ALIEXPRESS

I forgot to mention that ALIEXPRESS has the HMS Victory kit for $48.00 AU, I do not know if it another cheap Chinese kit or not, if anyone has purchased this kit from them let everyone know if it is any good.

Agree, there would be no instructions and poor quality materials. Better for you spend a few more dollars and go with a reputable company.
Agree, there would be no instructions and poor quality materials. Better for you spend a few more dollars and go with a reputable company.
Yes Bryian, I will finish the Halcon schooner first then decide what to build next, if this cheap Chinese thing turns out alright. Thank you for the advice.

If an offer is too cheap or much much cheaper than similar products, it is by 99,99% a very bad quality behind.
And this is valid all over the world, in China, but also US or Europe or anywhere.

A good quality kit will cost some money, so it is better to save some money over the time and to invest it in better quality.
At the end the modeler can enjoy the work on the model much more, otherwise you will get angry with every single part you take into the hands - and the result at the end is also questionable..... my personal and private opinion

Hello everybody. Sometime ago I was in the market for either the ZHL Soleil Royale or the AliExpress version which was supposed to be the same kit. The price difference was very considerable and unbelievable. I wrote to the company to ask if this is the actual price or is this a mistake. There was no response directly to me, but the price jumped. I went with a reputable company and obtained an excellent kit.

Below is a list of foreign companies that build knock-off models from legitimate companies. Most are Chinese, but also some from Russia and other countries. The list was generated and published by Nautical Research Assoc. I published it in the September 2019 issue of the Rocky Mountain Shipwright's newsletter. Snap 2022-06-11 at 16.05.43.png

Below is a list of foreign companies that build knock-off models from legitimate companies. Most are Chinese, but also some from Russia and other countries. The list was generated and published by Nautical Research Assoc. I published it in the September 2019 issue of the Rocky Mountain Shipwright's newsletter. View attachment 313386
Thank you, Martin.
Let the modeler make a decision to call foreign kits a knock-off. We have a great forum section here on SOS called: Kit's review. Members make a review, trying to give an objective opinion for a particular kit they reviewing. We have a lot of reviews!!!
Personally, I am not familiar with some of the kits manufacturers listed in the newsletter from 2019 (today is 2022), but I can assure you and the Rocky Mountain club, that CAF Model's - Granado, LeCoureier, as well as YQ's - Bluenose, are the highest quality kits and are very popular among modelers across the world. On SOS, those kits' popularity leads us to make dedicated Group Builds, and the groups are nothing but success! You can ask our members! How can you call their kits a knock-off? How can you call knock-off kits by Master Korabel (made in Russia)? They are top-of-the-line kits, with premium materials on the market today.

Have you checked recently our group builds?

Or maybe this Russian manufacturer Piroscaf made a knock-off kit?

Please check and judge by yourself.

I forgot to mention that ALIEXPRESS has the HMS Victory kit for $48.00 AU, I do not know if it another cheap Chinese kit or not, if anyone has purchased this kit from them let everyone know if it is any good.
At 1:200 scale its going to have a lot of very small, delicate parts and need skill to build a vessel this small (albeit 500mm long blocks, deadeyes, cleats etc are going to be tiny and rigging for those with very good eyesight. I notice the 1:96 scale one on Aliexpress is AUD$875 which is a great price for those who can't afford the more traditional kit providers versions.

Terence building the victory at present yes read your concern about victory for $48 had a look at it myself to good to be true but have a look at some of the model tools bought a few price are very good only bad thing have to wait a couple of weeks for delivery

I believe one of our members built a model from the same or similar kit. All parts are plywood laser cut...Personally, I wouldn't recommend buying this kit. You will not be able to build a decent model from it. But hey... if you really want...who can say NO? :cool:

shotty workmanship and materials really some of these kits out of China are state of the art and far superior to any others.
ZHL is on the list and they are a retail outlet of a number of kits and not a manufacture of pirated kits
i would not take the word of the Nautical Research Guild and their partner Keep it Real. They have on their black list companies like the Lumberyard for model shipwrights and Dry Dock Models that do not even make pirated kits.
Information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular cause or point of view:
just propaganda.
It's your money, your hobby you decide

Last edited:
Have to jump in here. When I was looking for a kit of the Bonhomme Richard awhile ago I found 2 sources, both I believe out of China. The one from AliExpress was a few hundred dollars less than ZHL. I’m not picking sides here. It boiled down to what else? The cost. I ordered the cherry version. The seller got back to me advising that he was out of the cherry version and would I accept the higher costing pear version at no extra charge.
My purchase arrived about 2 weeks later and I’ve never regretted the decision I made. The quality is outstanding. This kit is not for the faint of heart: no English instructions.
The seller responded to a few questions I had very quickly. Most helpful.

AND THERE ARE MORE COMING FROM CHINA A STATE REPEAT STATE OF THE ART KIT NOTHING LIKE IT ALSO UKRAINE GO GUYS SOMETHIG COMING FROM THERE PAVEL ALSO KRIS SUZINICK POLAND HAS SOME TERIFFIC IDEAS THERE. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Back