Another Cutty Sark rigging question

Rigging a old Revell 1:96 Cutty Sark, sat in a cupboard since 1978 from what I was told. Missing a few parts and the parts that are there have been separated from the sprue, real guessing game!
Question on the lifts for the lower yards, The Revell rigging diagram shows the lifts from the yard ends running through blocks on the mast cap then down to belaying pins at the foot of the mast. Would need to be supermen to raise the yard, 1 to 1 purchase.
Found a diagram that shows one lift (port side) running through two double blocks to give a 4 to one purchase, but the other side still one to one.
With the rigging I have done in real life that does not make sense to me, surely there has to be the same 4 to one purchase on both sides? Thinking starboard side missing for clarity or a mistake.
Cutty Sark 1-75 2A.jpg

I am so glad I have the opportunity to answer a question that no one has responded to. Somewhere in your instructions it must have been for clarity only. My USS Connie has the same lifts and are duplicated on both sides. You must duplicate both sides.

I am so glad I have the opportunity to answer a question that no one has responded to. Somewhere in your instructions it must have been for clarity only. My USS Connie has the same lifts and are duplicated on both sides. You must duplicate both sides.
Thanks for the clarification.
The Revel instruction sheet don't show pulley blocks on those lift lines at all, except at the lower mast head to redirect the lines down, direct to belaying pins at the foot of the mast.
The attached diagram I found on the web with nothing said about duplicating both sides.
Thought I would put the question out there in case there was something I was missing.

Last edited:
The lifts didn't need more than 1:1 purchase, since they only served to "tilt" the yards from the horizontal position. For raising and lowering the yards up and down the masts, the jeers (lower yards) and halliards (top and topgallant yards) were used.

Ted

When I did the research on the Cutty Sark’s ragging, I was surprised that the masts were steel pipe and the standing rigging was wire rope e.g. steel cable. As a result, I set up my shop to make the cable from very fine brass wire using 3 wires which I anchored at one end of the shop, roughly 8’ away I soldered the 3 wires together, chucked the piece into my Dremel and very carefully twisted the wires to form cable. Just a very simplified version of a rope walk.

When I did the research on the Cutty Sark’s ragging, I was surprised that the masts were steel pipe and the standing rigging was wire rope e.g. steel cable. As a result, I set up my shop to make the cable from very fine brass wire using 3 wires which I anchored at one end of the shop, roughly 8’ away I soldered the 3 wires together, chucked the piece into my Dremel and very carefully twisted the wires to form cable. Just a very simplified version of a rope walk.
The masts were indeed made of metal (the guide said iron not steel) up to just above the lower crosstrees and then timber above, as my visit to Greenwich this week confirmed.

IMG_2941.jpeg

Back