An early success

Clan Alpine - 25 feet to 1 inch - 1/300
This is an early success. Shortly after the Falls of Halladale disaster, this was entered in the Christie's sale, London, where it was valued at £200 - £300. It sold for £550! It only took a fraction of the time to build than that expended on the Falls of Halladale!Clan Alpine (Large).jpg

True, true.

My experience with PC users was about the same. The users were desperate to get their unit fixed but not so quick to pay for the hours required to make the fix.

I found contract work paid much better.

Jan

For most of us the success is given, when the building of the model is enjoying or we learn a new building method etc......
and the failure is something on the model, which is not executed well.
And I guess, that you also enjoyed the building of the model, which you named "failure"
A hobby should make fun - otherwise it is not a hobby

Although I enjoy building them, the greatest satisfaction for me is when they sell to appreciative collectors. I know I am regarded as mercenary in this respect, but it is considered quite honourable to work for a living in a "real" job, but a majority of model builders, on the other hand, would never dream of selling anything, and even frown on the practice of selling them! In the past, I have gave quite a lot away, but after seeing a few turn up for sale in various galleries or auction houses, I discontinued the practice. I no longer take private commissions, no matter how much money is offered to me. I build for pleasure, and I build far more than most, so I have to sell them, as we have no room to store them up. But if collectors stopped buying them, I would stop building them. Is it so unreasonable to want a hobby that is self-financing?
Bob

Last edited:
Be able to sold your model is a kind of reconnaissance of your craftsmanship that all.
And be able to sold them good for you!
For me as I admire your work any model you build is a success no failure there as I can’t do what you do. :cool:

Back