Airbrush

I am looking for advice on what is, in your opinions, the best or better airbrush to purchase. I want to eliminate the brushy look when using acrylics on a wooden model. Any input is appreciated!

I am looking for advice on what is, in your opinions, the best or better airbrush to purchase. I want to eliminate the brushy look when using acrylics on a wooden model. Any input is appreciated!
Hi Phil,
There was some discussion on types of airbrushes in the following thread that may help you:

I mentioned in a post in that thread that:
”I then researched and bought an Omni 4000, it’s a Thayer Chandler, double action, fixed cup, top feed. The 4000 changed my whole airbrushing control. I progressed to Vallejo Air paints and had even smoother coverage. I am still learning but it takes practice.”

Hope this helps.

Grex.jpg

I am in no way an expert in airbrushing however, I tried many different airbrushes in the past and really like the Grex pistol grip unit. Available with any needle combo you could ask for. I use mine with their compressor and IMHO it's the best.
Of course an airbrush is just like any other tool. It’s up to the end user to get the right mixture of paint, air pressure, spray pattern ,etc.

Last edited:
Hi Phil

I have been using this for years

Very easy to clean and maintain
Easy to disassemble and change with multiple needles
Both for the beginner and advanced user

My Trumpeter U 552 kit has sprayed with this

Harder & Steenbeck Evolution

download.jpg

Regards
Henk

Hi Phil,
There was some discussion on types of airbrushes in the following thread that may help you:

I mentioned in a post in that thread that:
”I then researched and bought an Omni 4000, it’s a Thayer Chandler, double action, fixed cup, top feed. The 4000 changed my whole airbrushing control. I progressed to Vallejo Air paints and had even smoother coverage. I am still learning but it takes practice.”

Hope this helps.
thank you Roger.
Hi Phil

View attachment 273606

Regards
Henk
Thank you Henk.

Hi Phil

View attachment 273606

Regards
Henk
All H & S airbrushes are super to use always, I have an INFINITY which came with 2 needles a 0.2MM and 0.4MM of which I am thoroughly satisfied, tried many on the market but H & S is the best. One problem though is their sales or marketing team who are useless when making an enquiry directly with them. I needed a set of seals (washers) and they referred me to a distributor " in your Country" they reply. We do not have a hobby shop in Kenya let alone a H & S dealer, in fact we cannot find any type of airbrushes here at all. The nearest hobby shop for us would be the UK (London). I recently needed some washers for my H & S airbrush and found a complete set at a online hobby shop for 10.00 pounds, only one last set available in stock, but they will not do business with Kenya they said and so they refused flatly. ( I have emails of such replies with me in my inbox ) I am still stuck............:( The INFINITY was bought through a friend in the UK and delivered to me after 4 months at the time. Since then my friend is no longer and I am still without seals for my airbrush. Anyone here from H & S who is reading this???? BTW H & S is a German Company.

Phil when you ask what is the better airbrush you get into the Chevy/Dodge/Ford realm. Everyone has their favorite.

My airbrushes are all Badger, made in USA. I'm happy with them and see no reason to change.

I have heard mostly good things about the other brands so I don't think you'd really go wrong. I'd definitely be wary of the knockoffs, they seem to be hit & miss on quality and results.

Glenn

There are several considerations on purchasing an Airbrush. For me the most important is the availability of replacement parts. Needles get broken seals go bad with normal usage. If you purchase an "off brand" copy of a Badger or Passche there is no guarantee that the parts are interchangeable. The second consideration is how the airbrush fits you hand. For me the Passche's larger handle is easer to control. Then there is the question of which type, a single action or a double action, the best choice is double action. Most plastic modelers prefer the Iwata air brushes and they are outstanding air brushes. What makes Iwata a such a good air brush is their ability to consistently paint fine lines less than 1 mm wide. I don't think this is needed for painting a wood ship model.

Then there is the compressor. Harbor Freight's airbrush compressor is a good choice. If you look at the compressors that are supplied by the various airbrush manufactures its the same compressor as Harbor Freight supplies. There are better compressors with lower noise and perhaps better regulators and large reservoirs but they are 2 to 3 times the cost of the Harbor fright unit.

Of the air brushes I have my favorite is the Passche VL I have had this one for over 20 years and its my go to airbrush. I also have a couple of Badgers and a Iwata.

I have and used several brands of airbrushes. As said above it can open a can of worms discussion as to which is best, as that can be determined by such things as cost, and quality and mostly by what is being sprayed, as in type of paint.

No matter what airbrush system you get, I suggest you look at Hobby Lobby, Micro Mark or other vendors for a small airbrush specific compressor.

Using cans of air to power a system get spotty results and expensive very fast. I have seen small compressors for about $100 US, and picking up at local hobby shop may cost a few $$ more, but saves on shipping unless you get one shipped free.

I have and used several brands of airbrushes. As said above it can open a can of worms discussion as to which is best, as that can be determined by such things as cost, and quality and mostly by what is being sprayed, as in type of paint.

No matter what airbrush system you get, I suggest you look at Hobby Lobby, Micro Mark or other vendors for a small airbrush specific compressor.

Using cans of air to power a system get spotty results and expensive very fast. I have seen small compressors for about $100 US, and picking up at local hobby shop may cost a few $$ more, but saves on shipping unless you get one shipped free.
I have a more-than-adequate compressor. With a great regulator and coalescing filter.

Well that solves one of the issues, not to decide what to get.

Might check out local hobby or craft store, or a sign shop in town, they may have a display model you can try out before you buy.

Well that solves one of the issues, not to decide what to get.

Might check out local hobby or craft store, or a sign shop in town, they may have a display model you can try out before you buy.
I saw some airbrushes at Hobby Lobby. I don't recall the brand. I think they have them at A hobby store here too. But there is always Amazon.

Philiski, Mikeyt here, adding my 2 cents again. As far as an air brush goes I've owned a Badger 200 for the last 40 yrs and I bought it second hand for 75$ then. It's a simple single action brush, set the amount of paint you want to spray, then pull the trigger for the air and your spray paintnig,just about that simple. I've owned and tried allkinds of single action and double action air brushes and I'm always comfortable with my 200, so it is my only go to airbrush. I've painted touch up on my vechiles ,to my camo gun stocks to small table tops to 1/96 scale models which is my favourite scale. I have pushed laquers, acrilics,oil based paints, and one of the toughest paints which is craft paints through it. I have the three interchangle tips which are F=fine, M=medium, L=large which will cover almost paint job you'll ever do in modeling. I've been using a Hyundia air compressor for my iar supply, because it only cost me a 150 bucks and came with a 5 gal air storage tank and easily fulfills my air needs from 20 PSI to 35 PSI which covers most air needs for an airbrush. Get one, you'll love it and no more brush marks.

I have a more-than-adequate compressor. With a great regulator and coalescing filter.
You bring up an excellent point with the coalescing filter-a reliable source of DRY, clean, regulated air is needed for any type of airbrush or paintgun. I have a medium sized compressor with a decent tank size. The best setup I've found is to set the regulator (with water knockout) at the compressor high, between 75psi and tank pressure; at least 25psi above the pressure needed at the airbrush. Then my 1/4" air hose to the area I use my airbrush. There I have a small regulator that I set for my airbrush. After that is an air filter/drier. You can get these at Harbor Freight for $3-5, they look like a small plastic sphere with 1/4" NPT (1 male and 1 female) fittings on either side. Then my airbrush hose is attached to the drier. This setup provides a more consistant pressure and the drier/filter provides cleaner air than the coalescing knockout by itself.

Glenn

Back