Airfix Seaslug launcher for the HMS Devonshire

Ok, I do not want to throw the Airfix rendition of the Seaslug launcher away, as I cannot replace it with the aftermarket parts that are available. Among many, many other things that contribute to the downside of living in South Africa - there is no services (i.e. Post Office) to get the products delivered at your home. Couriers are just too expensive.

Now, any ideas how I can spruce it up a bit, the launcher that is. It is also a very complex piece of equipment to schratchbuilt.

The scale of the model is 1:600, or?
So extremely hard to make in scratch

I found such a photoetched kit of the launcher

Screenshot 2024-01-24 113352.png

Detail set for the Airfix 1/600 scale HMS Devonshire kit.
Contains the parts to make the large 965 Double Bedstead Radar Antenna and the Sea Slug Missile Launcher. plus many more parts to liven up the old Airfix kit from the early 1960s
Price £12.25 plus Postage Now Available

I think, that postal service for an envelope can be relatively low - try to contact them

Yes a very complicated structure indeed, and I think way above my schratchbuilding paygrade. Nice picture of the Devon though.
I see your problem.
May I suggest....
all structures can be described with basic shapes; if you start with the big 'lumps', then progressively add the smaller lumps, using plastic.
The tubular structure could be built to a convincing state using plastic rod.
At this scale you can forget doing the same in wood.
In the end, your aim would be to 'fool the eye'.

I'm sorry, I thought it was the box style launcher. yeah, that would be tough to scratch, but if you are really dedicated, you can get some strip or rod styrene to build up the frame work. What you showed in your picture looks nothing like the real thing. And it appears to be in a very small scale!

I see your problem.
May I suggest....
all structures can be described with basic shapes; if you start with the big 'lumps', then progressively add the smaller lumps, using plastic.
The tubular structure could be built to a convincing state using plastic rod.
At this scale you can forget doing the same in wood.
In the end, your aim would be to 'fool the eye'.
Very good advice , thanks friend. Yes initially one is quite overwhelmed by the structure, as in experiencing an information overload. It is about stepping back from it, take a break and then unpack the structure into it's very basic shapes. And I do not think one need to go into too much detail, just enough to fool the eye as you see. Yes and see it as a seperate project and take one's time with it.

I'm sorry, I thought it was the box style launcher. yeah, that would be tough to scratch, but if you are really dedicated, you can get some strip or rod styrene to build up the frame work. What you showed in your picture looks nothing like the real thing. And it appears to be in a very small scale!
No problem. The scale is 1/600 yes, quite small.

The scale of the model is 1:600, or?
So extremely hard to make in scratch

I found such a photoetched kit of the launcher

View attachment 423365

Detail set for the Airfix 1/600 scale HMS Devonshire kit.
Contains the parts to make the large 965 Double Bedstead Radar Antenna and the Sea Slug Missile Launcher. plus many more parts to liven up the old Airfix kit from the early 1960s
Price £12.25 plus Postage Now Available

I think, that postal service for an envelope can be relatively low - try to contact them
Thanks for your message Uwek. I was aware of the Atlantic product, and wish I can have it. However my primary problem is, that I am in South Africa. That means, in short, I will order the item and it will be shipped from the supplier without any issues. Then it will arrive at the South African shores. From the depot where all mail/products are received, once cleared by customs (which can take up to three months!), there is no reliable service to get the item to me. That should be the job of our Post Office but their delivery services are non-existent at this stage. Parcels get lost at a very high rate, stolen or are just not delivered -100's of parcels and letters are often found to be dumped at dumping sites, into rivers, or just left at the side of a road.

Due to it's construction, it would be a large undertaking to make anything scratch, even if it was not so small. You could make a box shape out of wood and paint it white, then glue black thread on it in the shape of the frames of the launchers.

Due to it's construction, it would be a large undertaking to make anything scratch, even if it was not so small. You could make a box shape out of wood and paint it white, then glue black thread on it in the shape of the frames of the launchers.
I agree that it will be a large undertaking to make from schratch. I will see how I can simplify it without making it too simple. but, think I am stepping away from this model now for a while. The Wessex is also taking more time than I thought/hoped. But hey Rpme was not built in a day they say ...

Back