Amati 1:64 H.M.S. Victory - any idea when it will become available? This one is going to be HUGE.

It's because most kit buyer are not all that discriminatingly when it comes to historical accuracy. It takes a LOT of research before you know all the things to look for, if accuracy is one of your criteria. There are few kits that measure up. You would think something as well documented as Victory would result in more accuracy in kits in general, especially when the ship still exists.
But in this case the OcCre model at over £1,000, has had no care taken in detail at all.

But in this case the OcCre model at over £1,000, has had no care taken in detail at all.

I don't think it to be that bad. Of course, they would have placed some effort into this one before releasing it. I applaud them for releasing something different. One man's junk is another man's treasure I guess.

I don't think it to be that bad. Of course, they would have placed some effort into this one before releasing it. I applaud them for releasing something different. One man's junk is another man's treasure I guess.
Agreed. It's not a horrendous kit, just not up to par for the price. It can be added to like any kit.

Few modelers have the skill and patience required to build the most historically accurate version of any ship if truth be told. Unless you are an expert or professional-level modeler you are wasting your money in my opinion on the Caldercraft version. So what if a kit isn't truly accurate? All manufacturers market their interpretation of any given ship. I would rather flub up a less accurate model and make it my own than sob over having flubbed up a beast like the Caldercraft Victory. I refuse to, as they say, "trip over the flowers in the carpet" and drive myself crazy with being fully accurate. I want to enjoy myself. This hobby is about the therapy that working with wood gives me, exercising my brain, and developing skills. Enjoying the finished project is fine but not the reason why I practice ship modeling. We are all different when it comes to what is an acceptable level of accuracy. One thing is clear however, we all agree that this hobby and this forum generates an immeasurable amount of calm in this crazy world. This hobby and this place have in fact brought one of my friends back from the edge and I expect that it may have saved others as well.

Happy Thanksgiving to my American friends!

Reg :)
Merci pour cette interprétation du modélisme
J'y adhère totalement
C'est pour moi un plaisir
et un passe-temps qui me permet d'oublierle quotidien
Marco

Thank you for this interpretation of the model.
I totally agree with it
It's a pleasure for me
and a hobby that allows me to forget everyday life
Marco

Merci pour cette interprétation du modélisme
J'y adhère totalement
C'est pour moi un plaisir
et un passe-temps qui me permet d'oublierle quotidien
Marco

Thank you for this interpretation of the model.
I totally agree with it
It's a pleasure for me
and a hobby that allows me to forget everyday life
Marco

Bonjour Marco!

Merci beaucoup pour votre gentillesse, c’est très apprécié.

Je vous souhaite une bonne journée!

Hello Marco,

Thank you for your kindness, it is truly appreciated.

Have a great day!

Few modelers have the skill and patience required to build the most historically accurate version of any ship if truth be told. Unless you are an expert or professional-level modeler you are wasting your money in my opinion on the Caldercraft version. So what if a kit isn't truly accurate? All manufacturers market their interpretation of any given ship. I would rather flub up a less accurate model and make it my own than sob over having flubbed up a beast like the Caldercraft Victory. I refuse to, as they say, "trip over the flowers in the carpet" and drive myself crazy with being fully accurate. I want to enjoy myself. This hobby is about the therapy that working with wood gives me, exercising my brain, and developing skills. Enjoying the finished project is fine but not the reason why I practice ship modeling. We are all different when it comes to what is an acceptable level of accuracy. One thing is clear however, we all agree that this hobby and this forum generates an immeasurable amount of calm in this crazy world. This hobby and this place have in fact brought one of my friends back from the edge and I expect that it may have saved others as well.

Happy Thanksgiving to my American friends!

Reg, You are missing my point. historical accuracy to a degree should be part and parcel of any 'kit'. For a company such as OcCre to produce a large scale and high end price kit, you would expect the minimum for it to be atleast the correct shape and scale and NOT to have trimmings that doesn't exist. You don't need to be an expert to realise the model is not a likeness of the Victory. It is being sold as the ultimate model, but it is not.

Reg, You are missing my point. historical accuracy to a degree should be part and parcel of any 'kit'. For a company such as OcCre to produce a large scale and high end price kit, you would expect the minimum for it to be atleast the correct shape and scale and NOT to have trimmings that doesn't exist. You don't need to be an expert to realise the model is not a likeness of the Victory. It is being sold as the ultimate model, but it is not.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate the healthy discourse. I think that it looks like the Victory however imperfect.

Enjoy your day!

Reg

Back