Ancient Chinese Temple 1:75 - CAF Models

Thank you Ekis - it really is a marvelous piece of design and engineering. In hindsight I wish I had decided to paint it before I started building but I am fairly happy with it as it is and I will definitely do another as I have always liked Chinese/Japanese architecture. I have made inquiries about another kit from CAF models but have received no details other than price so have ordered a 5 floor pagoda by Woody Joe - https://japan-wooden-model-kits-zoo...-Japanese-Temple-Model-Kits-by-Woody-JOE.html - which came a few days ago. I may do a build log on that as well as I cannot find any anywhere on the internet.

Pat, of course : you absolutely have to show us HERE your next construction with the Woody Joe kit !
I really love all the WJ kits : boats, temples, castles, etc...
If I could, I would order the whole catalog !! ROTF

You've convinced me - I will. I have only browsed through the WJ kit and started the translation of the manual but have to say, the quality of the timber is excellent - very different from the CAF model but I am happy with that as I like "different". As for buying the full range - I'm thinking we would have to sell the house and a couple of kidneys to afford the entire range.

Are the illustrations enough to build the model without any knowledge if Chinese? I built a Woody Joe model and the illustrations in the manual were so good that no knowledge of Japanese were necessary

Are the illustrations enough to build the model without any knowledge if Chinese? I built a Woody Joe model and the illustrations in the manual were so good that no knowledge of Japanese were necessary
The manual is superb - I posted a couple photos from the manual early on in this build log, though I didnt want tp post too many for fear of copyright infringement - (those are words I never thought I would type when discussing a Chinese kit) - the photos are so easy to follow - everything is numbered and fits together real well - I have a WJ manual for the 5 floored Pagoda and it is nothing like the quality of the CAF kit/manual.
PS, My knowledge of Chinese is limited to ordering Sweet & Sour Chicken with Chow Mein

Last edited:
And so the build continues - I have made fairly good progress on the 2nd floor/roof structure - all the pillars lined up nicely and construction of the roof and its components are moving ahead - this part has been a little challenging in that the photo instructions are getting more and more complex and my eyesight is getting less effective - but a bit of time out to study the pictures and some common sense proved enough to get the result that was intended
IMG_0707.JPGIMG_0708.JPGIMG_0709.JPGIMG_0710.JPGIMG_0711.JPGIMG_0712.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0713.JPG
    IMG_0713.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 6
The roof structure is coming along - it is extremely complex but the clear photographs in the manual are very helpful - it appears to me that this model is built very closely along the same methods as the original. I remember reading somewhere that they never used nails in thier early construction - everything was joined together with some very complicated joints. I can only wonder at the skill of those early carpenters.IMG_0726.JPGIMG_0727.JPGIMG_0728.JPGIMG_0729.JPGIMG_0730.JPGIMG_0731.JPGIMG_0732.JPGIMG_0733.JPG

The roof structure after about 40 hours of building - it's getting increasingly difficult to follow the plans as it's all getting very "busy" in such a confined space and some of the pieces are ridiculously small & fragile - but with patience, a magnifying glass and a steady hand - (none of which I have) I somehow got there.IMG_0738.JPGIMG_0739.JPGIMG_0740.JPGIMG_0741.JPGIMG_0742.JPGIMG_0743.JPGIMG_0744.JPGIMG_0745.JPGIMG_0746.JPGIMG_0747.JPGIMG_0748.JPGIMG_0749.JPGIMG_0750.JPGIMG_0751.JPG

A quick question.

If you didn't rely on Google translate, just had the manual in chinese characters, plus the manual's pictures, the engraved part numbers; is the temple doable ?

Richard

A quick question.

If you didn't rely on Google translate, just had the manual in chinese characters, plus the manual's pictures, the engraved part numbers; is the temple doable ?

Hi Richard,
Yes, absolutely you could build this by just following the pictures in the manual - just as you could with most model ship builds. There are a couple of instructions in BOLD print but they are fairly obvious - for example - to ensure the pillars are exactly upright, and if you have to force a panel or beam into place, then it needs more sanding, but anyone who has built even a sand castle would surely know that.
When all is said & done - I have found nothing so far that I either didnt understand or that I couldn't do - simply by studying the manual and thinking ahead.

Looking very impressive Pat. The amount of detail is outstanding. I am not ready to start my smaller Kaiyuan Temple model but am thinking of ways that I can further improve the look of these models. I am thinking of batch staining components with wood stains and coloured artist inks to get closer to the original colours of the temple. There will be plenty of scrap wood to experiment on. Perhaps also paving floors and adding wall paper to interiors. Will increase build time significantly but I believe these kits have great scope for enhancement. I also agree that the Chinese instructions and diagrams should present few problems for most builders

Last edited:
Mind blown!!! As a fabricator, I can tell you at least 1,000 man-hours had to go into the design of this superb model!!
I know I'm starting to sound like a sales rep for the company but I can't tell you enough just how incredible this kit is. As you say, the design alone must have taken many, many man hours - even with CAD etc - the detail is staggering and the quality of the materials, along with the excellent manual - which itself is almost a work of art has completely blown me away.

Looking very impressive Pat. The amount of detail is outstanding. I am not ready to start my smaller Kaiyuan Temple model but am thinking of ways that I can further improve the look of these models. I am thinking of batch staining components with wood stains and coloured artist inks to get closer to the original colours of the temple. There will be plenty of scrap wood to experiment on. Perhaps also paving floors and adding wall paper to interiors. Will increase build time significantly but I believe these kits have great scope for enhancement. I also agree that the Chinese instructions and diagrams should present few problems for most builders
On refelction, and as I said earlier, I wish now that I had decided to make enhancements to this one - impressive as it is I think with the right colouring and some floor paving etc it could have been lifted to another level. The model is designed is such a way that parts can be lifted off so the interior can be viewed - or panels removed so you can see right through the building - even partly tile the roof so all the beams and supports are visible. I must admit I am tempted to nuy the kit again and do an enhanced version.
I do hope you will start yours soon as I would really like to see how it comes out.

With the actual structural works completed it is time for the roof coverings. First the 4mm main beams are installed - scaled up these would be 300mm or 12" thick and would have taken an awful lot of weight, though the way they are installed means that weight is distributed over large areas.IMG_0756.JPGIMG_0761.JPGIMG_0762.JPGIMG_0766.JPGIMG_0767.JPGIMG_0768.JPGIMG_0770.JPGIMG_0771.JPGIMG_0772.JPGIMG_0773.JPGIMG_0774.JPGIMG_0777.JPG

Finally all the beams were cut, shaped and glued in place - all the while I had to keep testing the fit to the main body to check for warping - there was none but it is always worth checking.
It was now time to start cutting the supports for tiles - these are 2mm rods cut to various lengths and form that beautiful distinctive curve that is so synonymous with ancient oriental buildings IMG_0778.JPGIMG_0779.JPGIMG_0780.JPGIMG_0781.JPGIMG_0782.JPGIMG_0783.JPGIMG_0784.JPGIMG_0785.JPGIMG_0786.JPGIMG_0787.JPGIMG_0788.JPGIMG_0790.JPGIMG_0791.JPGIMG_0792.JPG

Back