AUTOCAD yes or not?

I'm considering purchasing the Autocad license. However, I wonder whether or not it is technically superior to other programs. I don't make it a question of costs, but of completeness.

AC is supposedly the master of CAD programs, but I think the program you choose depends on what you want to do with it. I have been using Turbo Cad for years as it fit my budget and thankfully has done everything I have needed. All the plans for the Euryalus books were done with Turbocad as one example. There are others as well and I hope other members will give info on their own experience.
Allan

I think it depends on what your planning on doing. If your doing serious CAD work I guess AC is the top of the heap. If your needs are a little more relaxed, then there are many inexpensive and free programs that will probably do everything you need.

you did not provide enough information to make a comment on

there are a lot of free CAD software that would work

Personally, I would first try AutoCad's Fusion 360 on a free licence. I have no idea what package is the best. I suspect there isn't a simple answer, all of them will be strong in some areas and weak in others, and some of it will also come down to personal preference. A friend who designs for a living uses several different products, depending on what he's making.

I’ve been using AutoCAD for about 35 years. It is certainly the professional’s choice but at about $2,000/yr for a single seat license it’s a little expensive for hobby use (IMO) Money aside, the learning curve To get proficient with AC is very steep. It is not very intuitive as there about dozen different ways to draw a simple line. Since you are questioning the “completeness” of AutoCAD vs other software, let me say that I believe every other CAD software used by professionals (and I’ve used many over the years) cannot come close to the completeness of theAutoCAD suite. There are modules available for every industry be it mechanical, electrical, civil engineering, surveyors, BIM, etc. However, I don’t believe there is a wooden ship modeling module. :rolleyes:

As others have said you may be happier with something simpler to start like Fusion 360.

One important factor not mentioned in any of the above is the difference between AutoCAD and AutoCAD lt. The 'lite' version licence is a few hundred pounds a year, and is a very powerful tool. The full version is much more expensive, with the main difference being that the full one will work in 3D, the lite is only 2D.

I do architectural work with the lite version, and it is a very capable and versatile draughting tool; if you plan to work in 2D.

Ratty

Back