Another Old Navy Guy

Hello All... 25 years active duty retired sailor. Retired 28 years ago. I haven't built a wooden ship since 1985 (or around there). I had built 3 POF models in '84 & '85. The Golden Hind, Bluenose and Wasa. I still have several sets of old ship plans, some planking and ship accessories in the closet. Don't know why, but I ventured a search on YouTube for model ships. So many sources and good info I didn't even know was available. Sparked my interest again. I found a builder building The Black Pearl Golden Version 2021 from ZHL. This really got my INTEREST!! I followed the videos (he's not finished yet) (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTDUIq-_Vmic_iCHSx-Mn6g). Couldn't help myself and ordered the Top Level of The Black Pearl (All-Scenario Version) and the additional model set that includes the top masts and sails. Haven't had the time yet to look over the SOS, but did briefly see a couple builds I want to follow. Since ordering the ZHL kit, I've spent most of my time searching for tools (don't have any anymore) and thinking about how I want to setup a model building station somewhere in the house. I don't usually write much, but wanted to say Hi to All. Robert.

Hello back to you, glad you joined our group.

I am 24 Year retired Airman, US Air Force.

What part of the USA are you from, we have members hiding all over the country.

You can list your location, in general or by city and state in your profile if you want.

I may help identify if someone esle is near your.

Click on your profile and look for sub heading "account details" which should have a spot for location and some other stuff.

Welcome Robert, I served 4 years on the Kitty Hawk and Coral Sea - AE-2, then worked Aircraft and MMIII atHill AFB - good tools are addictive in this hobby!

Hey Stargazer. Must be fun riding those carriers. My team and I provided security for the commissioning of the Carl Vinson. That ship was massive! I was never assigned to a ship, but did ride a couple for a few months.

Question: If I click the button to 'Watch' a build, is there a link somewhere that I can easily find it again?

I signed up as an Electrician Mate Seaman Apprentice (but never worked in the rating). The Navy now has a Special Operations rating for Explosive Ordnance Disposal. I retired as LCDR (LDO)

How about you Phil?

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.

Related to information and building logs of the Black Pearl kit .... here is the best place to get all available information

Thanks everyone. Uwek thanks. Now I'm thinking I'm likely WAY over my head on the kit I ordered. I have built several POF ships but that was so long ago (added to my 73 years old) that I don't even recognize some of the terminology on the builds.

This will be a long build for me. One thing that concerns me is following the directions only to later find that I should have done something in earlier steps that are now impossible or very hard to do.

Last edited:
I signed up as an Electrician Mate Seaman Apprentice (but never worked in the rating). The Navy now has a Special Operations rating for Explosive Ordnance Disposal. I retired as LCDR (LDO)

How about you Phil?
Started off in Army Security Agency ( same as the Navy Security Group) doing electronic spying for the NSA. Then went over to Satellite Communications (SATCOM) MOS 26Y4H. Used the GI Bill the become an electrical engineer - now retired.

Back