Parts review Aftermarket naval guns parts to upscale, Part 3/3

yep... this had been discussed already with the designer. Do you remember Radioshack's slogan: You have the question, we have the answer! ;)
yes, I am old enough to remember Radio Shack and used to buy many electronic items from them before they became a cell phone store and went out of business.

I believe two versus one in-haul line was based on weight of the cannon. On the Boudroit drawings of the Bonhomme Richard, the main gundeck has rings for two in-haul lines on the main gun deck. Next deck up, there is only one ring for a single in-haul line. See photos below:s

Main Gundeck (two rings)
View attachment 474752

Middle Deck (smaller cannons and only one center ring for in-hauling)
View attachment 474753
I'm not sure what the rings are directly behind the carriage wheels??? Looks to me like they would cause big problems while the carriage rolled back.
Not sure why they would have rings just behind a carriage location, to haul in, they need to be length of barrel or more behind the location.

I'm not sure what the rings are directly behind the carriage wheels??? Looks to me like they would cause big problems while the carriage rolled back.
exactly my point as well, Brad. Not that I don't trust J.Boudriot but two rings behind the gun will make the gun jump while firing and recoil.

Thanks Brad,
I would not be surprised if contemporary information is made more difficult to find due to numerous terms for the same thing such as train tackle, relieving tackle and in-haul tackle. I was hoping for contemporary sources but assume that Jean Boudriot based his information on such sources. For English cannon, after doing more digging I looked in An Universal Dictionary of the Marine by William Falconer and he gives descriptions of the train tackle which he also calls relieving tackle on a separate page but does not describe when either single or double rigs were used. For anyone interested Falconer's dictionary it is a great source with over 400 pages of descriptions of parts of a ship. https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/57705#:~:text=Falconer, William, 1732-1769: Title: An Universal Dictionary of the Marine

Allan

Back