Anatomy of a Container Ship

Very nice video. Thanks for posting Korsan.
Having seen the cargo ship that hit the Baltimore bridge, it appeared over laiden to me, but now I realize this is very common.
Thanks
Michael

Great video. I used to sail merchant ships, but they were older, with general cargo in the holds, and carried containers only on deck.
I am sure that each ship had its own character.the container ships nowadays ammmmmre only huge and look all the same like the most built cars today.
Nice weekend
PS Last week i fininished final sanding of the La Couronne’s hull.I am not sure to add a different colored waterline section or leave the hull like it is now

IMG_5914.jpeg

I am sure that each ship had its own character.the container ships nowadays ammmmmre only huge and look all the same like the most built cars today.
Nice weekend
PS Last week i fininished final sanding of the La Couronne’s hull.I am not sure to add a different colored waterline section or leave the hull like it is now

View attachment 438364
I left my hull the mahogany wood color, but the ship should really have a white bottom.

Intermodal transportation is one of the great innovations of the last half-century. American businessman and innovator Malcom Maclean 1913-2001 of SeaLand Corp came up with the idea of standardized containers that could be carried by ship, train, and truck. They are now ubiquitous. In th eclassic film, "On the Waterfront." You can see how cargo was handled by enormous gangs of laborers. Now, men in high cranes and load and unload in hours what once took days. There's a crazy Spanish dystopian film "Nowhere" showing a woman surviving in one alone for 26 days. There is a fleet of 1300 by 200 ft ships that can load 24000 standard containers. "TEU" "Twenty foot equivalent." Or two per 40 ft standard trailer. One ship + 12000 trailer trucks. In the US a train car can carry two 40 ft or four 20 ft containers ( four TEU per rail car.)

Back