Another hobby interest

MavRick... those are nice fossils. When ever I have a chance I am out scouring the Southwest for fossils. Almost as fun as building models.

I have collected a few fossils since was a young boy, collecting crinoids, coral and brachiopods from ditches in the ground near my house formed by rainwater runoff. My latest acquisition is a 4-5/8" megalodon tooth.
1699227394940.png

I have a few carcharidon chubutensis teeth in PERFECT condition, about 1-1/4" long from the Calvert Cliffs of Maryland, a well known megalodon tooth site. I purchased a couple mosasaurus teeth in Black Hills, SD recently.

Last edited:
Impressive tooth. I will be out that way next June. Perhaps I will plan to visit. It looks like a beautiful park and fossils to boot.

Impressive tooth. I will be out that way next June. Perhaps I will plan to visit. It looks like a beautiful park and fossils to boot.
The Calvert Cliffs is probably the most picked over fossil area in the world because of the amount of juvenile megalodon teeth known to be there, so finding one is difficult. It's a nice walk along the sandy cliff on the shore of Chesapeake Bay. Here are the typical teeth that can be found there. They tend to be small, and from the chubutensis species of shark. Usually they are picked out of the sandy cliff wall. What's remarkable is the incredible condition there are in. The teeth are sharp and all the detail has been retained. They look recent, not 8-12 million years old.

1699303596254.png

Back