Attention scratch builders :)

I'm looking for the ultimate book, if there is such a thing. I'm scratch building the Discovery1789. There are 5 or 6 drawings available. I have them all. Two of them are from when the ship was modified for Vancouver's expedition to the Pacific Coast of North America and shows very little below the wales. ( they raised the quarterdeck and the forecastle). The rest show the proposed and "as fitted" from when she was converted to a bomb. Again they show very little (at least for my purposes) below the wales. Other than these drawings I have some drawings that John McKay made of her. They are the internal and external side profiles and a cutaway oblique looking from the starboard aft quarter. I have been following his drawings as his guesses are obviously going to be much more accurate than mine. I have nothing but a couple of recent paintings to show what the stern looked like. I bit off a mouthful. I don't think it's more than I can chew but I'm having to be very careful I don't choke :)
There are no plans to follow so I'm having to investigate as much as I can and make my best guess as to how she was put together. I have read Vancouver's book a few times looking for clues but there isn't that much there. I'm forging ahead regardless, it won't be a masterpiece by any stretch but it should look like the Discovery I think.
Anyway to the question. I'm looking for a book that talks about the construction of a ship of that period in some detail. I've had books recommended to me and after I bought them I found that they may answer one or two questions but that's it. Maybe that's the nature of the beast and there is nothing as comprehensive as I'm hoping for but it doesn't hurt to ask. If you had to recommend one book what would be your choice?

I may be able to stretch that out to two books, three at the outside:)

I'm looking for the ultimate book, if there is such a thing. I'm scratch building the Discovery1789. There are 5 or 6 drawings available. I have them all. Two of them are from when the ship was modified for Vancouver's expedition to the Pacific Coast of North America and shows very little below the wales. ( they raised the quarterdeck and the forecastle). The rest show the proposed and "as fitted" from when she was converted to a bomb. Again they show very little (at least for my purposes) below the wales. Other than these drawings I have some drawings that John McKay made of her. They are the internal and external side profiles and a cutaway oblique looking from the starboard aft quarter. I have been following his drawings as his guesses are obviously going to be much more accurate than mine. I have nothing but a couple of recent paintings to show what the stern looked like. I bit off a mouthful. I don't think it's more than I can chew but I'm having to be very careful I don't choke :)
There are no plans to follow so I'm having to investigate as much as I can and make my best guess as to how she was put together. I have read Vancouver's book a few times looking for clues but there isn't that much there. I'm forging ahead regardless, it won't be a masterpiece by any stretch but it should look like the Discovery I think.
Anyway to the question. I'm looking for a book that talks about the construction of a ship of that period in some detail. I've had books recommended to me and after I bought them I found that they may answer one or two questions but that's it. Maybe that's the nature of the beast and there is nothing as comprehensive as I'm hoping for but it doesn't hurt to ask. If you had to recommend one book what would be your choice?

I may be able to stretch that out to two books, three at the outside:)
Take a look at this book

The Construction and Fitting of the Sailing Man-of-War, 1650-1850
by Peter Goodwin (Author)

Take a look at "Building Plank on Frame Ship Models" by Ron McCarthy which is available in paperback for not much money. It is very detailed description about the construction of Crusier (1752) a snow rigged sloop.

You can find used books also on the webpage "Bookfinder.com"

In moment 16 Euros for this book is the cheapiest offer

Try abebooks.com. Price is $33. It must be out of print because I got it for much less.
View attachment 248696
The 350 was for Pete Goodwin's 'Construction and Fitting...'. There are a lot less of them! Though $350 is a bad joke. Most of Peter's are now rare and in high demand (hence the stupid prices) Incidentally Conway are considering a reprint of some of the Anatomy series, hopefully Covid hasn't affected their plans?

Back