Amati Stripwood Guillotine.

If these work ok on hard materials like walnut veneer I could see one being useful to me. Does anybody have an opinion to share on this tool?

I have one, but I don't really like it. It's plastic, doesn't feel sturdy and it's difficult to get a precise angle. I've tried to cut a strip of birch, ca: 7x1,5mm and I'm afraid I'll break it if I press hard enough to cut through. Walnut is of course a bit softer but .........

20240405_201343.jpg

I have a razor chopper from Micro-Mark and have learned how to make very precise cuts on small parts using it. It is very sturdy. The metal arm and well-fitted hinge make it precise. It came in handy when cutting sheet hardwood into custom cannon carriage parts, and is great for cutting plank veneer strips to consistent lengths. LINK

1712346078483.png

Here's one that I've been looking at. It's shown on YouTube and looks a lot sturdier than my Amati:

Last edited:
I have one, but I don't really like it. It's plastic, doesn't feel sturdy and it's difficult to get a precise angle. I've tried to cut a strip of birch, ca: 7x1,5mm and I'm afraid I'll break it if I press hard enough to cut through. Walnut is of course a bit softer but .........

View attachment 440115
I agree with Krister. I have one of these Amati cutter and don't like it. One of the drawback I see is the lack of precision in terms of angle.
I am now using a tool from Ultimation: the slicer and I have to say that I am super happy with it. See here for more details, including demo video.

The Ultimation does indeed look like a proper tool. Unfortunately the sticker price would need to include a divorce.

I found the answer to my problem. A vintage Emgee brand all-metal paper guillotine, probably 50 years old, but clean and obviously spent most of it's life in storage as it is razor-sharp. Cuts pear, holly, and hornbeam veneer both along and across the grain perfectly down to around 1,5mm wide cross-grain and 1 mm along the grain. Cost me around $ 30 on Ebay. I need to devise a length-stop, but that should be relatively simple.

I found the answer to my problem. A vintage Emgee brand all-metal paper guillotine, probably 50 years old, but clean and obviously spent most of it's life in storage as it is razor-sharp. Cuts pear, holly, and hornbeam veneer both along and across the grain perfectly down to around 1,5mm wide cross-grain and 1 mm along the grain. Cost me around $ 30 on Ebay. I need to devise a length-stop, but that should be relatively simple.
Maybe you can show us your new / old tool with a photo? Sounds interesting

Happy to do so, just need to work out how.
You can easily add a photo in your post via the button "Attach Files" at the bootom left side when you write a post.
So "Attach files" before you press "Post reply"

Yep! Agree. It’s very flimsy and not very accurate. I, personally think I could design something so basic and simple with their finances and resources.
Works but don’t expect miracles.

Well, you get a good one (which means an old metal one I suspect) and it will do most of what you might need a far as veneer goes. As for age, I am 10 years ahead of you - but hope that old age and cunning might offer solutions to the loss of delicacy of touch and good eyesight I used to have. I am currently adapting some old methods of PoF to see how I cope.

Back