age of some kits

the other thing with this kit is that bollards, fife rails, mast caps, ect. are all laser cut out of plywood. ok i guess if you are painting the pieces, but useless for staining as the ply edges look terrible. i have to make all these parts from scratch now. not a big deal to make but it seem that the only useable parts in this kit are the bulkheads, keel, planking material and some fittings . im starting to get that ripped-off feeling.

well, obviously,, people have more money than I do... that is why I complain so much... If you are going to sell something... make sure everything is there,,, I am so tired of getting robbed..
yah, i know.. if should be expected.. well, that is not going to fly anymore.. when I pay for something. it had all surely better be there... there is way too much competition this day and age for it not to be.
My first kit was HM Barque Endeavour by Caldercraft/Jotika. very good in all respects, black cord in four sizes, light brown cord in five sizes, all precut CNC wood fitted well and cast parts to scale and all present. All drawing (8 of them) showed part numbers and sizes of all timbers and cordage together with blocks and deadeyes in a total of 11 sizes. Building Endeavour (see photo attached) has kept me occupied and sane throughtout the Covid Lockdown which for me started in January and is still in force 11 months later.
I shall not be buying any other make of kit, just Jotika and they are great at supplying additional parts for use on other models, or for super detailing including deadeyes, various sized blocks, and cordage, they have a seller in the USA I believe, I have just bought their kit for the Mary Rose.
When it comes to rigging a sailing ship, I recommend the book " Rigging Period Ship Models" by Lennarth Peterson, Seaforth Publishing ISBN 978 1 84832 102 1
I write all of the above as a satisfied customer and have no association with any ship model company or supplier.
Derek Payne, England, UK

B00015 003.jpg

I have bought a few OLD kits on eBay, mostly for practice on and to see how things were done.

As you have said, kits over 10 years are almost antique now based on fast advances in design in just last few years.

I have seen and heard some of the older companies mixes parts of different scale because of what they had in stock, and didn't think builders would notice or mind.

Currently working on the Mantua USS Constitution and have nothing but frustration in each step. Mantua did not supply the planks for decking. Had to buy the copper plates for the hull (no second blanking for the hull), and no life boats.
Instructions are very unclear and not organized with English on pages 6,7,8 and then on 21 and 22 in between other languages? Drawings are difficult as well and going to other sources to help to get a clear understanding.
I have worked on Amati and Caldercraft and they were amazing kits compared to Mantua.
Finishing is not a question - how long it will take is. All I can say is this kit is a real challenge.

I will never buy a Mantua kit again after this experience. Due to availability I usually order from amazon, which sell pretty well A.L. kits only so i figured i would try something else. Cornwall Model Boats is a great company in England that sells pretty much everything a modeler would need, but unfortunatly due to covid they were out of stock on most of their better kits and I thought I would try Mantua. Live and learn. the written plans are garbage, however their large fold-out plans are o.k. It is their attention to scale that is severely lacking.

I will never buy a Mantua kit again after this experience. Due to availability I usually order from amazon, which sell pretty well A.L. kits only so i figured i would try something else. Cornwall Model Boats is a great company in England that sells pretty much everything a modeler would need, but unfortunatly due to covid they were out of stock on most of their better kits and I thought I would try Mantua. Live and learn. the written plans are garbage, however their large fold-out plans are o.k. It is their attention to scale that is severely lacking.
My Mantua kit's fold-out plans come in 100% for the hull, and two closely similar but different scales of around 90% for the rigging. It's not pointed out in the booklet anywhere and caused me some grief.

I think you’re doing admirably with what you’re been provided. Great job, keep on bashing. Would be nice to know before buying if a kit is any good. I will definitely ask the SOS members about any future purchase before I buy it.

Nothing to add, shipahoy! Great bashing results and very nice color schema: contrast + accuracy = beautiful!

Back