• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Airfix 1/72 Golden Hind (A09258V) In-Box Review

Joined
May 10, 2026
Messages
22
Points
48

I am about to begin my first sailing ship build, using the 1977 Airfix 1/72 Golden Hind kit as a starting point. If anyone is interested, I have posted an in-box review of this elderly kit on my blog site, Model Kit World:

https://modelkitworld49141446.wordp...olden-hind-a09258v-in-box-review-and-history/

I am very much a new boy in the world of model sailing ship building and I am still learning the vocabulary. If I have said anything downright stupid in the review, please do let me know!

Thanks for reading

Steve
 
Good day Steve!
Very good article You wrote about GH Airfix 1/72...
I have this kit as well, by my opinion it is very nice and accurate reconstruction /as common image of later 16th english galleon , very close to that Baker's famous drawing of elizabethian galleon...
 
Good day Steve!
Very good article You wrote about GH Airfix 1/72...
I have this kit as well, by my opinion it is very nice and accurate reconstruction /as common image of later 16th english galleon , very close to that Baker's famous drawing of elizabethian galleon...
I'm glad you enjoyed the article. I have started the build and I have discovered a couple of issues. At least some of the hatches on the decks should probablu be gratings and there are no ladders to provide access between the decks, which just can't be right. But in terms of overall shape and size of the hull and layout of the decks, it looks pretty close as far as I can tell...
 
Good day Steve,
One of the option, by my opinion, for the first model, we could just assemble and paint this model as it is( hull, decks and decks fittings) but rigging ,by my opinion, could be made more carefully and more complicated compare to this kits rigging plan...there is building report making by John, He is busy with the same kit now... and some of the kit issues were discused...https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/golden-hind-1-72-by-aifix-with-added-rigging-and-details.18253/
 
Back
Top