model Expo on sale for 199.99 reg. 219.00. I added to cart to check shipping they gave an additional $60 off, total cost 139.99 with free shipping. Not a bad deal but about double what I paid 23 yrs ago. I saw another vendor selling it for $303.99! So prices today are significantly higher. I couldn't find the Serapis for sale anywhere and only a few Aeropiccola models. The Victory asking price was $189

My guess is you could probably get at least double what you paid for it and probably more from a collector or someone who really wants one of these kits. I saw a build log of the Serapis on Model Ship World and it looked pretty nice. The builder stated he wasn't too happy about building the galleries and liked the precarved ones included in the kit.
I bought the Mamoli Lexington from Model Expo on 7/02/1999 for 62.99 + 7.99 S&H
I googled todays price at Model Expo on sale for 199.99 reg. 219.00. I added to cart to check shipping they gave an additional $60 off, total cost 139.99 with free shipping. Not a bad deal but about double what I paid 23 yrs ago. I saw another vendor selling it for $303.99! So prices today are significantly higher. I couldn't find the Serapis for sale anywhere and only a few Aeropiccola models. The Victory asking price was $189
Thanks mate, that really helps, I'm busy getting photos and stuff ready for selling them and I might try on here first with the option of falling back on ebay if they don't sell here.

I challenge the notion that these kits were awful. Back in the mid-late 1970s I was stationed in Italy with the Navy. My wife bought me the cheap HMS Victory, a kit from their SuperMec line of beginner kits. However, I took my time and built a much better model than what the manufacturer intended. All kits are simply starting points leading to that what you can make of them. Today, that old model HMS Victory is on my mantle in a case. It is a very detailed replica of the real ship in her 1800-1805 appearance. I have dedicated this model to my wife.

Bill

I challenge the notion that these kits were awful. Back in the mid-late 1970s I was stationed in Italy with the Navy. My wife bought me the cheap HMS Victory, a kit from their SuperMec line of beginner kits. However, I took my time and built a much better model than what the manufacturer intended. All kits are simply starting points leading to that what you can make of them. Today, that old model HMS Victory is on my mantle in a case. It is a very detailed replica of the real ship in her 1800-1805 appearance. I have dedicated this model to my wife.

Bill
Dear friend,
Didn't mean to be unpleasant to anyone's feelings. I'd be rather flattered by your devotion to your wife. Don't know Areopiccola's Victory kit at all, but it could possibly be fine, as Victory, preserved in a dry dock, has had probably well known even by a small italian factory operating in the 60's - 70's'. I remember I got a serious crush for the HMS Serapis even in the late 80's but I had to admit its kit was, in any respect, well inferior to Corel's or even Panart's kits.
Regards!

Back