Alert 1777

Hi,

I checked my kit's contents and have found a couple of items I am unable to identify using the parts list. These items are shown in the photo below. In addition, there are 37 strips of wood, 4,3 x 1,8 x 45 mm long. Are these for the decks or to mount at the bottom of the hull?

The shape of the items in the board at the bottom of the photo would suggest components to make barrels, or so it seems.

Can someone throw light on these items?

Many thanks,
Trevor.Inventory check-unidentified parts.jpg

Last edited:
Hi the top two sheets are the 2x2mm for beams, the 2 pieces on right are the bowsprit, the middle two sheets are the sides for barrels, and bottom sheet is the frames for the barrel strips to fix to. Hope this makes sense regards Mark

Hi the top two sheets are the 2x2mm for beams, the 2 pieces on right are the bowsprit, the middle two sheets are the sides for barrels, and bottom sheet is the frames for the barrel strips to fix to. Hope this makes sense regards Mark
Hi, many thanks for your reply.
Am I correct in my assumption that the strips of wood are planks for the deck ?

Hi, many thanks for your reply.
Am I correct in my assumption that the strips of wood are planks for the deck ?
Hello Trevor,

2 x 2 mm strips (sheet) are for various cabin walls\bulwarks. You will use them as vertical studs. See the image below, all red arrows pointing to those studs as an example.

Cabin5_Edit.jpg

Hello Trevor,

2 x 2 mm strips (sheet) are for various cabin walls\bulwarks. You will use them as vertical studs. See the image below, all red arrows pointing to those studs as an example.

View attachment 245421
Thanks Jim. Trident forgot to list the strips in their manual along with the deadeyes and the anchors.
The kit also contains a brown coloured paper sheet with precut shapes. What is the purpose of this sweet?
Trevor.

Thanks Jim. Trident forgot to list the strips in their manual along with the deadeyes and the anchors.
The kit also contains a brown coloured paper sheet with precut shapes. What is the purpose of this sweet?
Trevor.
Trident didn't forget, though. The internal structure 'cabins' was given to SOS members as a bonus (gift). Therefore the instructions for those cabins didn't include in the main manual to avoid conflicts with consumers. Trident uploaded a dedicated manual for internal structure (cabins) where all parts listed and detailed images were provided. The image above from this manual (without the red arrows).

The brown paper has templates stickers you will need to shape the bow cant frames and Stern fashion pieces. For each of the frames, you will use 2 stickers (for each side). The shaded area will require to shape on both sides so the frame will fit in its own position.

I strongly suggest browsing our build logs. We have dedicated posts to those templates discussing their purpose and use it. Here are images from my build log:

600_0719.jpg
600_0720.jpg
600_0723.jpg 600_0730.jpg

Hope you will have a better idea now...

Hello Trevor,

View attachment 245421
Jim,

I meant the 37 strips of wood, 4,3 x 1,8 x 45 mm long in the kit. I looked at Uwe's unboxing thread and these strips didn't appear there.
The anchors and the deadeyes are not cabin parts, so really Trident should have listed them on the inventory. Never mind, though. The main thing is they are not missing in the kit.

Trevor

Trident didn't forget, though. The internal structure 'cabins' was given to SOS members as a bonus (gift). Therefore the instructions for those cabins didn't include in the main manual to avoid conflicts with consumers. Trident uploaded a dedicated manual for internal structure (cabins) where all parts listed and detailed images were provided. The image above from this manual (without the red arrows).

The brown paper has templates stickers you will need to shape the bow cant frames and Stern fashion pieces. For each of the frames, you will use 2 stickers (for each side). The shaded area will require to shape on both sides so the frame will fit in its own position.

I strongly suggest browsing our build logs. We have dedicated posts to those templates discussing their purpose and use it. Here are images from my build log:

View attachment 245423
View attachment 245424
View attachment 245425 View attachment 245426

Hope you will have a better idea now...
Thanks Jim.
Now I have an idea of what the cut-outs are for.
Trevor.

The strips are for the partial decks that the cabins sit on & cannons. They are not part of the comerical kit, but part of the gift to members. It is up to you how you use them. I used them for a half floor on the lower decks, but did not for top deck as I wanted the ability to see more inside.

Hi Trevor,
Why not buy the book Anatomy of the ship series, The Naval Cutter Alert 1777. Peter Goodwin. Conway Maritima Press. 2003.
It is probably out of print but an internet serch should bag you a copy.
It is filled with construction drawings of the actual ship, Sheer, Profile and Half bredth plan.
All fittings are shown and beautifully drawn.
Better to have too much information than none.
Good luck

Hi Trevor,
Why not buy the book Anatomy of the ship series, The Naval Cutter Alert 1777. Peter Goodwin. Conway Maritima Press. 2003.
It is filled with construction drawings of the actual ship, Sheer, Profile and Half bredth plan.
Good luck
Hi Geoff, I agree with you on Peter's book. It should be a great reference for the kit build. BTW, the kit was designed based on this book.
However, lately, the price for this book went sky-rocket (thanks to SOS and Trident Alert kit). if you can acquire this book for under $100.00 you will be the lucky one. I've seen $700.00 for the copy...Hmm...I am wondering if there is anyone willing to pay such a price?

Hi Trevor,
Good luck
Hi Geoff,
The first thing I did after ordering the kit was to search on the internet for the very book you mentioned and was fortunate to find a copy in Sweden. As the book seller was very near where we spent our holidays there, I travelled over and picked it up directly from him. The book is in a very good condition and cost me the princely sum of 60 Euros ( ca. 58 GBP)
I look forward to referring to it as a guide and as an aid during the build of my Alert.

Trevor.

The AOTS is good for the cabin work, but the kit instructions are more than enough for the build. Given the ridiculous priceing due to the mimber of kit versions around and the lockdowns working with the group and having a log is the best way forward.

I have an photo copy of the book images ( from the local library) and I used it very little if any for the build.
However I was also one of th first to do the kit from no logs. I had only the manual & photos from this site of the chinese build( which was a great ref.).

Hi Geoff, I agree with you on Peter's book. It should be a great reference for the kit build. BTW, the kit was designed based on this book.
However, lately, the price for this book went sky-rocket (thanks to SOS and Trident Alert kit). if you can acquire this book for under $100.00 you will be the lucky one. I've seen $700.00 for the copy...Hmm...I am wondering if there is anyone willing to pay such a price?
Hi Jimsky,
I have just checked this site and most of this book was downloaded to it by Uwek on 05/21/2019. Please look at it and download it all builders of HM Cutter Alert 1777.
No need to spend loads of money it's here.
Geoff

No need to spend loads of money it's here.
Geoff
Hello. Geoff.
Internet is full of free content to download at our disposal. However, some of the books and other materials are, in fact, copyright infringement and illegal. The book of Peter Goodman's Alert, as well as other AOTS series books, was never published in digital format of any kind, therefore considered illegal\copyright copies. We should respect authors and their hard work. :cool:

SOS will not allow links to such illegal publication copies. Such links will be subject to immediate deletion, without prior notice to the poster.

Back