Ancient Chinese Temple 1:75 - CAF Models

I have built many model ships over the years but fancied something a little different and a while ago stumbled on the CAF Model website - after staring in awe at some of the wonderful boat kits I noticed the Ancient Chinese Temple kit and immediately knew that this was something I wanted to try. It was different, it looked challenging and was about the same price as most boat kits I am used to. So I ordered it and, a few weeks later, it arrived by courier from China to my workshop - thanks to Tom at CAF for the info & assist. The following is my build log of this wonderful kit - I hope it is of interest to anyone who just fancies a break from our great hobby and is looking for something that little bit different.

The parcel arrived well wrapped though clearly beaten up by TNT/Fed Ex (I understand they are the same company now) but looked intact so no probs. Inside was a nice box with a photo of what I had bought with a few pictures of other temples on the back. All OK so far:
Inside the first thing I found was a large A3 size glossy manual with step by step construction photos and a great wad of ply sheets of varying thickness with literally thousands of finely detailed laser cut parts. After picking my jaw up off the floor I counted 18 sheets of ply then sat back and wondered just what had I done - this thing was AMAZING!!

I literally couldn't wait to start but I also knew this was gonna be a real challenge so slowly slowly....first things first - lets have a look at the impressive manual - and I must admit here that I have long been a fan of (most) chinese kits but have despaired over the crappy manuals that usually accompany them - but this thing is very different - real quality, probably comparable to the best I've seen from the likes of Victory Models Revenge and some of the Occre kits. Here a few examples of what I mean though the eagle eyed of you will notice that everything is in Chinese - a real problem until my son told me about Google Translate for my smart phone (simply amazing technology!) so I spent a few days translating all the instructions into a proper language.
View attachment 160200View attachment 160201View attachment 160202View attachment 160204View attachment 160205View attachment 160206View attachment 160207View attachment 160208View attachment 160209View attachment 160210View attachment 160211!
Hallo @Pat Pending ,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your special day
Birthday-Cake
How is the status of this amazing project? Do you have any updates..... would be great to see some progress on this interesting kit

Thank you Ekis - it really is a marvelous piece of design and engineering. In hindsight I wish I had decided to paint it before I started building but I am fairly happy with it as it is and I will definitely do another as I have always liked Chinese/Japanese architecture. I have made inquiries about another kit from CAF models but have received no details other than price so have ordered a 5 floor pagoda by Woody Joe - https://japan-wooden-model-kits-zoo...-Japanese-Temple-Model-Kits-by-Woody-JOE.html - which came a few days ago. I may do a build log on that as well as I cannot find any anywhere on the internet.
Hi Pat, How nice to see someone also building a temple! It looks great and I admire your work. I was attended to your work on a Dutch forum and I just registered as a member of Ships of Scale to see what you are doing.
I have started some weeks ago on a Woody Joe model, the Byodoin Phoenix Hall temple and I have begun to have it painted like the original in Kyoto. Maybe I will post my work here also on the forum. Here is a picture of where I am now. 26D1B482-26DC-4DFE-BA10-725DE7EF18AA_1_201_a.jpeg

I have started with the two wings to get some experience before I do the Central Hall. I also plan to make the pond and the sandy beach with the lantern and of course the Buddha statue in the Central Hall. But I'll stop here keep your topic clean.
This is the link to my topic on the Dutch forum: https://www.modelbouwforum.nl/threads/japanse-tempel-byodoin-hououdo-kyoto-foenix-hall.274119/

Gijsbert

Hi Pat, How nice to see someone also building a temple! It looks great and I admire your work. I was attended to your work on a Dutch forum and I just registered as a member of Ships of Scale to see what you are doing.
I have started some weeks ago on a Woody Joe model, the Byodoin Phoenix Hall temple and I have begun to have it painted like the original in Kyoto. Maybe I will post my work here also on the forum. Here is a picture of where I am now. View attachment 189431

I have started with the two wings to get some experience before I do the Central Hall. I also plan to make the pond and the sandy beach with the lantern and of course the Buddha statue in the Central Hall. But I'll stop here keep your topic clean.
This is the link to my topic on the Dutch forum: https://www.modelbouwforum.nl/threads/japanse-tempel-byodoin-hououdo-kyoto-foenix-hall.274119/

Gijsbert
Hallo Gijsbert,
good that you have found already this area.
It would be very good and interesting, if you would start also a building log of your temple - these are very interesting projects

Hi Uwek, sure these projects are unique and challenging. I was thinking of starting a blog here indeed. Here I can communicate in English, which is easier than on the Dutch forum for Non-Dutch people, hahaha.

Gijsbert

Have just discovered this build and am overwhelmed, fabulous I just want to have one and build it. I unfortunately know my limitations but then it is so appealing I might anyway. Have only looked at the first page but will now check the rest.

I have built many model ships over the years but fancied something a little different and a while ago stumbled on the CAF Model website - after staring in awe at some of the wonderful boat kits I noticed the Ancient Chinese Temple kit and immediately knew that this was something I wanted to try. It was different, it looked challenging and was about the same price as most boat kits I am used to. So I ordered it and, a few weeks later, it arrived by courier from China to my workshop - thanks to Tom at CAF for the info & assist. The following is my build log of this wonderful kit - I hope it is of interest to anyone who just fancies a break from our great hobby and is looking for something that little bit different.

The parcel arrived well wrapped though clearly beaten up by TNT/Fed Ex (I understand they are the same company now) but looked intact so no probs. Inside was a nice box with a photo of what I had bought with a few pictures of other temples on the back. All OK so far:
Inside the first thing I found was a large A3 size glossy manual with step by step construction photos and a great wad of ply sheets of varying thickness with literally thousands of finely detailed laser cut parts. After picking my jaw up off the floor I counted 18 sheets of ply then sat back and wondered just what had I done - this thing was AMAZING!!

I literally couldn't wait to start but I also knew this was gonna be a real challenge so slowly slowly....first things first - lets have a look at the impressive manual - and I must admit here that I have long been a fan of (most) chinese kits but have despaired over the crappy manuals that usually accompany them - but this thing is very different - real quality, probably comparable to the best I've seen from the likes of Victory Models Revenge and some of the Occre kits. Here a few examples of what I mean though the eagle eyed of you will notice that everything is in Chinese - a real problem until my son told me about Google Translate for my smart phone (simply amazing technology!) so I spent a few days translating all the instructions into a proper language.
View attachment 160200View attachment 160201View attachment 160202View attachment 160204View attachment 160205View attachment 160206View attachment 160207View attachment 160208View attachment 160209View attachment 160210View attachment 160211!
Hallo @Pat Pending
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
What is your actual project you are working on?

Back